Will I Be Happy?

nyyhoneybee

Backstory: DH and I booked Epic for August. I've cruised before but never NCL, and DH has never cruised. My TA told me to avoid any NCL ship that isn't the EPic because I won't be happy compared to what I am used to.

I graduate in December with my Master's and I'd like to book a cruise as my gift. I looked at RCI and then NCL after DH said he would like to stick to freestyle.

The Epic Caribbean only does the Eastern route. I just did that this past August and frankly, none of the ports really grab at me to go back (most of them I've been to a number of times). The Western would be on NCL Pearl. Will we be happy on the Pearl? Or should we stick to the Epic and I just enjoy having time on the ship seeing as how we won't have a lot of time on the ship this summer.

It's true that the Epic is much different than the rest of the fleet. But, to be honest, if you look at those who peruse this board, we all like many of the ships. Our favorite is the Dawn. But, we've enjoyed others as well. If you like Freestyle cruising and have a sense of adventure, any of the NCL ships will be great. But, it looks like itinerary is something important to you. So, base your decision on that. If you happen to fall in love with the ship (as many of us do), then all the better!

That is a tough decision. The 2 ships are very different in size and entertainment options.

We see the ship as the destination and the ports of call are not the deciding factor.

We sailed the Epic in August of 2010 on the eastern route. We have sailed that itinerary many times but we wanted to sail the Epic.

We went to a beach on St Thomas and St Maarten and never got off the ship in Nassau. The Epic is an amazing resort and to have it all to yourself in port is a tremnendous perk.

The Epic is an amazing resort and to have it all to yourself in port is a tremnendous perk.

DH has never been to any of the ports so he will probably want to get off and explore every port, otherwise it wouldn't even be a question in my mind. I'd go enjoy St. Thomas (one of my favorite ports to be honest) and stay on the ship the rest of the week if it was up to me lol!

Backstory: DH and I booked Epic for August. I've cruised before but never NCL, and DH has never cruised. My TA told me to avoid any NCL ship that isn't the EPic because I won't be happy compared to what I am used to.

I graduate in December with my Master's and I'd like to book a cruise as my gift. I looked at RCI and then NCL after DH said he would like to stick to freestyle.

The Epic Caribbean only does the Eastern route. I just did that this past August and frankly, none of the ports really grab at me to go back (most of them I've been to a number of times). The Western would be on NCL Pearl. Will we be happy on the Pearl? Or should we stick to the Epic and I just enjoy having time on the ship seeing as how we won't have a lot of time on the ship this summer.

the NCL fleet is to put it in one word: amazing, someone else mentioned that the dawn was their favorite, it is mine also, but i have heard such great things about the pearl, on here and from my family.

while the epic would be "epic" because they didnt name the boat that for nothing :)

having been on three different NCL boats, NCL has never ceased to amaze me with what they can do to make a ship even more spectacular then the last time.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

I think you'll be happy with any ship. I've never disliked a cruise ship. I remember the first time I sailed Carnival, everyone told me it wouldn't be as nice as Princess (which I had sailed in the past), but I booked Carnival anyway because I couldn't afford the other lines. Well, I loved Carnival! Any cruise line or ship is filled with tons of fun activities, good food, and lots to see. If you have a good attitude, you will have fun no matter what.

I think you'll be happy with any ship. I've never disliked a cruise ship. I remember the first time I sailed Carnival, everyone told me it wouldn't be as nice as Princess (which I had sailed in the past), but I booked Carnival anyway because I couldn't afford the other lines. Well, I loved Carnival! Any cruise line or ship is filled with tons of fun activities, good food, and lots to see. If you have a good attitude, you will have fun no matter what.

I have disliked a ship, but that was because the food was awful and the ships staff was rude & nasty, among other issues.

Thanks for the input everyone! I have to give it more thought and talk it over with DH but I think we might give the Pearl a try.

Our favorite is the Pearl and we have no intention of sailing on the Epic. We have read the reviews, the posts on CC, and looked at the pix and movie bits about the Epic and DH and I decided we just would not be happy on that ship.

I think you would be happy on any of the ships and I would be hesitant to book passage through a TA who tells me to steer clear of all ships but the biggest and the newest.

I would be hesitant to book passage through a TA who tells me to steer clear of all ships but the biggest and the newest.

My family has been using him for years and this is the first time he's ever said anything like that. I am gonna shop around for a TA with this trip (as I wish we did a bit for this summer for OBC) but I do trust him.

What are you used to?

A cruise is what you make of it, regardless of the ship or cruise line. Find an itinerary you want to go on and then find a ship.

I am a fan of the biggest and newest ships, and I love the Oasis and Allure of the Seas, but the Epic is right up there with them, but I felt the cabins are very tight and hate the bathrooms. I just sailed on the Gem and enjoyed it. There was plenty to do on both ships. In 19 cruises, I can honestly say I was on two ships I didn't care for - but I still have a great time on the cruise.

NCL is different and you may find you absolutely love the Freestyle aspect of cruising. But any cruise is what you make of it.

First of all, I've been on 3 of 4 NCL's Jewel class ships, including Pearl which is my favourite. I haven't been on Epic and so far I have no intention to do so - it's that ugly to me. ;) I'll rather wait for the Breakaway and Getaway which are similar to Epic with hopefully many more of the flaws fixed too.

But I see from your signature that you haven't been on the mega-sized RCI ships either so I can't see why you couldn't enjoy Pearl. As others have said, it's mostly about either the ship or the itinerary: on Epic the itinerary doesn't matter that much if you're happy within the ship and if you want to get a specific itinerary, all newer NCL ships are great picks (I'm sure that older ones are too but I know for sure only of the Jewel class).

I'd suggest that you'd try to forget TA's unthoughtful remark, book Pearl and just enjoy your cruise and the itinerary you want. :)

Our only cruise experience was on the Epic, and I was asking the same question last fall, wondering if we'd totally spoiled ourselves for anything "less". We ended up booking the Pearl Western Caribbean, though, based on the ports of call, and now I'm just thrilled with the reviews we're reading about the ship and crew.

So I know we'll have a great time on Pearl, but we'd book Epic again in a heartbeat, too.

If you have to ask - then you are setting yourself up for a disappointment

I don't totally agree with that to be honest.

First of all, I've been on 3 of 4 NCL's Jewel class ships, including Pearl which is my favourite. I haven't been on Epic and so far I have no intention to do so - it's that ugly to me. ;) I'll rather wait for the Breakaway and Getaway which are similar to Epic with hopefully many more of the flaws fixed too.

I can't wait for the prices to come down to try the Breakaway. I'm considering possibly one of the RCI mega ships but I'm not sure if it's worth the higher price.

we'd book Epic again in a heartbeat, too.

Hoping we feel the same!

willysgrandma, most of my cruises have been RCI but I haven't done the mega ships....yet. They are under consideration for this cruise also. I really want to do Vision of the Seas (look at the ports of call in Jan!) but I think DH is going to want a newer ship then VoS :(

The Pearl is a wonderful ship with a great staff. We've sailed her whenever the opportunity is there. No complaints at all. I've never sailed the Epic so can't compare. But I think you'd be happy on the Pearl, and have an itinerary that interests you would be a plus.

Enjoy your cruise, whichever you decide.

well, your DH wants freestyle. I presume he has read enough to know what that means and likes the descriptions. My DH refused to cruise until freestyle options drew him in...now he is hooked:D. you do not mention which ships or lines (edit: i see you posted RCI while my post was in process) you have sailed or what you liked or disliked about them...that info may help us guess if you'd be happy on Pearl. still having a happy spouse is vital, especially if you want him to fall in love with cruising. so if he wants freestyle and you either like or are neutral on freestyle, go for NCL this time. NCL is generally more casual than other lines with no true formal nights, so many people do not dress up...You can dress up as much as you like any time you wish, but the folks at the next table may be wearing khakis and t shirts. Will that bother you or can you enjoy your evening your way while they enjoy their evening their way. You will probably have different wait staff and a different table each night, possibly just the two of you unless you go out of your way to join others. did you love getting to know your waitstaff and table mates on other cruises? If so, you may miss that. Food is subjective, and it is hard to guess if you'll like NCL's menus and food....there are a number of paid specialty options if you wish to avail yourselves of them...some people seem offended by the presence of such restaurants...i hope you are not bothered by their existance:rolleyes:...go or don't go, it is your call.

I have been on Gem and Jewel, sister ship's to pearl. I liked both. good layouts, plenty to do. Epic is different, for me some ways better, some ways not better than other NCL ships. I would disagree with the TA...there is much to be said for NCL ships for the right cruiser. Other cruisers are not happy on any NCL ship because they just are not freestyle types or they like another line or they do not like the food or whatever. I am glad there are plenty of lines to suit a variety of people and moods.

?..

willysgrandma, most of my cruises have been RCI but I haven't done the mega ships....yet. They are under consideration for this cruise also. I really want to do Vision of the Seas (look at the ports of call in Jan!) but I think DH is going to want a newer ship then VoS :(

My first Royal Caribbean cruise was on VoS...it was fine, but I did not really fall in love with RCI ship's until I sailed IOS. VoS itineraries are intriguing, but the ship itself lacks the bells and whistles...I have grown attached to some of those extras, but on a port intensive itinerary, I miss them less.

You obviously like cruising and your DH is a newbie...If you want to continue to cruise s a couple, I presume it is important that his first cruise is a good one...if so, try to pick a ship that will please him...Like you, I doubt that is VoS.

Enjoy your cruise, whichever you decide.

Thank you for the info!

You will probably have different wait staff and a different table each night, possibly just the two of you unless you go out of your way to join others. did you love getting to know your waitstaff and table mates on other cruises? If so, you may miss that. Food is subjective, and it is hard to guess if you'll like NCL's menus and food....there are a number of paid specialty options if you wish to avail yourselves of them...some people seem offended by the presence of such restaurants...i hope you are not bothered by their existance:rolleyes:...go or don't go, it is your call.

I am afraid that I am going to miss getting to know my waitstaff and tablemates, that has always been a highlight of a cruise for me. We are doing the Epic this summer for our honeymoon/one year anniversary and I think we will be doing a lot of specialty options so I'm hoping I won't miss it that much. But, for a normal cruise that I wouldn't splurge more then once a cruise, I'm hesitant. I really want to fall in love with freestyle, it would make things easier.

Freestyle & the Haven is what convinced DH to go ahead and agree to a honeymoon cruise.

You obviously like cruising and your DH is a newbie...If you want to continue to cruise s a couple, I presume it is important that his first cruise is a good one...if so, try to pick a ship that will please him...Like you, I doubt that is VoS.

His first cruise will be the Epic this summer and I think it will be to much of a downgrade, so to speak, to go from the Epic to VoS. I wish some of the newer ships did itineraries that came close to VoS but since that isn't the case, I'm shopping around for something middle of the line but similar pricing that will give me some ports that I'll enjoy.

Thank you for the info!

I am afraid that I am going to miss getting to know my waitstaff and tablemates, that has always been a highlight of a cruise for me. We are doing the Epic this summer for our honeymoon/one year anniversary and I think we will be doing a lot of specialty options so I'm hoping I won't miss it that much. But, for a normal cruise that I wouldn't splurge more then once a cruise, I'm hesitant. I really want to fall in love with freestyle, it would make things easier.

Freestyle & the Haven is what convinced DH to go ahead and agree to a honeymoon cruise.

His first cruise will be the Epic this summer and I think it will be to much of a downgrade, so to speak, to go from the Epic to VoS. I wish some of the newer ships did itineraries that came close to VoS but since that isn't the case, I'm shopping around for something middle of the line but similar pricing that will give me some ports that I'll enjoy.

Honestly, there is a chance any regular cabin on any ship may feel like a big downgrade if he starts with a Haven suite on Epic...It sounds like a wonderful honeymoon...what a delightful"dilemma". I can switch back to regular cabins after sailing in suites, but I always miss the suite life on NCL.

I, too, wish a bigger, newer ship were doing those VoS itineraries. EOS has 10 night sailings in December, but she has lots of sea days and gets mixed reviews...OTOH, she seems geographically convenient, the suite price may be good, and you might get bonus C&A points.

having been on three different NCL boats, NCL has never ceased to amaze me with what they can do to make a ship even more spectacular then the last time.!

This was funny to me, we just got off a 4 nighter on the Sky, on day 3 my DH made a comment about the ship looking just like the last one we were on. Duh! It is the last one we were one. We did the Sky 2 times, he thought they just made a choice and stuck with it, went as far as saying they weren't very original in the decor! I nearly died laughing.

NCL Sky 3/19/12

This was funny to me, we just got off a 4 nighter on the Sky, on day 3 my DH made a comment about the ship looking just like the last one we were on. Duh! It is the last one we were one. We did the Sky 2 times, he thought they just made a choice and stuck with it, went as far as saying they weren't very original in the decor! I nearly died laughing.

NCL Sky 3/19/12

Hahaha, very observant though!

Honestly, there is a chance any regular cabin on any ship may feel like a big downgrade if he starts with a Haven suite on Epic...It sounds like a wonderful honeymoon...what a delightful"dilemma". I can switch back to regular cabins after sailing in suites, but I always miss the suite life on NCL.

I, too, wish a bigger, newer ship were doing those VoS itineraries. EOS has 10 night sailings in December, but she has lots of sea days and gets mixed reviews...OTOH, she seems geographically convenient, the suite price may be good, and you might get bonus C&A points.

This is true, but even more of a reason why I am afraid to sail VoS with him next, make sense? We can't do December, otherwise I would consider it. Last semester of my master's program & busy season at work for him. I considered Celebrity but the prices are way to high. So it's either RCL Freedom of the Seas (so wouldn't complain), the mega ships or the Epic for us unless I decide to give the Pearl a try despite what my TA says. Hm.

Love it! I would be laughing also!

My husband and I have had minor complaints on some of our cruises, but nothing that halted the enjoyment of the cruise.

We like the Dawn also. While it is nice to have the same waiter every night, it's also fun to meet different people every night. I like both options.

I agree with many of the other posters - a cruise is what you make it. We try to stay away from any "complainers" we come across. :-)

Hope you enjoy whichever ship/line you choose.

Archived