If you have a smart phone...

Bridge Maven

Do you still bring a digital camera on a cruise?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still bring a digital camera on a cruise?

• Yes, but I wind up using only my smart phone for photos
    • Yes, because I have a very good digital camera
    • No, because it is so much easier to use my smart phone
    • No, because I use my i pad for photos
    • Only on cruises with very special itineraries
    • I don't have a smart phone
    • What is a smart phone

I love how convenient my phone camera is. Can you tell I always carry my phone with me? :p I've used it a lot in my previous cruises and a lot of the indoor shots are crappy. The flash on my phone wasn't sufficient so yes I still bring a dedicated camera.

Hmmm. Maybe I need a re-do. I voted that I don't bring the digital camera with me on vacation, primarily because my phone takes better pictures. The other reason is that I don't take a lot of pictures because that takes away from my enjoyment of the moment.

However, we are going to Alaska, and I might change my mind. Phone takes 9 MP, camera takes 7MP, but has more functions.

Even the best cell phone camera can't compare to the quality that a common point and shoot digital camera has. It's a function of the size of the CCD sensor inside the device. A cell phone has a relatively small sensor due to the space constrictions inside the device. A common, auto focus digital cameras have much more space, and a much larger sensor. This improves the image, especially in low light situations, because there is more surface area recording the image. Plus, a digital camera has a much better flash than even the best cell phones.

How many megapixels a camera has is not a reliable measurement of the quality of the images. In most cases, less is more, and when setting your camera, whether cell or digital, it's best to settle for smaller settings.

See this article for more information:

http://gizmodo.com/5888552/reminder-megapixels-dont-matter

I always bring my pocket sized point and shoot digital camera, not my cell phone, when I'm on vacation.

I don't use my phone in europe as I dont have an international sim card or plan...so I use a regular camera.

Even if i stayed state side, I'd bring my real camera. The camera on my droid SUCKS. Apple wins the camera dept hands down from what I've seen. Droid 2 loses majorly. lol

... The other reason is that I don't take a lot of pictures because that takes away from my enjoyment of the moment. ...

So true. I do watch some people so busy taking pictures,they do not get to enjoy it. Okay, maybe they enjoy taking pictures, I guess I mean "the moment" like the poster above indicated.

By the way, regarding higher pixel, etc. All those things mean better quality, but if the content is poor, you just wind up with high quality crap - LOL!

I carry two digital cameras. A waterproof pocket model for snorkeling, beach, and "normal" sightseeing. Then I have a long zoom pro-sumer for wildlife and scenery. My phone doesn't come close to matching either for function or quality of shot. Boogs is right about the mega-pixel count trap.

I got an iPhone4S and used it on the fall Equinox crossing. The pictures were fantastic for the most part. You do lose some functionality, but carrying the phone is so much easier than the carrying the camera. I can also carry the phone in my pocket when I fly. The camera was packed away. We've been traveling very light in recent years with only a carryon and a backpack no matter the length of the trip.

Cameras on smartphones don't come close to DSLRs. Period. Where I like to take a snapshot of something while I'm out with my phone, I groan at the pixel quality.

So although sometimes I grumble at the end of a 8+hr tour lugging my camera, when I see the photos once I get home, I'm reminded why it was worth it. Gorgeous photos that captured my wonderful vacation! :D

We don't use our iPhones when travelling because of the high roaming charges. My small point and shoot digital camera has more functions than my phone and DH has a DSLR camera that is heavy, but he uses it when he wants special photos. We download photos to my iPad. At home we often use the phone for spontaneous photos.

We don't use our iPhones when travelling because of the high roaming charges. My small point and shoot digital camera has more functions than my phone and DH has a DSLR camera that is heavy, but he uses it when he wants special photos. We download photos to my iPad. At home we often use the phone for spontaneous photos.

Smtcan - I thought that if you had roaming turned off and your smart phone in airplane mode that you didn't have to worry about roaming charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smtcan - I thought that if you had roaming turned off and your smart phone in airplane mode that you didn't have to worry about roaming charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but there is not much point in carrying the phone around if we are not using it as a phone - might as well carry the small camera.

Sheila

How about simply:

"Yes. I bring my camera because I like having purpose-designed products do what they're designed to do."

This poll implies that the ONLY time you'd use a digital camera over a smartphone is if your camera is SOOOO super cool, or there is some really weird itinerary that would demand it.

It's a huge polling bias.

Who really ever looks at old travel pictures again anyway? I use my iPhone to take pictures to upload to Facebook. If I also brought a digital camera I would also have to bring a laptop to download the pictures. I know only travel with my iPad, it's a lot easier.

Who really ever looks at old travel pictures again anyway? I use my iPhone to take pictures to upload to Facebook. If I also brought a digital camera I would also have to bring a laptop to download the pictures. I know only travel with my iPad, it's a lot easier.

Really? I do just fine with only my digital camera. I download my photos when I get home. Why do you need to download them onto your laptop during your cruise? With a $30 32 GB memory card, and resolution set at about 7 MP, which is more than plenty to print or share here on CruiseCritic, I can take almost 2,000 images, more than enough to keep me going for an entire cruise.

As to looking at old travel photos, I occasionally post photos here to show what a stateroom balcony looks like, or what one might see while transiting the Panama Canal, etc.

iPad or iPhone - neither beats a mid priced point and shoot digital camera for picture quality and ease of use.

Really? I do just fine with only my digital camera. I download my photos when I get home. Why do you need to download them onto your laptop during your cruise? With a $30 32 GB memory card, and resolution set at about 7 MP, which is more than plenty to print or share here on CruiseCritic, I can take almost 2,000 images, more than enough to keep me going for an entire cruise.

As to looking at old travel photos, I occasionally post photos here to show what a stateroom balcony looks like, or what one might see while transiting the Panama Canal, etc.

iPad or iPhone - neither beats a mid priced point and shoot digital camera for picture quality and ease of use.

Having had a memory card give up on me, I always download pics to my iPad when I am away. I would hate to lose all my pictures because of a faulty card. Of course if I took them on my phone they would back up to iCloud .....

Archived