New to cruising- a few questions! :)

hihello

Hi,

I will be going on the Carnival Miracle in May (leaving from NYC). I just a few questions. Do you need to get vaccines for the cruise? (as they suggest for you to get vaccines when you go to Cuba, Dominican, etc). Our cruise will be going to Nassau and Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, as well as Grand Turk.

When you get off the ship at these ports, do you need to get your passport stamp (when getting off then coming back on)?

Lastly, since we are driving from Ottawa, Ontario to NYC we had planned to just park at the pier there and I know it is 35$ a day (I drive a KIA Sorento, will it be more for the size of the vehicle?) even though there are probably cheaper options, would this be the safest/easiest/fastest option?

Thanks so much everyone! :) Looking forward to my first cruise!!:)

It makes no difference what size you vehicle is it will be 35 a day. The parking is right next to the terminal. You will pull in and drop off anyone sailing with you and your luggage. Then you will go and park. Very easy. :)

Since you're from Canada you may want to check with your federal health department if they recommend or advise any immunizations or other precautions, but for US citizens there are none required for those 3 islands.

I have heard that you can request a visitor's entry/exit stamp in your passport, if you're from North America, but I have no idea where this would be done.

As for the parking I do know there used to be an over sized vechicle surcharge for SUVs, mini-vans, and pick-up trucks at the dock parking but I have no idea how much it currently is or at what wheel base or vehicle height they start to assess it at. It is not currently noted at the website http://www.nycruise.com/parkNYC.html but you may want to email/call them directly w/ any questions.

You may want to call around to hotels in NE New Jersey, Westchester county NY, and SW Connecticut to see if any offer a sleep and cruise package with shuttle available (maybe a seperate charge) to the Manhattan cruise terminal. This may work out to be less expensive than parking in NYC.

Welcome to cruising!!!

Yes, to park at the pier is the most time efficient as it's just a quick walk to the ship terminal and back when you return. Not cheap, but nice and close for sure.

Half Moon Cay is absolutely paradise; note this is a tender port; the ship doesn't dock there--it anchors. Worth the hassle of the tender though as it's a perfect crescent of sand and crystal clear water.

You can post the Q about shots on the Carnival board too if you'd like, as other Canadians sail and could answer your Q, but we did not get any for this itinerary, or any other Caribbean or Mexican itin either. (all this talk about Canada makes me want a RINGOLO or two!!)

You may like to know that you can expedite your check-in process by having these 3 things ready as you walk up to the counter: funpass, photo IDs and credit card. Handing all 3 over seems to speed up our check-in vs. waiting to be asked and having to find them!

Have fun! Have sailed Miracle and enjoyed it.

Hi,

When you get off the ship at these ports, do you need to get your passport stamp (when getting off then coming back on)?

You photo will be taken at embarkation and posted on your key card (it has the size of a credit card) - you will need this card to get off the ship, and come back, and yes, they look at you and your photo. You will also need a photo ID in some ports.

Hi,

I will be going on the Carnival Miracle in May (leaving from NYC). I just a few questions. Do you need to get vaccines for the cruise? (as they suggest for you to get vaccines when you go to Cuba, Dominican, etc). Our cruise will be going to Nassau and Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, as well as Grand Turk.

Lastly, since we are driving from Ottawa, Ontario to NYC we had planned to just park at the pier there and I know it is 35$ a day (I drive a KIA Sorento, will it be more for the size of the vehicle?) even though there are probably cheaper options, would this be the safest/easiest/fastest option?

I have been to numerous islands off a ship, and never has a US citizen, did I need extra vaccinations. I doubt that Canada would require it but I can't answer. As far as the passport at each stop, the ships are filled with internations travelers, and have never noticed any passports being required to get off or on the ship. However, it's always good to have with you, and you would be required to have an official photo ID, such as a Drivers License for all adults.

Being from the NYC area, I would recommend that you just park at the docks. The parking garages are on top of the port buildings. They are safe and secure. Although you might find something cheaper, it would be highly unlikely and not worth the risk.

On a side note, since you are driving, I would recommend that if you are using a GPS to carefully also map out your route once in NYC because I have found GPS, with the bridges, tunnels, and tall buildings, that you will lose you signal, and need to know where you are going. If you get lost, just remember while driving South, the cruise port will be on your right along the river, past the George Washington Bridge so just point you car that way.

Thanks so much everyone! :) I will just park at the pier in NYC...less of a hassle.

A couple more questions....I got travel insurance with Carnival (it was like 35$) which covers medical. I never even thought to ask about cancellation insurance. Is it too late, now? Also, I am going with a friend. Will our 'room tab' be on just one credit card? (as in we would have to choose who's card to use...)

Thanks! :)

Archived