Sober cruisers on Victory?

traveltripper

Love to hear your tips, tricks! What to do and what not, i.e. what truly was fun vs. fun for the drunks! Thanks!

oops, forgot to ask, did anyone see Friends of Bill on the Victory??

I had a very nice sober time on the Victory! Friends of Bill were there but I didn't go. There was an emphasis on rum tours, rum drinks, etc., but since I don't drink it didn't bother me at all. The itinerary and ship were wonderful! Nancy

DH and I don't drink-just our choice. There is generally plenty to do depending on what you enjoy. DH complains there isn't, but almost every time I mention an activity he turns it down--except eating and sleeping. Bah humbug. Like everything else, a cruise is what you make of it. Every ship we have been on has listed Friends of Bill on the activities. Go and enjoy.

I can't remember whether this was true on the Victory, but often there are excursions offered in rum-punch vs no alcohol versions, so you can pick which catamaran tour, for example, that you want. And the alcohol-free one is less expensive, of course!

Have a great cruise. Although you will see a lot of drinking, we generally see very few drunks. The last night is apparently a heavy drinking night, in part because the cruise line delivers to the cabins the booze that folks bought in port and some apparently choose to carry it home in themselves. Yikes!

Anyway, you can have a lot of fun on a cruise without drinking.

I generally don't drink because it triggers my RLS. I don't have a problem on cruises in terms of drunks... Some of them are entertaining, some I feel sorry for. I don't tend to look for them... They don't impact my cruise at all.

There is plenty to do on the ship without alcohol... Alcohol is certainly not needed. Friends of Bill usually meets in the library.

I don't see why people get off the ship at the ports and walk down to the first bar and get drunk-- makes no sense to me, but I'm not on their vacation. I'd rather go see the island.

You will see people on the last morning before getting off who are wearing dark sunglasses, etc. They look worn out and tired. Again, that is them. I personally like to leave the ship feeling refreshed.

I generally do not drink, and have had a fantastic time on Carnival. I'm not 'sober', I just don't like the taste or effects of alcohol for the most part.

We enjoy the shows and the comedians at night. I usually pour a water or a Coke in my room and carry it with me so that I am not bothered to order a drink, though I don't feel like I've ever really been pestered if I just said 'no'.

During the day we LOVE trivia, think the dance classes are silly, but fun, and enjoy just sitting and relaxing- reading a book, watching a DVD, playing cards.

In ports we tend to alternate beach days vs history of the area days. Most excursions do seem to offer rum punch, but they all have other options as well.

Our bar waitress in the MDR was the nicest crew member we met, and I felt awful we never ordered anything from her- so I did finally break my "no sign and sail card spending challenge" and got two virgin daquiri's at the end of the cruise.

This time around we are doing the Chef's table and I have been told soda will be provided for me, since I do not drink wine. I wish they would lower the price, as much of it seems to be due to the wine- but whatever.

Edited by skittl1321

Was on Victory last month, loved the ship. We do drink somewhat; not overboard tho.

If you are going out of San Juan (Victory will be replaced by Valor next year), you will have a great cruise. A different port every day except Tuesday. I did a review which has photos and things we did at each port. We had a great time - didn't need alcohol to do it either!

Of course, there are the deck parties, comedians, shows, etc. Always something to do. Dh did bean bag toss, I did some trivia, we did a dance class, and just did some relaxing.

Its a nice ship. Enjoy if you go!

People often complain about all the smoking.

Smoking areas are limited, drinking is everywhere

and so are the drunks.

Not a real fair answer.....in all of our cruises we have never seen drunks "everywhere"....as a matter of fact, we rarely see alot of "drunks". We don't drink much at all and have wonderful, fun cruises each and every time. All cruises have "Friends of Bill" meetings....go and have a wonderful time!! More power to you.....stay "sober"!

Can't speak for the Victory, but I attended all the Friends of Bill W meetings on the Legend, and enjoyed the meetings. They were right before dinner and some of us decided that as that was cutting in to dinner, we got each others cabin numbers in case we needed to talk. Yes there is a lot of drinking on board, but you can find things to do where you are not surrounded by it. For those of you that don't have a problem with drinking, to some of us, just having a bar on every floor, can be threatening. Go the first day to the meetings and get some support system going. And have a great time. I love the fruit punch the bar tenders will make for me, they throw in an umbrella and I feel "normal".:rolleyes:

Edited by marshhawk

I quit drinking in my early teens (no joke), and never had any affection for alcohol or drunks after that. I haven't cruised in summer or during spring break, so I can't speak for those times when I suspect the number of young partiers is probably higher. But unless you're hanging out in bars or clubs, or signing up for partying excursions, I don't think you need to worry about drunks.

Even the frequent servers in certain areas tend to leave those of us alone who never order alcohol. We're a waste of time, especially if we order soda with a bubbles sticker.

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the great responses!

I realized that we only have one sea day, and the rest of the trip we'll be in a different island. So I should be pretty busy!

I'm a recovering alcoholic, and this is my first sober cruise. I was on the Legend for my first cruise ever, and unfortunately I drank up a storm. This is my 2nd cruise, but first one sober, in fact first vacation ever sober. I'm pretty excited needless to say.

I'm glad to hear about the mtgs, I'll look for them in the daily paper. I do remember trying to do trivia and that kind of thing, so I'll actually be able to do it this time!!! YAY!

I love dancing so will probably hit the club. I'm thankful to have my strongest supporter, my husband, by my side. So if things get dicey I just give the signal and we are outta there!

Marshhawk: What did your fruit punch cost? I'm considering the soda card now as I understand you get fruit juices with it as well as soda.

I'm guessing this is a no, but has anyone had any luck with sharing a soda card between a couple?

funinthesun1964: Thanks!! I'll check out your pics. Yes, we leave from Puerto Rico and we are already booked with a balcony!!! So psyched! We leave this May.

It is a great cruise to take as your first one in your sobriety. You will be very busy every day so there will not be a lot of downtime. I recommend hitting the meetings to get a support group if you need one. As Marshhawk said, many will give you cabin numbers, etc in case you have an emergency. All but my first cruise has been done since I was sober. Even then, I had a little sobriety before I hit my first cruise. I do remember my first beach vacation sober and feeling a bit "out of sorts" at the start. My mind just equated the experience with drinking so I was a bit taken aback as my old instincts jumped in.

I love to cruise now and really don't give the drinking much thought (I am around it everyday since I am a bartender...lol). I just catch up on things that I don't have too much time for at home (books, movies, etc). I actually spend a lot of time in the evenings in my cabin just relaxing.

Go and have fun, but have support in place. It sounds like you have a great and understanding husband so that is a good start.

PS- People ask how I cruise so much and a lot had to do with extra money since I quit drinking.....

Edited by tiggerman101

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the great responses!

I realized that we only have one sea day, and the rest of the trip we'll be in a different island. So I should be pretty busy!

I'm a recovering alcoholic, and this is my first sober cruise. I was on the Legend for my first cruise ever, and unfortunately I drank up a storm. This is my 2nd cruise, but first one sober, in fact first vacation ever sober. I'm pretty excited needless to say.

I'm glad to hear about the mtgs, I'll look for them in the daily paper. I do remember trying to do trivia and that kind of thing, so I'll actually be able to do it this time!!! YAY!

I love dancing so will probably hit the club. I'm thankful to have my strongest supporter, my husband, by my side. So if things get dicey I just give the signal and we are outta there!

Marshhawk: What did your fruit punch cost? I'm considering the soda card now as I understand you get fruit juices with it as well as soda.

I'm guessing this is a no, but has anyone had any luck with sharing a soda card between a couple?

funinthesun1964: Thanks!! I'll check out your pics. Yes, we leave from Puerto Rico and we are already booked with a balcony!!! So psyched! We leave this May.

The soda cards have been replaced by a soda sticker that they put on your S&S card, and most bartenders will actually swipe your card to ensure that it's your picture that comes up.......so it's pretty difficult to share a card.

It might actually be cheaper to each bring your own 12 pack on board and/or order a can of soda to split.

You might want to be prepared for slim to no attendance at the meetings. I've heard that often nobody shows up, and the meeting is really just a meeting place, no Carnival employee or anyone is there to get things started.

It is a great cruise to take as your first one in your sobriety. You will be very busy every day so there will not be a lot of downtime. I recommend hitting the meetings to get a support group if you need one. As Marshhawk said, many will give you cabin numbers, etc in case you have an emergency. All but my first cruise has been done since I was sober. Even then, I had a little sobriety before I hit my first cruise. I do remember my first beach vacation sober and feeling a bit "out of sorts" at the start. My mind just equated the experience with drinking so I was a bit taken aback as my old instincts jumped in.

I love to cruise now and really don't give the drinking much thought (I am around it everyday since I am a bartender...lol). I just catch up on things that I don't have too much time for at home (books, movies, etc). I actually spend a lot of time in the evenings in my cabin just relaxing.

Go and have fun, but have support in place. It sounds like you have a great and understanding husband so that is a good start.

PS- People ask how I cruise so much and a lot had to do with extra money since I quit drinking.....

I hit 90 days this Friday. When I cruise I'll have a little over 5 mos sobriety. I'm nervous about my old instincts kicking in to, but I'm very determined to overcome it and have a wonderful time.

As I said, I'll be with my husband, my best friend and confidant. We love the arts and I missed all the shows on my drunken cruise. So this time I cannot wait to be able to experience them, even if they are lame. We are also goofballs and have fun no matter.

I'll def hit up at least one mtg.

Yeah, we have so much money left over, that at first I was checking with my creditors to make sure they received my payments, and checking the bank acct to make sure the payment cleared!

Thanks so much ~

The soda cards have been replaced by a soda sticker that they put on your S&S card, and most bartenders will actually swipe your card to ensure that it's your picture that comes up.......so it's pretty difficult to share a card.

It might actually be cheaper to each bring your own 12 pack on board and/or order a can of soda to split.

You might want to be prepared for slim to no attendance at the meetings. I've heard that often nobody shows up, and the meeting is really just a meeting place, no Carnival employee or anyone is there to get things started.

We planned on bringing our allowed 12 pack per person of soda water on board, so maybe a soda card is not worth it. I really don't want a bunch of Coca Cola, as that'd just make me fat! I'm already overweight so don't need the help!

I heard about the mtgs being like that, but thanks for mentioning it. I'll be prepared for whatever.

Love to hear your tips, tricks! What to do and what not, i.e. what truly was fun vs. fun for the drunks! Thanks!

oops, forgot to ask, did anyone see Friends of Bill on the Victory??

I'm sure you met no offense to those of us who are able to drink socially (2 or 3 drinks) without getting sloppy drunk. We appreciate being able to relax and not worry about a potential DUI, especially my DH who has a CDL and much stricter limits. Trust me, we've both moonlighted as bartenders and there is an art to being stone cold sober and dealing with somebody who had a few drinks and thinks they're the life of the party.:rolleyes:

Best wishes on your continued sobriety:), just wondering if you ran this past your sponsor who may have some helpful input/strategies for you during the cruise.

I'm sure you met no offense to those of us who are able to drink socially (2 or 3 drinks) without getting sloppy drunk. We appreciate being able to relax and not worry about a potential DUI, especially my DH who has a CDL and much stricter limits. Trust me, we've both moonlighted as bartenders and there is an art to being stone cold sober and dealing with somebody who had a few drinks and thinks they're the life of the party.:rolleyes:

Best wishes on your continued sobriety:), just wondering if you ran this past your sponsor who may have some helpful input/strategies for you during the cruise.

I was speaking as to sober fun vs. drunk fun. I see a difference between a social drinker and a drunk. I did not mean to offend you if you did take the term offensively. I also don't need to trust you, as I've spent a lifetime drunk and am now experiencing it sober. Which is what led me to this post: Finding fun to do without being wasted with others who think they are the life of the party.

Thanks for your well wishes. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion I have a sponsor, although I'm working on getting one. I am reaching out here for thoughts on cruising sober, not necessarily looking for strategies. And so.... I guess you have nothing to add to this thread on the topic?

Edited by traveltripper

You might want to go to the buffet and I thought that they had fruit punch there. We get ice tea and put lemoade in it. Last time we did take a case of soda with us.

On our last cruise, I'm pretty sure the 12 pack of soda was good. Fruit punch would be nice!

I was speaking as to sober fun vs. drunk fun. I see a difference between a social drinker and a drunk. I did not mean to offend you if you did take the term offensively. I also don't need to trust you, as I've spent a lifetime drunk and am now experiencing it sober. Which is what led me to this post: Finding fun to do without being wasted with others who think they are the life of the party.

Thanks for your well wishes. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion I have a sponsor, although I'm working on getting one. I am reaching out here for thoughts on cruising sober, not necessarily looking for strategies. And so.... I guess you have nothing to add to this thread on the topic?

l guess not in your opinion. It appeared as though you were categorizing all who drink as drunks, if i misunderstood, so be it. I am the last person to be judgmental about anybody's drinking habits, having working in the industry for many years. btw, I do have experience with family members who have been helped by both NA and AA and they have shared their struggles being around those who use/drink earlyon in their recovery process.

Again, good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by keishashadow