Sober cruisers on Victory?

traveltripper

l guess not in your opinion. It appeared as though you were categorizing all who drink as drunks, if i misunderstood, so be it. I am the last person to be judgmental about anybody's drinking habits, having working in the industry for many years. btw, I do have experience with family members who have been helped by both NA and AA and they have shared their struggles being around those who use/drink earlyon in their recovery process.

Again, good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Are you for real? What part of the below short phrase taken from my original post makes you think I'm "categorizing all who drink as drunks"??? Good grief, relax. :)

"...what truly was fun vs. fun for the drunks!"

Edited by traveltripper

Are you for real? What part of the below short phrase taken from my original post makes you think I'm "categorizing all who drink as drunks"??? Good grief, relax. :)

"...what truly was fun vs. fun for the drunks!"

My thoughts as to the phrase -- Could have been '...what truly was fun for those who don't drink or have a few vs fun for the drunks.' Not criticizing, but as I read your phrase, it was either/or - no in betweens.

Congratulations on your sobriety. You will have a great cruise experience as a 'sober' cruiser. And you will see many who are not drunk.

We have a few drinks over the course of the week and have a great time. By no means are we 'drunks.'

There's a lot to do on a cruise for non-drinkers. My husband and I don't drink. There's always trivia games, karaoke (sorry, I can't spell), ping pong tournaments, minigolf, the library, card games, etc. Hopefully you aren't cruising alone and you have someone with you that you trust so you can look to them for support. There is alcohol EVERYWHERE, but it is avoidable. Use cash for your sail and sign account and only put a little bit on there or if you are going with someone else, only let them have charging privileges. You have to do whatever is going to work for you, but definitely think it out ahead of time. I probably gave you way more than you asked for, but I am a pastor in a drug and alcohol rehab facility. There are always friends of Bill W meetings and when we are on a cruise, I often stop in just to see if they need any help with the meeting. Some meetings are small, but there always seems to be a great connection between the group members.

l guess not in your opinion. It appeared as though you were categorizing all who drink as drunks, if i misunderstood, so be it. I am the last person to be judgmental about anybody's drinking habits, having working in the industry for many years. btw, I do have experience with family members who have been helped by both NA and AA and they have shared their struggles being around those who use/drink earlyon in their recovery process.

Again, good luck and enjoy your cruise.

It was very clear to everyone else here what he meant - that he was looking for AA support. He was specifically asking for fun things to do since he was now sober, instead of a drunk. I think you did, in fact, misunderstand.

My thoughts as to the phrase -- Could have been '...what truly was fun for those who don't drink or have a few vs fun for the drunks.' Not criticizing, but as I read your phrase, it was either/or - no in betweens.

Congratulations on your sobriety. You will have a great cruise experience as a 'sober' cruiser. And you will see many who are not drunk.

We have a few drinks over the course of the week and have a great time. By no means are we 'drunks.'

Actually that's exactly what I was getting after. Perhaps I'm biased, ;), but I don't see the correlation of me "categorizing all who drink as drunks". It's really besides the point. The point of the post was to find out what was fun for the non-drinkers or the ones who drink normally vs drunks.

Thanks for your well wishes. I've been reading reviews and yesterday, I couldn't help but feel a pang of - oh...:( - when I saw the pics of people drinking the "famous rum cocktail!" or "famous pina colada stands!!". My DH says don't think about it. My thoughts are that maybe I can have a fruity concoction minus the booze. Because honestly, when it's dog hot and you are dying of heat, an icy concoction like that is awesome.

It was very clear to everyone else here what he meant - that he was looking for AA support. He was specifically asking for fun things to do since he was now sober, instead of a drunk. I think you did, in fact, misunderstand.

Thanks - you are correct in my intentions.

There's a lot to do on a cruise for non-drinkers. My husband and I don't drink. There's always trivia games, karaoke (sorry, I can't spell), ping pong tournaments, minigolf, the library, card games, etc. Hopefully you aren't cruising alone and you have someone with you that you trust so you can look to them for support. There is alcohol EVERYWHERE, but it is avoidable. Use cash for your sail and sign account and only put a little bit on there or if you are going with someone else, only let them have charging privileges. You have to do whatever is going to work for you, but definitely think it out ahead of time. I probably gave you way more than you asked for, but I am a pastor in a drug and alcohol rehab facility. There are always friends of Bill W meetings and when we are on a cruise, I often stop in just to see if they need any help with the meeting. Some meetings are small, but there always seems to be a great connection between the group members.

I think you have the correct spelling of karaoke! And um, heck no am I singing out loud! Poor people! haha. But I LOVE trivia, minigolf is fun, and so is ping pong.

I have my biggest supporter with me - my husband. We love to travel and this is no different. Just me not drunk. I've put a lot of thought into this vacation. It also helps that we only have one sea day, it's a very port intensive trip.

You did give me more than I asked, and that's wonderful. Thank you.

Thanks for your well wishes. I've been reading reviews and yesterday, I couldn't help but feel a pang of - oh...:( - when I saw the pics of people drinking the "famous rum cocktail!" or "famous pina colada stands!!". My DH says don't think about it. My thoughts are that maybe I can have a fruity concoction minus the booze. Because honestly, when it's dog hot and you are dying of heat, an icy concoction like that is awesome.

You can definitely get alcohol-free versions of all the icy-fruity-tropical-fun type drinks, complete with the frou-frou of fruit on a stick or an umbrella or whatever. Enjoy your vacation, and congratulations on your continuing sobriety.

I'm talking about drinks on the ship. I think you save 2 or 3 dollars per drink by skipping the alcohol. I don't generally hang around in bars in port, so I don't know their practices, but most any bar will be happy to make you an alcohol-free version of most of their drinks.

On the ship, the bar menu specifically offers alcohol-free versions of their popular fruity drinks.

Have a great cruise. Find some new friends. Enjoy your traveling companion. Hang out and relax.

I'm talking about drinks on the ship. I think you save 2 or 3 dollars per drink by skipping the alcohol. I don't generally hang around in bars in port, so I don't know their practices, but most any bar will be happy to make you an alcohol-free version of most of their drinks.

On the ship, the bar menu specifically offers alcohol-free versions of their popular fruity drinks.

Have a great cruise. Find some new friends. Enjoy your traveling companion. Hang out and relax.

Oh cool, that makes me feel so much better!!! Thanks for this information. I cannot wait for this trip. 90 days sober today.

Oh cool, that makes me feel so much better!!! Thanks for this information. I cannot wait for this trip. 90 days sober today.

Congrats on your 90 days and here's to many more. Remember when wanting a virgin drink from the bar to send your hubby for it. So much easier if you don't have to wait while the bartender is pouring/mixing a cocktail for someone else.

My DH is a recovering alcoholic (20 years) and cruises with me all the time (I'm a one drink and a glass of wine with dinner) and we find plenty of things to do on board ship (for him most of them are involving eating) but we've never had a problem with people who have over indulged either.

....You might find the cruise so much more enjoyable w/o the booze...

I agree with this statement. The way that I used to cruise during my younger, crazier years is VERY different than the way that I cruise now that I'm older and a husband & father. It amazes me how much I missed out when I compare my previous cruises (when I thought I was having so much fun partying it up) and my cruises now. While I still enjoy a beer or two during my cruises, my enjoyment is not dictated by how much alcohol I've consumed.

To the OP, yes, you can have an awesome time. In addition to the Friends of Bill W meetings others have mentioned, there are companies dedicated to sober cruising. They organize partial charters on cruises aboard popular cruise lines so you're guaranteed to cruise with a couple hundred other cruises that have embraced a sober lifestyle. Check them out! :)

Edited by Tapi

Unfortunately, I'm not really adding anything of value here, it sounds like you have gotten a lot of great ideas & tips from fellow cruisers already. I really just wanted to say congrats on 90 days & hope that you have a super fun & sober cruise!! Enjoy!!

Bring your own AA literature (books, etc). Although there are Friends of Bill meetings, sometimes they are scheduled at odd hours or nobody shows up.

Congrats on your 90 days! Keep coming back....

Unfortunately, I'm not really adding anything of value here, it sounds like you have gotten a lot of great ideas & tips from fellow cruisers already. I really just wanted to say congrats on 90 days & hope that you have a super fun & sober cruise!! Enjoy!!

Bring your own AA literature (books, etc). Although there are Friends of Bill meetings, sometimes they are scheduled at odd hours or nobody shows up.

Congrats on your 90 days! Keep coming back....

Thanks you two!!!!! My big book on my Kindle is always there for me, as is my ever supporting husband.