Real Life Cruising vs "Board Topic" cruising

sharecruises

I have been on a number of cruises and cruise lines...and I never saw people so obsessed with :

decorating the cabin/balcony

worrying about what other people wear on board, in dining room

chair hogs (I have never had a problem with this since I have no desire

to be at the main pool)

location /deck/etc of cabin...I personally have been in everything from insides to balcony, low, high, front/back etc...never worried about it, liked them all, never got seasick (knock on wood)

worrying about the personal lives of the staff, and/or thinking of what "treats" to give them (Patronizing IMHO)

I have not even found the cruiselines (mainstream) to be all that much different

Yes, I am sure there is a really low end (the 2 night ferry Celebration out of Palm Beach) and there is a high end (Cunard, Seaborne, Crystal?)

but most of the rest seem to be more alike than different

Most people I know go on cruises to have fun, go to neat places, get away.....not to nitpick

I really have NOT met many/any people who obsess about this stuff

in real life....only read about it on the boards :o

Also, what's important to you isn't important to someone else. Like you, I don't care about chair hogging. I'm not a sun type of girl and have zero desire to sit around the pool. On the other hand, there are those who sail from up north who are buried in snow and yearn for sitting around the pool in the hot sun, so chair hogging is more of a concern to them.

My best advice is, if the topic doesn't concern you, don't read it.

For me, as soon as I have a cruise booked, it's all I think about, so coming here to read about trivial things makes me happy.:)

OP, I know what you're saying.

Even when engaging strangers in conversation on our cruises, most people seem to be oblivious to the things that really bother people here on these boards.

The only things I tend to spend a lot of time on are cabin selection (because I have gotten seasick) and excursions.

The rest of the information on these boards is entertainment. People are really fascinating!

I couldn't care less what they are thinking. they didn't pay for my cruise.

The truth of the matter is, you will probably find no one on your actual cruise that will spout off anywhere near like they do here.

Its like the guy at work that tells everyone in the break room that he is gonna knock the boss on his butt one day , and that he could run the place better. And when the boss is around he is smooching his butt and "Yes SIRing" him all over the place.

Or that guy that touts HE is the boss in his house , and in reality she slaps the newspaper on her thigh, and he goes on the paper.

Relax, have fun , and enjoy your cruise

by "real life" I mean people I cruise with and/or meet on cruises

I do know some people get seasick and they are more concerned about where their cabin is than I am, I do understand that

I have even been on some cruises where there was a large group on board ...."Donnie and Marie" cruise...but unlike some people who complain about it , I actually liked it....they had early seating and took up 3/4 of the ship, leaving a lot more room for the rest of us at "our' show and dinner time LOL

A lot of the stuff that people obsess about on here really doesn't seem to matter once on board from what I have seen

I don't mind if people come on here and ask a question about a topic. What bothers me is the people that don't agree with someone's answer and then blasts them for not thinking like they do. Let's face it, everybody's opinion is just that. We personally didn't like the Dream. Thousands of people have cruised on her that do. Does that make us wrong...no. Do we think the thousands that like her are wrong...no. Different strokes for different folks.

I read a lot of the post for entertainment, but read the post about "my ship" for information. My thoughts is if you go in with a good attitude the cruise will be good. Those looking for something to complain about will find something.

On these boards the post that make me go "what" are the ones that say, "will I be happy with XYZ" Only you can tell if you will be happy, you choose to be happy or not.

I have been on a number of cruises and cruise lines...and I never saw people so obsessed with :

to be at the main pool)

location /deck/etc of cabin...I personally have been in everything from insides to balcony, low, high, front/back etc...never worried about it, liked them all, never got seasick (knock on wood)

worrying about the personal lives of the staff, and/or thinking of what "treats" to give them (Patronizing IMHO)

I have not even found the cruiselines (mainstream) to be all that much different

Yes, I am sure there is a really low end (the 2 night ferry Celebration out of Palm Beach) and there is a high end (Cunard, Seaborne, Crystal?)

Most people I know go on cruises to have fun, go to neat places, get away.....not to nitpick

Careful now, ;) with over 3,000 posts, everyone can easily read your own comments on these "obsessive" topics. Seems as though you had many opinions yourself, especially the most recent controversial decorations :eek:

yes, but how do you know what they are thinking? :confused:

Whay do you care what other people think. As long as you aren't causing them harm or actively disturbing them.

Who cares what they think about what you are wearing, or how much you spend on drinks, or how much you tip or don't tip.

I tend to be more concerned and focused on the "what ifs" of my cruise or cruising in general here on the boards then when I am actually on the ship.

So by coming here before cruising I can find out information that "I" may find important to me and my cruise. Then, with this knowledge already gotten and filed away, I can enjoy my cruise. Granted some of the information I gain from the boards may or may not hold true for my sailing or even my own individual situation, at least I can not say I did not have the resource or chance to find out information that could have been useful.

Do some get carried away, sure, but that is ok, it is for them to vent or share. Do I have to listen to everyone, no, of course not.

Just my 2 cents.

Careful now, ;) with over 3,000 posts, everyone can easily read your own comments on these "obsessive" topics. Seems as though you had many opinions yourself, especially the most recent controversial decorations :eek:

Not that it makes it wrong for them to start a thread on whatever they want, BUT I was thinking the very same thing.

Not that it makes it wrong for them to start a thread on whatever they want, BUT I was thinking the very same thing.

thinking what???

my "view" of most of these "topics" is what the ???:eek:

I don't understand people who obsess so much about these things, that is why I started this thread

My point is...I have not met people on actual cruises who are having a blast putting up room decorations or handing out John Deere keytags to the workers

that stuff only seems to be "important" on here

some people do (try) to use the boards for :practical: info

My point is ...a LOT of the stuff you read about on here never even gets mentioned by anyone when actually on a cruise...at least I never heard it mentioned

I never had chair hog problems or care that much about what people wear

Sometimes I have seen "characters" who are dressed pretty funny but it has to be really over the top before I even notice

JMO of course

I always like when we get to know someone on the cruise and think they are having a good time, and they come back and write a very negative review.

I agree with your statement golfadj and I think you've hit the nail on the head so to speak with the OP. We all read into posts and statements or comments differently, but I am pretty sure this type of situation is what the OP was talking about.

Edit: I meant to add this type of situation is ONE of the things the OP was talking about. Not the only thing.

to be at the main pool)

Very accurate and amusing! I agree whats even more funny is how loyal/defensive people get about "their" cruiseline. E.g. The rci vs ccl or etc and its like a bunch of people saying applebees is better than olive garden lol

Mass market turnstile operation is more same than different

thinking what???

my "view" of most of these "topics" is what the ???:eek:

I don't understand people who obsess so much about these things, that is why I started this thread

My point is...I have not met people on actual cruises who are having a blast putting up room decorations or handing out John Deere keytags to the workers

that stuff only seems to be "important" on here

Try to relax before you pop something!:p

I didn't say there was anything wrong with your thread.

I think the folks here are just such a SMALL percentage of actual cruisers, and that is why you don't see many examples of our topics "in real life". The "real life" cruisers probably aren't nearly as obsessed/consumed with cruising as most of us here. I also think there are a lot of us that have way too much time on our hands, lol

Try to relax before you pop something!:p

I didn't say there was anything wrong with your thread.

I think the folks here are just such a SMALL percentage of actual cruisers, and that is why you don't see many examples of our topics "in real life". The "real life" cruisers probably aren't nearly as obsessed/consumed with cruising as most of us here. I also think there are a lot of us that have way too much time on our hands, lol

THanks....that is what I am trying to say...most of the times on a ship, in "real life" people would not even know what the word "chair hog" means

or even think about giving logo items to room stewards etc LOL

Have taken many cruises and have met very few people who have heard of Cruise Critic and even fewer who follow the posts. The most people we have had on any of my cruise roll calls have been 100 and yet there are around 3000 passengers depending on boat size... My point is

it does little good to complain because very few people know or care that they are being annoying. Guess everyone needs to vent. I enjoy reading them all. Interesting points of view

I always like when we get to know someone on the cruise and think they are having a good time, and they come back and write a very negative review.

And the negative post always gets all the action.

Trock and I were on the same cruise, and her review got all the attention and fun. And then disappeared.

to be at the main pool)

Your observations are completely correct until you get to the luxury lines, and they are truly different than the others, and the difference is huge. For the most part the people that cruise them don't worry about any of the same type things you read on the mass market boards, except that the people on Seabourn are obsessed with the way people dress, even more so than here on the Carnival boards.

In my experience with this site, I have had a lot of positive feedback and helpful answers to my questions. There are a lot of people here with good information and willing to answer your questions if they can. Then there are the others........... If someone wants to start a post about trinkets, tips, dining etc. that's their business. Now if only people would respond with helpful comments and not try to turn it into their own personal blog, that would be great but highly unlikely. Not saying every comment should be positive because if you had a bad experience, by all means share. Just don't judge or criticize someone for their opinion, have a wonderful day all :)

Archived