Give me lay of Athens for a unique group

scarlett81

We port in Piraeus with Crystal Grand Med in May. We know for sure we want to do the Acropilus and ruins. And then have time to walk around a quaint/nice area for food and shops.

I'm thinking of doing a private tour here, or at least a private car for the day.

We have me and DH, my mom, my dad who has knee problems and needs breaks from time to time, plus the 2 kids. I don't think we want to deal with big groups-and I doubt big groups want to deal with us! lol

How long is the drive from Piraeus to Athens? I'm thinking my little guy will need to be in his car seat, but the thing is, I'll need a place to store it while we're out touring..so hence a private car might be needed.

Also, strollers-I'm thinking a stroller might not be an option in the ruins, right? But after we're done with that area, we'll probably want it for walking around town and dinner. So again, if I could stow it in the car that would be great.

Any tips would be great, and thanks alot.

For strolling / shopping the Plaka is a must.

I'd also consider the National Archaeological Museum for history as well as Acropolis.

For a 3 generation I'd do private, we did that a few years ago and was great as Paul/Dimitri dropped us about as close as you could to each attraction which made the best of the walking for my parents and inlaws. Kids enjoyed it as well as it was dreadfully hot :D

This is a good first stop read: http://www.europeportreviews.com/Athens.htm

We port in Piraeus with Crystal Grand Med in May. We know for sure we want to do the Acropilus and ruins. And then have time to walk around a quaint/nice area for food and shops.

I'm thinking of doing a private tour here, or at least a private car for the day.

We have me and DH, my mom, my dad who has knee problems and needs breaks from time to time, plus the 2 kids. I don't think we want to deal with big groups-and I doubt big groups want to deal with us! lol

How long is the drive from Piraeus to Athens? I'm thinking my little guy will need to be in his car seat, but the thing is, I'll need a place to store it while we're out touring..so hence a private car might be needed.

Also, strollers-I'm thinking a stroller might not be an option in the ruins, right? But after we're done with that area, we'll probably want it for walking around town and dinner. So again, if I could stow it in the car that would be great.

Buy Rick Steves Athens book and do it all on your own. You simply need transport from Piraeus to Athens and back. Athens is so easy on your own that it is a shame to spend money on a guide or a tour. All the sites are in close proximity, and you are going to walk to all of them once you get to the Acropolis anyway.

Thanks-

zqvol, I also feel we could do the whole thing on our own. We're pretty travel/street wise, its just the stroller and car seat issue here.

If we have a private car, we can keep these things in it while we're at say, the Acropolis where (I've heard....) a stroller may not be possible. If its not possible, where will I keep the stroller? This is the issue.

We'll need a stroller to spend the whole day in Athens.

However, if we 'could' bring the stroller in, even if we have to carry it over some steps and rocks a few times, then that would solve the problem, and we'll do the whole town on our own.

Make sense?

Thanks-

zqvol, I also feel we could do the whole thing on our own. We're pretty travel/street wise, its just the stroller and car seat issue here.

If we have a private car, we can keep these things in it while we're at say, the Acropolis where (I've heard....) a stroller may not be possible. If its not possible, where will I keep the stroller? This is the issue.

We'll need a stroller to spend the whole day in Athens.

However, if we 'could' bring the stroller in, even if we have to carry it over some steps and rocks a few times, then that would solve the problem, and we'll do the whole town on our own.

Make sense?

Car seats are going to be problematic, I don't even recall seat belts in the cabs in Athens.

As far as a stroller, I would suggest getting one of those umbrella strollers, that way you can easily carry it around the Acropolis. If you try to take a big stroller you are going to have real problems, of course some of those big strollers with balloon tires etc, might make it over the terrain at the Acropolis.

Car seats are going to be problematic, I don't even recall seat belts in the cabs in Athens.

As far as a stroller, I would suggest getting one of those umbrella strollers, that way you can easily carry it around the Acropolis. If you try to take a big stroller you are going to have real problems, of course some of those big strollers with balloon tires etc, might make it over the terrain at the Acropolis.

I saw a social worker on the train...transporting a 2 year old...and she had him secured in the child seat on the train and then viola...the kid stayed in the seat...she pulled out a few things from the side of the seat and it turned into a stroller we she got up to exit the train!!!

It was very cool...compact..looked very safe...and I will bet very very expensive.

Private tours are fairly expensive in Athens and with the Metro most people would not need to go on a tour.

Taking the Metro would involve a fair amount of walking, however going up to the top of the Acropolis could be an effort for your Dad, even if on a tour. My Daughter had a stroller for my Grandson and managed the Metro and the Acropolis. You wouldn't need the car seat unless you took a tour.

Thank you-I appreciate your reply.

Its good to know that a light stroller may be a possibility, though it may have to be carried alot. Oh well...we already know this going in.

I think we're going to do a private tour, to maximize our time there, and to be able to have plenty of time for the kids or my dad to take a short break if we need one. I'm going to ask for the car that picks us up to include a car seat, thus eliminating the problem of where to put the car seat while we are sightseeing.

My TA with Crystal suggested this, and for some reason I didn't think of it but it should work great.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived