Big Formal Decision in Our House.......

sail7seas

No more tuxedo schlepping.

After about 70+ HAL cruises, DH always packing his tuxedo for all those cruises, we are leaving it home for our upcoming Maasdam cruise.

The percentages of those dressed in tuxedo have dropped significantly enough, in our opinion, for DH to 'ditch the tux'. Those days are over for us.

We are now deciding if he will bring a dark suit or just a blazer and ties/dress pants. If we bring a suit, he would still want a sport jacket and we don't want to bring two so it is likely he is making the 'dive' from tuxedo to blazer/sport jacket. :eek:

I hope we don't regret it when we get to the ship.

We have to lighten the load. I'm tired of packing and dragging so much with us. It's too much work and not worth it to us at this point. It's okay if I wear the same pair of slacks more than one night. DH can actually wear the same trousers a few times and HAL does a great job with dry cleaning.

We've joined the 'now generation', I guess. :D

I hope you don't think I'm being stupid...but you can always rent if you like. We are going on a TA in a few days...and I didn't want to pack the extra weight, so I am renting. I am bringing my own shoes and 1 shirt. When compared to an extra bag charge both ways, and not having to deal with an extra suitcase...we think it's worth it.

Sail --- I joined the 'now' generation as well. On this January's Noordam cruise I brought a dark suit and a sports jacket, and I didn't feel out of place!

My biggest concern now, is finding a jacket that will fit properly for the duration of the cruise.

I hope you don't think I'm being stupid...but you can always rent if you like. We are going on a TA in a few days...and I didn't want to pack the extra weight, so I am renting. I am bringing my own shoes and 1 shirt. When compared to an extra bag charge both ways, and not having to deal with an extra suitcase...we think it's worth it.

You most assuredly are not stupid. Rental of formal clothing is a fine service the cruise lines offer. However, it doesn't work for everyone.

DH is a professional who wears suits to work everyday.

He is not apt to rent clothing. Absolutely nothing wrong with it but that is just not his personal style. He's also a bit of a 'clean' fellow who would not want to wear shoes that have been rented to many others. That is only 'MY" personal peculularity.

He bought another new tuxedo last year as his others had plenty of use. We might choose to bring his shoes/tux/shirts/etc on a future cruise but I really think we're done with that 'scene'.

Sail --- I joined the 'now' generation as well. On this January's Noordam cruise I brought a dark suit and a sports jacket' date=' and I didn't feel out of place!

My biggest concern now, is finding a jacket that will fit properly for the duration of the cruise.[/quote']

Yea...... I'm so happy to hear there are others who agree.

DH said one jacket and nothing else but I suspect I'll slip a dark suit into the suitcase.

She who does all the packing gets a certain 'leeway' and can claim 'dumb mistake' when we unpack and he finds both a suit and a jacket. Oh gee..... I didn't realize I had already packed a jacket. :o

Think he'll believe it? :D

He says he'll be just fine in sports jacket/blazer and tie but I really wonder if he'll be sorry. What do you think.

Bring the suit, too?

That's exactly what we did for our recent Eurodam cruise. DH had lost a lot of weight, so the tux hung like a flour sack - but we knew it was time for a change anyway. He does like a sports coat for suite parties, etc - and didn't feel like that was quite enough for an MDR Formal Night, so brought both a suit and the sports coat. It's pretty much the same for packing, except that he doesn't need all those tux accessories. As for me, I've started packing just 2 or 3 very nice dresses - and if I need to wear one more than once, no one notices. Without the tux and without more dresses for myself, we no longer need to pack a garmet bag, which makes for one less piece of luggage to haul around.

That's exactly what we did for our recent Eurodam cruise. DH had lost a lot of weight, so the tux hung like a flour sack - but we knew it was time for a change anyway. He does like a sports coat for suite parties, etc - and didn't feel like that was quite enough for an MDR Formal Night, so brought both a suit and the sports coat. It's pretty much the same for packing, except that he doesn't need all those tux accessories. As for me, I've started packing just 2 or 3 very nice dresses - and if I need to wear one more than once, no one notices. Without the tux and without more dresses for myself, we no longer need to pack a garmet bag, which makes for one less piece of luggage to haul around.

Thanks for this post. Makes me feel better.

It will also make me feel better to not have to drag his tuxedo shoes which leave a bit of extra space and weight. He can wear the same shoes with his suit and blazer/trousers. I'll bring a neutral he can wear with both.

Only you can decide what to bring/wear.

I can tell you this. Once we started to 'downsize' our vacation travel packing, we just kept on doing it. We found we enjoyed travel more with less luggage to lug about and keep tabs on. It got to the point where we thinking about what we could leave at home vs. what we should be taking. We are still working on it. At first DW thought the new carry on restrictions were not good. Now, post restrictions, our one carry on weighs half what it used to and we do no miss a thing.

We pack everything, including our formal clothes (women), in one carry-on bag each. Freedom in traveling and everything is with you, all the time. won't do it any other way. would you believe we each had a few items we never wore this past week, on our return, even with packing so little?

We do roll our clothes and only take two extra pairs of shoes each and wear a third, usually the walking shoes/sneakers.

DH has never taken a tux and went to sportcoat and ties over a dark suit a few years ago for the flexibility. And we have no regrets. He too dresses for work and likes to relax more on vacation. I wish I could say we get all we need in a carry-on but it will never happen. And we too only take two pairs of shoes plus the sneakers we wear. Not too classy for flying but I have a friend who remarks that people fly today like they are dressed to clean the garage. Hope I'm not that casual.

I believe you have a better time when you are comfortable. So if a tux is your comfort level then that is where you should be. If a sport coat will do it, I say go for it.

We have recently returned from Incan Empires, a 30 day cruise on Rotterdam we too had a cruise minus the tux. DH does not like wearing one, he really needs a new one if he goes on wearing one and we do not have that sort of lifestyle, but mainly each cruise we go on numbers have dropped. This last cruise, which indeed we did worry a bit about as we thought it might just be more dressy was not. I guess on captain's toast night probably about 25% but they did not have another captains toast after changeover day and on the other formals only a tiny handful of men wore them. Most men wore lounge suits or blazers. We personally are a little uneasy about sports jackets on captain's toast night and as DH does not wish to pack two things he takes a lounge suit which he is happy about but would really prefer his sports jacket.

We too are getting fed up with trekking round with a lot of luggage, we are on holiday for goodness sake. However, I have to admit that it struck me this time, that when we started cruising in 1991 extras were just a camera and a handful of films and nothing else. I counted up on this trip - two cameras (after a dreadful trip when camera broke down on day 2) a small laptop, a kindle and a mobile phone. All need charging and the number of wires and battery chargers are unbelievable. Wonder we don't get stopped at security. I suppose everyone else is the same. I would not be without them though.

going TA one way on HAL and back on Cunard (for the first time) so will need the Tux. As someone pointed out a Tux really takes up the same weight as a black suit. And as we're flying in Europe with Easyjet, we'll really have to practice weight control.

Ev

going TA one way on HAL and back on Cunard (for the first time) so will need the Tux. As someone pointed out a Tux really takes up the same weight as a black suit. And as we're flying in Europe with Easyjet, we'll really have to practice weight control.

Ev

The tuxedo takes the same room as a suit but he needs two tuxedo shirts, cummerbuns, ties, and the extra shoes are the biggest thing. He only wears his black tuxedo shoes with his tux which means he needs his other dress shoes for trousers/suit.

It also means differences in what I wear if he does not wear tux and that means fewer shoes and handbags. I can make do with black silk strappy sandals and small evening purse if I'm not dressing formal three nights.

In the past, it was two or three shoes/handbags to match each dress.

We've also joined the new generation although a few years earlier than most. It does make a large difference in packing and lugging around the extras! He's trying very hard to convince me not to pack any socks. He says if he doesn't wear them at home, why wear them anywhere??? But he still will bring a couple of nice "ropes" to wear around his neck.

She who does all the packing gets a certain 'leeway' and can claim 'dumb mistake' when we unpack and he finds both a suit and a jacket. Oh gee..... I didn't realize I had already packed a jacket. :o

Think he'll believe it? :D

Don't you have an "evil twin" you can blame it on??:D:D

Sail, I plan to take a black suit - no tux. What I am going to do is take the pleated shirt (you know the one with the funny collar), the bow tie and cumberbund. I am going to get a festive formal looking vest (comes with a long tie) and another white shirt.... that gives me 3 nights of formal... other evenings, I will pack the sport jacket and a couple-three pair of golf slacks... dress shoes to finish them off.....

SO ... suit, sport jacket, 3 slacks, 4 shirts (including the funny one) one pair shoes... AND I have 10-11 evenings.

Only 8 more work days until we leave. . .

Judy, I think you'll find that your DH would be fine with just a sport jacket and dress pants. But even bringing that and a suit will lighten the load for both of you.

When we started cruising, DH bought a very nice dark navy suit for cruises. He'd "outgrown" his others so was due for a new one. This year for the 1st time, he left it at home and brought his navy blazer and dress slacks instead. It worked perfectly...he wore the blazer on the flights to and from.

My goal on our next cruise is to get down to one piece of luggage each. I'm so done with schlepping two suitcases and two carry-ons.

DH has made great strides with what he packs...now it's my turn to downsize!

The great debate in 'our house' has been settled....... :D

DH just called and I told him how helpful everyone here has been with their comments and seems many agree the tux for many of us is done and over.

I don't have to blame the evil twin I was debating 'creating' as DH said FINE.....

Dark suit and blazer it is. Two pair of dress trousers, three shirts, three or four polos, dockers blah blah blah and he will be a happy camper. The shirts, polos and trousers will go out for dry cleaning/laundering.

Now I have to cut back what I am bringing as well.

I agree, Sheila,,,,,,,,,,,,, we are so DONE with calling Allied Van Lines to transport our luggage for a two week vacation.

I understand completely Judy and agree with you. DH went to a sports jacket, slacks, tie and dress shirt many years ago. It is just simpler all around.

As others have said, one wants to dress to the occasion but one is, after all, on vacation.

Forgive me but I had to laugh at your "cut down" list.

We do take the tux (don't need "tux shoes" etc, don't need dress shoes or handbag (for what, your room card?)) and formal duds and manage with one rolling garment bag each.

To each his own, but knowing that we are usually taking public transportation (in Europe) and long ago decided on the "if you pack it , you lug it" rule we have become pretty good packers.

Archived