Hotel Suggestions - Cape Liberty

Wineart

Flying into Newark Airport for a Bermuda cruise. Ironically enough, I used to live in NJ, but have no idea where to stay one night precruise! We will not be doing any sightseeing, and will not have a car, so would appreciate any suggestions on where to stay that would be easy to get to from the airport by either cab or shuttle, and then easy to get to the port.

What is your budget? What is your exact date?

Typically folks without cars enjoy the hotels clustered on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth - Country Inns, Elizabeth Courtyard, and Residence Inn. The Courtyard has a restaurant and there is a Ruby Tuesdays and an IHOP. The Jersey Gardens Mall next door has a food court including Johnny Rockets.

Date would be June 2, 2012, and we wouldn't be checking in until evening. We're lucky in that we don't have to stick within a tight budget, but since it's only for 1 night, neither do I want to go too high end! It would be great to have access to a nice dinner, as opposed to fast food.

I'm thinking a nice dinner at Newark Airport is an oxymoron. Many hotels don't even have a restaurant - just take out. The airport Marriott (3.5*) isn't too expensive that night - they might have more dining options for you. You can always take a cab to the Ironbound district of Newark for a Spanish/Portuguese meal in one of the many restaurants. If you stay in downtown Newark at the Newark Penn Station Hilton (4*) (also reasonable for your date), you would be just a quick cab ride a few blocks to these restaurants.

"NICE" and "DINNER" should not be used in the same sentence as

"NEWARK AIRPORT"

that said, there are a couple full service, smaller versions of restaurants PRE security...

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-shops-restaurants-services.html

they nicely list PRE and POST for you....they really are trying to make it less yucky and ugly...they've been redoing the concourses/ticketing/screening areas...

and you could hop your hotel shuttle back to the airport and pick a terminal, or ride the monorail and see what appeals...

Of course if you stay at one of the places on Glimcher Realty Way you'll be near iHop, Ruby Tuesday and http://www.jerseygardens.com

There's an Outback in Secaucus. There's an IHOP next to Ruby Tuesdays and a Johnny Rockets in the mall. When I stayed over at the airport, I went with a group into downtown Newark to the Ironbound District for dinner.

We will be staying at Glimcher way and will have a car. Unfortunately for me Ruby Tuesday is my least favorite of the chain restaurants. Is there any thing close that is not too hard to find? Like: Outback, Olive Garden, Applebees?

You'll have a car? Hmmm..

if you're willing to drive, eh...5-10 miles down route 1, there is an applebees and something else in Linden...it's a fairly straight shot down route 1..there's also a target and a grocery store....and some other chain place but i forget what...

(the road isn't bad...sorta bumpy and you want to pay attention, but if you just follow signs for Routes 1 & 9 SOUTH you will be OK.......that's IF you want to venture out..._

Thanks for the suggestions. Ended up booking the Renaissance at Newark Airport since it has an on-site restaurant. Since we're not arriving until evening, preferred having quick access to dinner rather than taking a cab someplace!

Thanks for the suggestions. Ended up booking the Renaissance at Newark Airport since it has an on-site restaurant. Since we're not arriving until evening, preferred having quick access to dinner rather than taking a cab someplace!

good choice...i like it there....the restaurant is pretty good...

here is a link to some photos

http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/cruisermeg/Hotels%20for%20Cape%20Liberty%20EWR%20etc/Renaissance%20EWR/

You'll have a car? Hmmm..

if you're willing to drive, eh...5-10 miles down route 1, there is an applebees and something else in Linden...it's a fairly straight shot down route 1..there's also a target and a grocery store....and some other chain place but i forget what...

(the road isn't bad...sorta bumpy and you want to pay attention, but if you just follow signs for Routes 1 & 9 SOUTH you will be OK.......that's IF you want to venture out..._

Thanks, Meg, that does sound good. Now I have options and that makes me happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a rough 'guestimate' on what the hotels in the Elizabeth area charge for a shuttle to Bayonne? Or what I should budget for a cab if there's no shuttle service? Right now flights are about $125 cheaper (per pax) if I fly in the day before, but if I blow all the savings on hotel/cabs it may not be worth it.

There's just the two of us and we won't be sightseeing or dining out, just the whole 'sleeping on a bed and getting a ride to the ship without fearing for our safety' deal would be great.

Thanks for your help!!

Almost no hotels offer a shuttle - Country Inns is the only hotel we recommend at Newark Airport that does this. Your have to arrange your own car service transportation which can run $40-60 to the port. Coming back you can get a shuttle to the airport for $17/pp. Hooking up with other cruisers on your roll call is a way to reduce transportation costs.

Check out the Hampton Inn on Staten Island. They have an airport shuttle and also offer a "free" shuttle to the port. They offer free breakfast, but dinner would have to be next door at Hilton Gardens.

What hotel are you looking at and why?

I see you're going on the "Jersey Shore" cruise.

Thanks for the tip!

I haven't really been looking at one hotel over another. Usually I fly in a few days early, rent a car and go exploring but as this is a low-budget cruise (sneaking an extra one in this year!), I'm trying to cut costs where I can. Someone had recommended the Elizabeth area which is why I had mentioned it before, but my mind isn't set on it.

The Hampton Inn Staten Island looks like a great place and the price is excellent if they offer the shuttle service (although I noticed 'free' was in quotes, I assume that's because of tips?). I'll most likely go that route.

In the mean time, guess I should check out the roll call for my sailing!

Thanks again for the help!!

Oh no, I just found out what you meant about the Jersey Shore cruise. I was thinking "I already know it departs from New Jersey, silly".

Ugh... unfortunately for me its that week or never. Hopefully it won't be too bad, I'm not a big night club/pool deck person myself so maybe I won't even notice. Thanks for the heads-up, though!

I have been, we got a crazy low price on an inside for the 16th. There's a savings certificate for the 9th, but the price we got for the 16th is even less. I'd love to take the one going on the 23rd (same price I was able to book PLUS the C&A savings!), but classes start back up on the 24th and I don't think I could manage missing the first week of school.

My eyes remain glued to the screen, though. :)

we just did the park and cruise thing at Country Inns and Suites. we booked thru stay123.com and everything went well. we dined at Ruby Tuesdays which is a short stroll from the hotel (like 50 yards) It was OK.

The shuttle was $35 pp for the round trip and was handled brilliantly in both directions. we were back at the hotel at 09:15 after disembarking the ship

we just did the park and cruise thing at Country Inns and Suites. we booked thru stay123.com and everything went well. we dined at Ruby Tuesdays which is a short stroll from the hotel (like 50 yards) It was OK.

The shuttle was $35 pp for the round trip and was handled brilliantly in both directions. we were back at the hotel at 09:15 after disembarking the ship

great info!! thanks for coming back and reporting on your experience...

I do not know how far Weehauken is from the Bayonne port but.... there is a very nice Sheraton on the water overlooking Manhattan and a wonderful Chart House next door. One of my favorite places for a weekend out of town...

Archived