What to do in Anchorage without a car?

cathysmom

My group of 12 will have some time to kill before our 11:25pm flight. We'll probably be taking the cruise line's train from Seward to Anchorage and arrive around noon. I doubt we can "check luggage" or get past the security area to sit around and wait for 11 hrs so we need a couple of different options. There's always a car rental but they're pricey and we would need a couple of them. We also have a couple of older folks so they may not want to venture anywhere.

Is there public transportation to/fr the airport?

If there's a place close by or on a public transportation route please share.

Thanks!

http://www.ifly.com/ted-stevens-anchorage-international-airport/terminal-services-and-help

Baggage and Freezer Storage Service

(a) South Terminal - Open 5:00 AM - 2:00 AM

Baggage and freezer storage is available at the Airport in the South (Domestic) Terminal on the Lower Level next to Visitor Information. Services are provided in the North (International) Terminal seasonally. Use the free airport shuttle that operates every 15 minutes between terminals. Charges are $5 to $7 per bag, per day depending on size. Fish boxes, etc. are charged $12 to $15 per box, per day depending on size. There is no time limit as to length items may be stored. Passenger must have airline ticket in order to use this service. Address: Huntleigh USA, 3801 W. 43rd Avenue, Anchorage, Alaska 99517. Tel: (907) 248-0373

(b) North Terminal - Open seasonally (until September 20, 2008)

Baggage storage is available at the Airport in the North (International) Terminal across from Continental Airlines ticket counter. Hours of operation are Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday from 10am to 10pm and every other Wednesday (starting June 11, 2008) from 10am to 10pm. Rates are $5.00 to $7.00 depending on size of bag, per day. No cold storage is available in the North Terminal. Passenger must have airline ticket in order to use this service. Address: Bags, Inc.; tel.: (907) 248-0373

Transportation from downtown to the airport is $25-30 per car. You will need at least two. If the train is dropping you off downtown a better option would be to see if someone can provide luggage storage in the downtown area. The other option is to cab to the airport, store your bags, cab back downtown, then back to the airport for your departure. Not very appealing. There’s very little to do at the airport, although there is a nice Native Arts display. Unless the train is dropping you off at the airport…

Here are some photos of the airport including the baggage storage area.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107326259154545546042/albums/5609347632123655825?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/107326259154545546042/albums/5609347632123655825

Check out Anchorage.net as suggested. There is a nice museum downtown and the Alaska Native Heritage Center has a free shuttle from downtown.

Only a suggestion, but with limited time, the overall "cost" which is claimed to be expensive, is small in terms of what you can get with a car rental. I also, would not choose for the entire group, unless they are kids. An example- With a one way Hertz rental, people could take advantage of Seward, even do a Kenai Fjords boat tour, if of interest. I consider this a top tour choice and an excellent option for varied wildlife, which a lot of people go to Alaska for.

At least $100 pp is being spent on the cruise contracted train. That is a lot of available cash to work with perhaps.

Depends how someone wants to use this valuable- short time.

Same with a car rental from Anchorage- would offer you all kinds of places to go, as well as having your luggage with you, and going to the airport timely- not sitting there for hours.

Final comment- the Anchorage airport is a museum. I am always enjoying my looks there.

The group will most likely do the train provided by the Cruise line and I think we get dropped off at the airport.

I re-looked at a couple of different car rental options at the airport and they werent as bad as I had seen before. I'm not sure where I was that listed $200+ amount but it looks like you can rent a standard size car for under a $100. I'm not entirely sure if the group will be traveling in a pack or want to do different things. Just gathering information as to what options everyone will have when they arrive. Can you imagine just showing up at the airport with 11hrs before your flight leaves and havent a clue as what to do!

Thanks again for the feedback....keep them coming!!

The group will most likely do the train provided by the Cruise line and I think we get dropped off at the airport.

I re-looked at a couple of different car rental options at the airport and they werent as bad as I had seen before. I'm not sure where I was that listed $200+ amount but it looks like you can rent a standard size car for under a $100. I'm not entirely sure if the group will be traveling in a pack or want to do different things. Just gathering information as to what options everyone will have when they arrive. Can you imagine just showing up at the airport with 11hrs before your flight leaves and havent a clue as what to do!

Thanks again for the feedback....keep them coming!!

Hi Cathy, we're renting a car in Anchorage at the airport. It's $96 for a mid-size. We may be having another couple with us to share the expenses. They have yet to decide what they want to do there. This is at the end of our trip instead of the beginning so at hotel check out that morning we'll shuttle(hotel) to the airport to pick up the car for the day. Our flight isn't until that night (actually Sunday morning) at 12:30am. We tried to figure out what to do in Anchorage for twelve hours and the car seemed to be the most price effective option and still be able to do what we wanted.

If you rent cars at the airport you could spend a very enjoyable day by backtracking to the Girdwood area. It's less than 1 hr from the airport and there is lots of things to do for any age group ... Conservation Center for injured or orphaned wildlife, Beggich Boggs Visitor Center at Portage Lake and Glacier, at Potters Marsh look at swans and other birds and perhaps see moose at the end of the boardwalk, gold panning, hiking, Alyeska tram if you have a clear day.

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

There are also salmon viewing platforms at Williwaw if you're visiting during a run. And a great hike ...Trail of Blue Ice. Or the Ice Worm Safari.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach_pages/bbvc/bbvc.htm

Archived