Barcelona lodging

rteichman

I just booked the RSVP Med cruise and am looking for a place to stay the night after the cruise. Based on comments and recommendations I went directly to the Axel hotel site. It look great, expensive, but great. While searching around I found a website GAYHOMESTAYS.COM they had a list of "rooms for rent". Basically looks like gays in Barcelona renting out an extra room or two in their apartment. While the cost is obviously appealing (like 1/5th the cost of Axel), it seems like a more interesting way to stay than in a hotel. Has anyone done this? What was the experience like?

I'm not familiar with that particular site, but when I was going to Barcelona a couple of years ago, a friend recommended friends, a gay couple, who run a B & B in Barcelona. For me it's always a choice between something I know, like a chain hotel, and something which could be either wonderful or a disaster. In this case, since I actually know someone who runs the place I took a chance.

It's not a "gay" guest house, per se, but BarcelonaBB is a real find. Kiku and John are excellent hosts and a eager to help out in whatever way they can. And the price and location are excellent.

Thanks, I agree Axel is way over priced, but I keep being told by friends that I "have to stay there".... The Gay Home Stay sounded real interesting. My partner and I love staying at B&Bs especially gay owned ones. I'll look into the BarcelonaBB place. Thanks.

Stayed at the Axel post-RSVP cruise last summer. Be prepared for a throng of your fellow passengers to be descending on the lobby at the same time. We waited more than 4 HOURS before being able to get into our room. The room was nice and the location is great, but I'd check out other alternatives through online websites if I were you. Google Room Mate Hotels and check out their BCN offering. Stayed at their Madrid hotel last summer pre-RSVP cruise and it was great. Not as expensive as Axel, but similar in many ways.

However, the rooftop bar at Axel is wonderful at night. But, you don't have to be a guest to enjoy it. (You can charge your drinks to your room, though.)

BCN is such a wonderful city. If you haven't been there before, one day won't do it justice for you. Just sayin'.

Enjoy.

I actually have been there before the last time I took the Atlantis Med cruise. That time I booked everything really late and I could not get into Axel and I ended up in a place close to the airport. That sucked as I ended up spending a fortune in cab fares. Based on the response of crowds after the cruise at Axel I definitely WON'T go there. I hate that. I 'll look into all of the hotels and B&B mentioned but I am strongly leaning toward the gay home stay since it seems like a real adventure. Besides we won't be in the room much. As soon as we dock and drop of our stuff we will be out touring then take a disco nap so we can be away when Barcelona awakes at 11pm :-) The next morning we need to be at the airport by 6 anyway.....

Sorry to sidetrack the thread (I'm interested in BCN, too), but wondering if anyone has recommendations for Sitges? My partner and I are also on the RSVP Med cruise, but are planning to head to Sitges the 6th-8th after we disembark - it's their Pride weekend, then back to BCN for a couple of nights before coming home on the 11th. Thanks for any advice you can share.

Stayed at the Axel twice. It is OK for what it is if you can book it early and get the prepayment discount. I've looked at it again for this year RSVP cruise as well - but it was just way overprices. Ended up booking the Hilton (which is currently under renovation), with a prepaid rate which was very very reasonable. It is not in the center of the action, but close enough.

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz for our pre-cruise weekend in Barcelona about a year ago (UPDATE: OMG That was TWO years ago! Yikes!) . It was very reasonably priced, near the northern end of La Rambla and right next to an underground/metro stop.

As for room renting, we haven't done that yet, though we just booked a flat in London for our post-cruise stay using airbnb.com. So far it's been great working through that website and once we selected the place, we've been in direct contact with the owner of the flat.

Thanks for the responses. I tried to book a room using the gay stay site, but the room was not available. I then realized I would need more hotel services since we will want to drop our luggage as soon as we get off the cruise and then tour the city. Hence I took the recommendation given here and booked a room at Jazz. It looked nice, convenient and had great reviews.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread (I'm interested in BCN, too), but wondering if anyone has recommendations for Sitges? My partner and I are also on the RSVP Med cruise, but are planning to head to Sitges the 6th-8th after we disembark - it's their Pride weekend, then back to BCN for a couple of nights before coming home on the 11th. Thanks for any advice you can share.

Many years ago we stayed at the Hotel Calipolis; not gay but it was gay friendly and right across from the gay beach (who knows if it is still that!)

I've stayed at axel hotel, it was ok but only if you get a special offer rate! If not I'd recommend Cram, just a few steps away from axel. As for sitges, i CAN recommend Platjador. It's not a gay hotel but at least 50% of the guests are gay. It's directly. Ear the beach, breakfast is excellent and so is the pool. Best is its location!

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Hotel Central, at the other end of Las Ramblas. Amazing staff and chic hotel. Fridge is filled every day with diet sodas, water, beer and Cava. One of the few rooftop pools in Barcelona. Amazing restaurant, Axel. Pricey hotel, but worth it, especially if you find an all-inclusive package (meals, etc.). The open top HOHO buses (both lines) run in front of the hotel, and it's just across the street from Las Ramblas.

Friends of ours have stayed in private home rentals and unfortunately did not have the wonderful experience they anticipated. We usually try "Purple Roof" or other home rentals here in California, but overseas can be a little more risky.

http://www.grandhotelcentral.com/

• 2 weeks later...

The last time we were in Barcelona (5 years ago) we stayed at the Tryp Apolo and it was okay (not great) and it included full breakfast - but it was a bit pricey, not gay and and it was down toward the end of Las Ramblas.

As we toured around, we got to know the area "Example" (also known as "Gay Example" to the locals). This time we are staying at the Wilson Boutique Hotel on Diagonal - right in the heart of Example. It is likethe Village in NYC. It is right on the main street and it has gotten good reviews (not gay). The rates were good for Barcelona and we booked several months ago (pre-paid) for our trip in June and it was $150 per night for both of us. There are restaurants and cafes all around and fairly convenient to transportation (5-10 minute walk), as we used the subway quite bit during the day and cabs at night. We wanted to stay at the Axel Hotel too, but it was too expensive and we would rather use the money for food and play in Barcelona.

Hope everyone has a great trip...:)

I've not been to Barcelona yet however, I listen to the podcasts of a gay couple from Canada who did a report of their cruise that started in Barcelona. Their site is http:\\http://www.cruisenotebook.com . Look at the 'Brilliance of the Sea' log. They stayed at the Hotel Contintenal and appeared to enjoy it. Their podcast is worth listening to as well - they do a great job.

Doug

I have stayed at the Axel and felt it over priced.. I was in Barcelona two weeks ago and stayed at the La Rambla on the Ramblas and greatly enjoyed the location. Reasonabaly priced, not far from the cruise ships, 1/2 block to the subway..Lots of fun people right out the front door.

Rating:3 Star

La Rambla 19-23

Barcelona,Barcelona 08002

Spain

Phone: +34 93 3019798

Fax: +34 933186263

BTW I spent three nights in Sitges Spain and highly recommend it. the fantastic town of Sitges, about 25km south of Barcelona -- and easy cheap 30 min train ride. It is an ideal vacation town, called the St. Tropez of Spain. Very picturesque. Narrow streets, many where no cars are allowed, great for strolling among the hundreds of gay shops, bars, cafes, restaurants during the afternoon through late evening. Great beaches. Lots of hotels, apartments, and hostels.

I stayed at the Hotel Platjador (http://platjador-sitges.hotel-rez.com/ and http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187502-d238620-Reviews-Hotel_Platjador-Sitges_Catalonia.html) which was a 3-star directly across from the beach.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

499 days at sea

43 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon

Archived