San Francisco Hotel

Nymue

We have booked the Argonaut Hotel for our pre-cruise stay in November. We haven't been there but it has very good reviews on tripadvisor.com.

Hope this helps and have a great cruise!:)

I would probably look at any of the following--

Sheraton Fishermans Wharf

Hilton Fishermans Wharf

Marriott Fishermans Wharf

BestWestern Tuscany Inn

Holiday Inn Express at (you guessed it) Fishermans Wharf

There is a new hotel also called the Argonaut that is supposed to be very very nice. If you are comfortable using Priceline and bid for a 3 star in the Fishermans Wharf zone you will most likely end up with either the Sheraton, Hyatt or Marriott. On Priceline in July I would expect the room would cost around $100 or so on Priceline, if you book conventionally you will probably pay closer to $200. :)

If walking isn't an option then you could also look at hotels in Union Square or the Embarcadero area and then take a cab to the port.

I would probably look at any of the following--

Sheraton Fishermans Wharf

Hilton Fishermans Wharf

Marriott Fishermans Wharf

BestWestern Tuscany Inn

Holiday Inn Express at (you guessed it) Fishermans Wharf

There is a new hotel also called the Argonaut that is supposed to be very very nice. If you are comfortable using Priceline and bid for a 3 star in the Fishermans Wharf zone you will most likely end up with either the Sheraton, Hyatt or Marriott. On Priceline in July I would expect the room would cost around $100 or so, if you book conventionally you will probably pay closer to $200. :)

If walking isn't an option then you could also look at hotels in Union Square or the Embarcadero area and then take a cab to the port.

Dosi has given you great choices.. You cannot go wrong with any of them.. Have a great cruise.

We stayed at at the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf last November. We bid on Priceline and got it for $70. + taxes. That group of hotels are several blocks from the port, however, you may still want a taxi as it is very difficult to pull several pieces of luggage that far. The Hyatt is a very nice hotel and is close to many types of transportation. If you bid on Priceline, be sure to put the 4 star in.

Macy

We stayed at at the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf last November. We bid on Priceline and got it for $70. + taxes. That group of hotels are several blocks from the port, however, you may still want a taxi as it is very difficult to pull several pieces of luggage that far. The Hyatt is a very nice hotel and is close to many types of transportation. If you bid on Priceline, be sure to put the 4 star in.

Macy

There are no four star hotels offered in the Fishermans Wharf area on Priceline. The Sheraton Hyatt and Marriott are all in the three star category.

We always stay at the Beresford Arms when spending a week end in San Francisco. I don't really think any place is "walking" distance to the pier, this hotel is a close cab ride. It is also a "touch" of old San Francisco, built around the 06 quake. A very nice, clean, inexpensive, true "City" hotel.

http://beresford.com/

I went through Priceline and ended up with the Cathedral Hill Hotel for 4 nights before our cruise. Has anyone stayed there? Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,

Anne

Anne, the hotel looks great on the web site. I have only been in the lobby a time or two. I had a doc that was right around the block. Since you asked the location is a little "out of the way" for walking, and S.F. is a walking city. You sure do not want to have a car here, between the traffic, hills and the parking. You are going to be using a lot of public transportation, cabs are not bad, you can probably get most anywhere you want to go for 5 bucks. The last time we were in the City a cab from Fishermans Wharf to the opposite side of town to a BARt station was only 10 bucks.

I would suggest you do some searching now. Get some nice print outs of city maps, find California St. and Van Ness, as that is a cable car stop for you. Also think about an all day ticket for cable cars.

Also, there are so many things to see and do here, try to get an idea before you leave and ask a lot of questions here. Most of us love to brag about the area.

I have no advice on where to stay in SF but I can tell you where NOT to stay!

We booked thru Orbitz.com and ended up paying $89.00 a night for the WORST hotel I have ever set foot in!:eek: So here it is: Heritage Marina Hotel on Van Ness st.

The door to the room did not close securely:eek: , there were entire plates of glass missing from the louvered windows:eek: , the bathroom door was so warped that you had to use your whole body weight to close it:eek: No one to help with bags:eek:

If it were not for the fact that my husband is handicapped and a move at that point to another hotel beyond his capabilities for that day, we would have!

I went through Priceline and ended up with the Cathedral Hill Hotel for 4 nights before our cruise. Has anyone stayed there? Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,

Anne

I could have guessed a place on Van Ness would not be the greatest. I just wish that Cruise Critic folks who ask for information from those of us that live in and around San Francisco would take our advice. Some do, but many ask and then go with the best deal on one of the bidding sites.

There are so many different styles of hotels out here it would be such a shame to end up in a dump.

Never having been to San Fran before, I was completely in the dark as to what area of town, what quality (or lack thereof:rolleyes: ) this hotel would be! Next time I wil certainly ask ask ask here on the boards! It was not so much a case of a bidding issue either, I can't afford the Ritz but being unfamiliar with the town even the yellow pages were not too helpful listing all the hotels as I did not know where these hotels were in relation to the pier and travelling with a disabled hubby, a 13 year old and 6 suitcases, well I took the first one that "sounded" close by, figuring it was only for one night etc......What a night!:eek:

I know I'll never trust an on line broker for a hotel reference again!~

I could have guessed a place on Van Ness would not be the greatest. I just wish that Cruise Critic folks who ask for information from those of us that live in and around San Francisco would take our advice. Some do, but many ask and then go with the best deal on one of the bidding sites.

There are so many different styles of hotels out here it would be such a shame to end up in a dump.

Archived