Panama 2013

sqdancecaller

I'm considering a Panama Cruise Jan. 2013 from FLL to L.A. Is there a best side to be on (Port vs. Starboard)? Ocean view vs. balcony vs. suite? etc. The last time I went through was an East to West, thanks to the Navy. Thanks in advance for any information.

I think the view on both sides is nice. I usually choose a cabin on the port side just because I'm used to it. In November, I chose the starboard side and really enjoyed it because it's the shady side during the transit though the Gatun locks. It was not brutally hot out there. I only did a RT, not a full transit, so I don't recall which side is better for a full transit. I'm sure someone else will have an opinion.

We sailed LA to FLL in January and we had a port mini. We had afternoon shade until we entered the Caribbean (about 10 days) and then we had afternoon sun. We had to close our drapes to keep the cabin cooler those last few days. So, I guess that would be starboard for the reverse journey.

Either side is great for transiting the locks. The Gatun dam and the new construction would be on the Starboard side in your direction. We had a really fun moment mid-canal where we passed the QE heading to the Pacific. The ships blew their horns and passengers from both ships cheered and waved as we sailed by very close to each other. I took some Flip video and our grandson loves watching it over and over. That would mean port side for you to see any ships passing in the reverse direction, and a balcony.

As for the choice of cabin, that's totally up to you. We chose the mini because of the number of sea days, and to have a sofa for watching movies and reading.

Just make sure to move around the ship throughout the day to get the full experience. As we went through the Gatun locks, we went for coffee on the Deck 5 and as the Coral decended (last set of locks for us), we went from daylight to subway tunnel...another way to really experience the marvels of the canal.

It's a great cruise and a great ship.

Pick the side of the ship and type of cabin based on how you will use it for the entire voyage. Limiting yourself to one side of the ship during your Canal transit may result in missing a lot of interesting sights. IMO it is really better to be in one of the public areas where you can get a good look of whatever is of interest as things happen at a gentle pace you can go to the side of where the "action" is. While you are in the locks you may wish to be on one of lower decks where you can practically reach out and touch the lock wall or while passing through Gaillard Cut view Gold Hill or Contractor's Hill. Homesteading on a cabin balcony is great for sea days, but not for the Canal transit otherwise you will have only seen half of the Canal;). See it all:)!

Archived