Dinner Table

The only time I had a problem was on my first cruise we sat with this rich snobby couple that would rarely speak to us and when we tried they acted like we didnt exist. So we asked to be moved and got to sit with two older couples who were great and had a great sense of humor. All you have to do is ask 90% of the time it can happen

We had anytime dining when we were with Princess. We enjoyed everyone and hit it off with a couple from Canada. We decided to go to to a specialty restuarant one night and it was great until they got into a big fight. We felt so uncomfortable. On our upcoming cruise I chose a large table. My husband said, "Of course you did." LOL I enjoy people and you have to be a real jerk for me not to have something nice to say. If your a snob I'll feed your foolishness, and feel bad that you are so lacking in social skills. It'll give the hubby and I something to laugh about later.

On our last cruise our group of four was seated at a table with a group of five...they were all first cruisers from a tiny Texas town. We sat down about five minutes after they did, and it was almost like they were shocked they had to share a table with strangers! They looked at us with a deer in the headlights look the entire first night and barely said two words, even to each other...but they loosened up after that. It was sort of funny...we couldn't figure out what was so scary about us!

Funny this question should come up. We were just on our 9th cruise on RCCL and this one was only one of two times we have had issues with our tablemates. The first was in 2008, but was not an unpleasant experience, we were simply seated at a large table with 6 other couples who only spoke Spanish. They felt so sorry for us and asked the maitre'd to help us fiind a more suitable table. They were so concerned for us and were very nice. We ended up at a table with an older couple and they were very nice as well.

So, for the second story.....Just off a cruise last month. We were seated at a table for 6, but there were only 4 of us. The other couple was very pleasant and we had a lot in common so we got along great. On the second night another couple joined us because they were not happy with their other table so they asked to be moved. Well, we soon found out that it probably wasn't the "other" people at the table, it was them. I've never met two people who felt so "entitled". They complained about the waitstaff all week long; the way they poured their wine, chilled their wine, the way they served, removed plates, etc., etc. When they first sat down, they acted as though the rest of us had never cruised before and starting giving us their tips on how to do things. The rest of us informed them of our multiple cruises and they were a little put out by the fact that the rest of us were above them in C&A level.

This became a longer post than I had planned, but you get the point. Worst week of dinner experience I've ever had. Went in every night stressed and left every night even more stressed. Going back to My Time or a table for two for the next one.

On our Freedom cruise a few weeks ago they sat our family with a Mother & Daughter who were sort of celebrating the girls recent engagement.

They were not very talkative and getting through dinner was a little awkward and alot of work.

It wouldn't have been a big deal except the table was not that big, and we were all "right there".

Although they spoke with us I could tell our kids kind of bothered them.

I was not surprised, but glad when they were not there the next night.

Server said they requested a table for just the two of them.

Has anyone ever been seated with somebody in the main dining room that they didn't like or get along with? Been lucky so far, but concerned that it could happen.......

No, but maybe I'm the one? ;) In reality we have had some great dining mates. On Majesty for the 3 day cruise a lot of people never even go to the dining room. We were at a table by ourselves. On Allure we sat with a nice couple the first night, but they never came back. (I don't think it was us)

If your a snob I'll feed your foolishness, and feel bad that you are so lacking in social skills. It'll give the hubby and I something to laugh about later.

I'm with you on that. However, I try to keep religion and politics off the table, pun intended, but some people will insist it is dinner conversation. There has been other times where I have detected topics people would rather avoid, sometimes not being oblivious to that is helpful. Some people love to talk about their work, others don't. Anytime someone says they are a doctor, I'll add that I won't ask for free advice, but not shy away from questions about their job.

Has anyone ever been seated with somebody in the main dining room that they didn't like or get along with?

Yes, but I was also sharing my cabin with her so dinner was the least of my problems. :o

It's happened once on a cruise with my mother. We were sat with two couples - they spoke enough English to talk to each about how horrible the US is (I think they were from Spain and France). They complained about the US non-stop and my mother immediately requested a different table that night.

We have sailed 10+ times in our twelve year marriage. We prefer a large table so the chances are higher we have something in common with someone and because I tend to be more quiet and I can let everyone else do the heavy conversation lifting. There are 2 cruises that dinner became a dreaded event. Both times we ended up at a table for 4 and had absolutely nothing in common with the other 2 at the table. I said never again! From now on we risk the embarrassment but after night one if we don't feel some sort of a connection we move to a table for 2.

Has anyone ever been seated with somebody in the main dining room that they didn't like or get along with? Been lucky so far, but concerned that it could happen.......

I think it normal to worry a bit, but if you do get table companions you don't get alone with you either asked to move to another table, move to MTD, eat in the buffet or specialty dining. All in all you hear more good then bad when it comes to dining companions and I think this is what make cruising different than other vacations. You are force to eat with other strangers who can become good friends. Sometimes it works; sometimes not. I've sat with some wonderful people and sometimes complete bores or obnoxious people. You shouldn't worry about what might or might not happen.

On our first cruise (honeymoon), we were seated at a table for 4 with another couple who were going through a divorce (they couldn't get a refund on the cruise). It was awful dining with them every night, as they were constantly bickering or giving each other the silent treatment. We were new to cruising, and didn't realize you could ask to change tables. On our second cruise, we were seated at a table for 8 and only one single guy showed up all week, and he brought his laptop with him and watched movies while listening to headphones during dinner every night. After those experiences, we request and/or move to a table for 2 unless we are cruising with others that we know.

Definitely and the best thing to do is see the Maitre'D the first night and get a new table assignment or switch to anytime dining. We had it happen on a 15 night cruise - they put our family at a table with a lush. She was in a drunken stupor by the time dessert rolled around. I doubt she even noticed we were gone on the 2nd night. They accommodated us at a table on the other side of the dining room and we had 14 nights with a great group of people.

On Carnival Sensation we sat with an Elvis impersonator and his family which was interesting, he'd sometimes break out in the middle of dinner and start singing Elvis songs which made me laugh my ass off cuz everyone would just stop and stare at our table.

On Celebrity Horizon we had a middle aged lesbian couple at our table, I was with my cousins and mother at that table, so we basically had control of that table, and after every course we'd just go find the girls we were hanging out with on the cruise at their tables and talk until the next course was coming out, I know my mom and my cousins mom were terrified of couple, but I don't think they were out of line.

On Carnival Triumph, which was a 3 night cruise, my cousin and I cruised solo and didn't even go to the main dining room because we figured if we didn't go we'd get some money back (which we did) for not going, and we used that spare money for drinks. We basically ate at the buffet, Pizza place, and this sandwhich shop all 3 days.

Next up will be Royal Caribbean Explorer Of The Seas, I plan on dressing up every one of the 9 nights and going to the main dining room for at least lunch and dinner. Now their is 4 of us going, 2 of my cousins just pulled out a month ago because his job (US Customs Enforcement) wouldn't give him off during the summer because that's their busy time.

P.S. We have MYTIMEDINING for RCCL Explorer, so we prob wont see the same ppl everytime

On our Freedom cruise a few weeks ago they sat our family with a Mother & Daughter who were sort of celebrating the girls recent engagement.

They were not very talkative and getting through dinner was a little awkward and alot of work.

It wouldn't have been a big deal except the table was not that big, and we were all "right there".

Although they spoke with us I could tell our kids kind of bothered them.

I was not surprised, but glad when they were not there the next night.

Server said they requested a table for just the two of them.

Probably better that they took a hike! At least then you had that table for yourself and your whole family. Sit us with 5 Russian blondes, that's what I say!

I don't hear well. If I'm at a big table, there is no way I can carry on a conversation with anyone more than 2 seats away.

That is my problem too and one reason part of my embarkation day routine is to check out the location of our dining room table early so we can go right to our table and get the seat that is most conducive to my listening well.

and he brought his laptop with him and watched movies while listening to headphones during dinner every night.

I've seen plenty of, "is it ok to wear jean or shorts in the dining room" threads, but never a "is it ok to bring a laptop and watch movies thread" That had to draw some looks from nearby tables and the staff.

My first cruise was with terrible dinner mates, thought they were above all and didn't speak to anyone outside of their group after the round of introductions. My second cruise had 1 person at our table who was very rude and obnoxious, we dined 2 nights and after that I was done with it, we ate elsewhere for the rest of the trip. Thank goodness for the next cruise as it was all familyand friends and had a great time!!!!

On our 1st cruise, we were at a table for 4. The couple at our table showed up the 1st night and didn't say much of anything. The wife seemed like she had to get a nod of approval from the husband to even say anything. After the 1st night they didn't come back so we had the table to ourselves the entire cruise. We never even seen them anywhere on the ship after that night!

Only on one cruise so the odds have been pretty good for us.

First night there were only 6 of us at a table for 8. Next night a new couple arrived. They complained about their 1st table and were moved to our table. She had him sit across from her because he had a cold and she did not want to catch his cold! Great...let one of us get the cold.

Next night, we arrived and sat at the far end of the rectangular table, the next couple came and sat next to us..then this newer couple came and sat at the other end leaving 2 open seats. The 4th couple did not come to dinner that night, leaving a gap in the seating arrangement throughout dinner.

The next night, the newest couple requested to be seated at yet another table because we were rude and did not sit next to them!

LOL JMG that's great! I really didn't talk to anyone from the cruises i've been on that were at our table, I've always had my cousins their to talk to, and I let the old folk (Parents/Cousins) talk to the strangers...A simple head nod "how are you" is all ppl get if they are lucky :p When my cousins and I are done eating, we just LEAVE immediately and find something to do w/ the girls we meet onboard...That's how it's always been. But now, i'm going w/ a female cousin and her mom, which is also a cousin, so we'll see what happens

Funny this question should come up. We were just on our 9th cruise on RCCL and this one was only one of two times we have had issues with our tablemates. The first was in 2008, but was not an unpleasant experience, we were simply seated at a large table with 6 other couples who only spoke Spanish. They felt so sorry for us and asked the maitre'd to help us fiind a more suitable table. They were so concerned for us and were very nice. We ended up at a table with an older couple and they were very nice as well.

So, for the second story.....Just off a cruise last month. We were seated at a table for 6, but there were only 4 of us. The other couple was very pleasant and we had a lot in common so we got along great. On the second night another couple joined us because they were not happy with their other table so they asked to be moved. Well, we soon found out that it probably wasn't the "other" people at the table, it was them. I've never met two people who felt so "entitled". They complained about the waitstaff all week long; the way they poured their wine, chilled their wine, the way they served, removed plates, etc., etc. When they first sat down, they acted as though the rest of us had never cruised before and starting giving us their tips on how to do things. The rest of us informed them of our multiple cruises and they were a little put out by the fact that the rest of us were above them in C&A level.

This became a longer post than I had planned, but you get the point. Worst week of dinner experience I've ever had. Went in every night stressed and left every night even more stressed. Going back to My Time or a table for two for the next one.

I had to comment-we were in upstate NY at a very fancy restaurant in our hotel. The couple seated at the next table thought they were wine experts-they kept telling the waiter how "expert" they were and how many people they knew. It was hilarious! Not cruise related but table mate related. I have booked a table for two for my cruise!

DH & I first cruise was on VOS - I read so much about how people had such fun at dinner with a group of people at the table. I couldn't wait to go to the dinning room.

It was a table for 6 - 1 couple never showed, the other couple she didn't speak any English, it was just so awkward. We didn't know we could change tables.

That is how we found the Windjammer for dinner, which we did love. It had the table clothes, watched the sunset each night eating dinner. We sat in the same section so we had the same staff each night that were wonderful.

Archived