6 ships, 18,000 plus people in port!!!!

CondoDiva

Am I crazy thinking I can go to St. John on my own for a dinghy rental I have set up and make it back for a 5pm sailing at Crown Bay????

Arrival is 8am at Crown Bay....travel to Red Hook....take Ferry....go to Calypso Boat Rentals....go snorkeling, leave St. John at 2:00??? It's early but with that many people in port I can just imagine the line for the ferries back to Red Hook.

I have to rent the dinghy at the full day rate (9-4), but will realistically only be able to use the dinghy from 10-1:30...my best estimation.

I don't know.....How CRAZY is the port with that many people????

Thank you!!

Am I crazy thinking I can go to St. John on my own for a dinghy rental I have set up and make it back for a 5pm sailing at Crown Bay????

Arrival is 8am at Crown Bay....travel to Red Hook....take Ferry....go to Calypso Boat Rentals....go snorkeling, leave St. John at 2:00??? It's early but with that many people in port I can just imagine the line for the ferries back to Red Hook.

I have to rent the dinghy at the full day rate (9-4), but will realistically only be able to use the dinghy from 10-1:30...my best estimation.

I don't know.....How CRAZY is the port with that many people????

Thank you!!

So I guess swinging by here to post about the 5 ships and 15k people there when I sail next February is kind of a moot-point now...

I hope they save me a spot at Coki Beach...

When are you sailing?

We are sailing Saturday!! I thought I would just check to see what ships were in the ports we were visiting......I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that many on the same day!!!:eek:

My boys told me not to worry and cancel the boat rental.....their response, we have done it already!! But it definitely was the highlight of our last cruise!!! So now plan B.....as soon as I figure out what that will be!!!

Since you have done it all before, you don't have to worry about being disoriented or not knowing how the taxi's work. Just head to the one that looks the fullest that is leaving for Red Hook - the faster they fill up - the faster they leave. If there is a line at the ticket counter - have the exact fare ready for one way ($6.00 pp) and you can pay the attendant at the doorway. There is no discount for round trip so it's not that big of a deal. Then buy your return ticket before you go over to Calypso. While one of your party does the 'orientation' with the staff- the other can run down to the Grotto Deli for beverages and snacks.

Yes do the excursion as planned, no worries. Return ferries are not a problem, just get to your departing ferry in time to ensure you have a place in line (not just before it's due to leave).

Don't feel too bady, we'll be in Nassau on Easter Sunday and there are 7 ships in port including the new Carnival & Disney Dreams! 17,375 ppl in little Nassau - that promises to be ugly!:eek:

Yes do the excursion as planned, no worries. Return ferries are not a problem, just get to your departing ferry in time to ensure you have a place in line (not just before it's due to leave).

Don't feel too bady, we'll be in Nassau on Easter Sunday and there are 7 ships in port including the new Carnival & Disney Dreams! 17,375 ppl in little Nassau - that promises to be ugly!:eek:

OMG! I did not realize there were that many ships then. I will be there also, I may not be getting off the ship after all.

It would be interesting to see how they park them all! The Carnival Imagination is departing when we arrive on the Freedom (7AM). I'm checking other sources to confirm the info below is indeed accurate. The capacities are estimates as found onthe cruise line sites..

Norwegian Sun 8AM – 3PM 2,000 pass.

Norwegian Sky 8AM – 5PM 2,000 pass.

Disney Dream 9:30AM – 5:30PM 4,000 pass.

Majesty of the Seas 8AM – 5PM 2,750 pass.

Carnival Freedom – 7AM – 2PM 2,975 pass.

Carnival Dream 8:30AM – 2PM 3,650 pass.

Carnival Imagination (depart 7AM 2,600 pass.)

OMG. I'll be there too.

Well...we cancelled the dinghy rental and we are going to......the hot place on St. thomas....SAPHIRRE BEACH!!

We just didn't want to deal with the crowds and ferries and cutting our rental short.....etc!

I'll let you know how the port is when it is so crowded:eek:

The port load doesn't matter much when we're booking a trip over the holidays with limited family availability. And really, in the Caribbean, it's more about the trip then the destination, since I've been to the ports before.

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted this in the past, but it bears repeating. If St. Thomas is mobbed, St. John's will probably also be crowded. Why don't people consider going to Water Island? It is a 10 min. ferry ride from St. Thomas and has great beaches with no crowds. Check out the website that Alexmom gave for info on Water Island.

Archived