Concordia Salvage decision made: refloat and tow!

PelicanBill

I had a poll up about what should be done with that rock. It was too soon so we pulled it. Making a memorial out of it was leading the poll with about 55% of the vote.

I remember that poll.

With the weight of it, do you believe they will be able to remove it in one piece?

Let me get this straight. You want them to put an above water monument over an under water rock for Concordia? :eek:

Okay, 32 people died. Sad, but...

So then, what do we do for Titanic, Empress of Ireland, Lusitania, Andrea Doria, et al? What about Cap Arcona? I know, only 5000 died there.

What do we do for the Wilhelm Gustloff, where over 10,000 died? I know, you never heard of the greatest loss of life at sea- not surprised.

Ya' gonna put all these monuments up to to distract navigation?

Hey, look, I hit a rock whilst on QE2 in August 1992. While no one died, it's just noted on the charts, We don't need a monument for this stuff.

What makes you think Costa Concordia is some dramatic sea disaster? As to loss of life it is barely a blip on the radar screen!

Do we need a monument for when RMS Olympic sliced in half the Nantucket Light Ship and killed all on board?

We need to learn some history here, and Concordia, despite her size means next to nothing. Deal with it.

Sorry, but very true.

Let me get this straight. You want them to put an above water monument over an under water rock for Concordia? :eek:

Okay, 32 people died. Sad, but...

So then, what do we do for Titanic, Empress of Ireland, Lusitania, Andrea Doria, et al? What about Cap Arcona? I know, only 5000 died there.

What do we do for the Wilhelm Gustloff, where over 10,000 died? I know, you never heard of the greatest loss of life at sea- not surprised.

Ya' gonna put all these monuments up to to distract navigation?

Hey, look, I hit a rock whilst on QE2 in August 1992. While no one died, it's just noted on the charts, We don't need a monument for this stuff.

What makes you think Costa Concordia is some dramatic sea disaster? As to loss of life it is barely a blip on the radar screen!

Do we need a monument for when RMS Olympic sliced in half the Nantucket Light Ship and killed all on board?

We need to learn some history here, and Concordia, despite her size means next to nothing. Deal with it.

Sorry, but very true.

Not exactly under water. If you look at the photos of the wreck, you'll see a large rock embedded in the hull above water. They have to remove it to plate over the hole.

I remember that poll.

With the weight of it, do you believe they will be able to remove it in one piece?

It must be solid to have made it where it is now and considering that they're going to float a ship that weighs somewhere in the 51,000 ton range then a 20 ton boulder shouldn't be much of a problem.

Yes -and easy too. They'll sling it several ways, getting right under it and then have a floating crane give it a great big yank! and it'll come out.

Even if they may need to previously burn away some steel bits holding it firmly here and there.

If you look at the photos of the wreck, you'll see a large rock embedded in the hull above water. They have to remove it to plate over the hole.
Plating over the port side damage-hole presently above waterline -is the easy bit(after getting the boulder out).

They are yet to find out the full extent of any damage(now underwater) on the starboard side that's been crunching its way on rocks etc.

That shall come after the hull has been righted (whether the damaged area is then in air or underwater).

Yes -and easy too. They'll sling it several ways, getting right under it and then have a floating crane give it a great big yank! and it'll come out.

Even if they may need to previously burn away some steel bits holding it firmly here and there.

Thanks.

I guess I really didn't doubt they could get it out. More wondering how they would/could do it.

The salvage plan does not call for patching the hull. Bouyancy will be provided by external tanks attached to both the port and starboard sides of Concordia. Floating will consist of pumping water out of those new, external tanks.

All of that salvage is going to happen veeeeery slowly. I'm hoping for some great time-lapse video.

I wouldn't doubt it if the various Discovery Channel type cable channels are bidding to make a documentary about it. We had half a dozen shows about the wreck, could be as many about the salvage. I vote for Shatner to narrate.

The salvage plan does not call for patching the hull. Bouyancy will be provided by external tanks attached to both the port and starboard sides of Concordia. Floating will consist of pumping water out of those new, external tanks.

They have to cover plate the side of the ship. If not, when it is floated, it will begin to fill with water again

They have to cover plate the side of the ship. If not, when it is floated, it will begin to fill with water again

With all due respect, the salvage plans do not count on repairing the hull to the point where the Concordia can float on her own. The auxillary floatation tanks to be attached to the hull will be large enough to provide sufficient lift to keep the Concordia from sinking.

With all due respect, the salvage plans do not count on repairing the hull to the point where the Concordia can float on her own. The auxillary floatation tanks to be attached to the hull will be large enough to provide sufficient lift to keep the Concordia from sinking.

Can I ask where you got the detials?

The wreck will have to be towed somewhere and I would think the hull needs to be sealed as much as possble.

AKK

Below is a copy of Post #125 from this thread which contains a link to a ~4 minute video presentation of the salvage plans.

Hi

Giglio news has posted this video

http://www.giglionews.it/2012043058563/news/isola-del-giglio/il-video-della-rimozione-del-relitto-concordia.html

Hope this helps quell the speculation and more important that the operation finally finds the two remaining victims

Clive

No mention in the video of patching the hull. Concordia will be towed to a salvage location with the external tanks described in place to provide the needed lift.

Below is a copy of Post #125 from this thread which contains a link to a ~4 minute video presentation of the salvage plans.

No mention in the video of patching the hull. Concordia will be towed to a salvage location with the external tanks described in place to provide the needed lift.

While they might not patch the holes, the tanks that will be attached to the side to lift the ship could be considered a patch if they're placed over the holes. I doubt they're going to attempt to tow her with any kind of hole in the hull that are below or even close to the waterline. I would imagine that any water getting into the ship would cause serious issues with the towing operation.

Here's an article with some details of the work to be done.

http://www.theworld.org/2012/05/removal-costa-concordia-italy/

ok....I saw that awhile ago.

That is only a 4 minute show.to give the overview.

While being towed the vessel with open water entry and exit form the hull would creat considerable free surface and changes in stablity of the wreck. teh GM would change and the rolling of the wrck would be increased. The the Tow Master would be sweating the whole trip.

I believe that the holes will have at least temporary patchs.

AKK

Well, AKK, as to some comments above, it would be hard to believe that no contract has been signed with a production company to film / document the salvage work and produce a 2 hour or so TV special about it. That would equal additional $$$$$$$$ to mitigate damages.

That aside, one would think they need to patch some holes. Problem is, the ship is stuck on the rocks, literally one going through the hull, like a nail through a board, so they have to get her off the rocks first. Oy!

If the ship had hit the rocks, moved on, and then heeled over, it would seem logical that all you really need to do is patch the hull, pump out the water (just as they did with the fuel), and she should right herself.

Any thoughts?

While being towed the vessel with open water entry and exit form the hull would creat considerable free surface and changes in stablity of the wreck. teh GM would change and the rolling of the wrck would be increased. The the Tow Master would be sweating the whole trip.

AKK

There is a statement from titan on gcaptain saying that the amimatic being shown on the internet and tv was a leaked document from earlier in the bid process and is not entirely correct.

we will have to wait until an official release is made to see the finalized plan.

AKK

Yes, temporary patches or permanent would likely have to be fitted. They may be the traditional planks and puddings (bundles of canvas) or they may be plank and concrete or they may be welded, but the potential of losing the hulk once it is being towed makes patching logical.

Well, AKK, as to some comments above, it would be hard to believe that no contract has been signed with a production company to film / document the salvage work and produce a 2 hour or so TV special about it. That would equal additional $$$$$$$$ to mitigate damages.

That aside, one would think they need to patch some holes. Problem is, the ship is stuck on the rocks, literally one going through the hull, like a nail through a board, so they have to get her off the rocks first. Oy!

If the ship had hit the rocks, moved on, and then heeled over, it would seem logical that all you really need to do is patch the hull, pump out the water (just as they did with the fuel), and she should right herself.

Any thoughts?

Well the plan shows the wreck being uprighted on to the underwater plaftform, at that point they could to the patch work.

The patchs could also be done from the inside

Isn't guess work fun lou!

I sure hope there is a ongoing documentary on this ......the project so huge.......your right I am sure someone will contract to do it.

AKK

Yes, temporary patches or permanent would likely have to be fitted. They may be the traditional planks and puddings (bundles of canvas) or they may be plank and concrete or they may be welded, but the potential of losing the hulk once it is being towed makes patching logical.

All totally possible Doc.

I saw them using a foam once........a smaller hole then the rock.....they built inner plywood bulkwork and a light exterior overlay of the hole. The foam was pumped in...it expanded and got hard like cement.

AKK

AKK

There is a statement from titan on gcaptain saying that the amimatic being shown on the internet and tv was a leaked document from earlier in the bid process and is not entirely correct.

we will have to wait until an official release is made to see the finalized plan.

One thing about these projects....the plan always changes as you go along!

AKK

The salvage plan does not count on buoyancy from any of the damaged compartments of Concordia. The external tanks attached will provide the needed buoyancy. The plan calls for steel straps connecting the external tanks on one side to the other under the hull thus creating a cradle to transport the wreck to a more suitable salvage location. I imagine the tow speed will not be more than a couple of knots. I find this plan to be quite wise as it does not count on having to repair the hull and thus is not at risk with regard to the uncertainty of the extent of the damage either on the exposed port side where she side-swiped the island or on the hidden starboard side upon which she has been resting for months. It is certainly going to be an amazing sight to see this huge ship being nursed along to her final destination!

This is from the article I linked above, dated from May 9th.

So it’s good news for residents that the American company Titan Salvage will team with Italian contractor Micoperi to tow away the ship in one piece. The two companies will work together to tug the 114,000-ton ship upright onto an underwater platform, where they’ll repair the gash on its side.

They’ll then attach two air-filled flotation devices to keep the vessel buoyant as it’s towed to a nearby port. The year-long, $300 million removal project is set to start this month.

Archived