What dock does Oceania use in Amalfi/Positano

DJC111

I have had a private tour guide ask me to find out exactly what port the Oceania Marina will dock in when they say Amalfi/Positano. I know we are anchored, but where do we tender into? Anyone?

I have had a private tour guide ask me to find out exactly what port the Oceania Marina will dock in when they say Amalfi/Positano. I know we are anchored, but where do we tender into? Anyone?

If a guide asked ME that, it would be a clue that he was not very experienced and I would not use him. :cool:

When we booked our tour from Sorrento in October, there was a possibility we might ship to another port (Naples?). Our guide told us not to worry -- they would find us.

An experienced guide should know how to find you.

Mura

Please take all the put-down posts about your guide with a grain of salt. Inexperienced with cruises is not the same as inexperienced. Your guide will need to know two things unique to guiding cruisers:

1. He/she will need to know the location of a variety of ports since sea conditions and competition for dock space may, on a last-minute basis, impact your actual tender port. As part of this, he/she will need to know a phone number of the ship's port agent to get this last minute information. (Of course, you may have a phone you've activated for international use or a smart phone which will allow you to send an email the night before and, again, in the morning.)

2. He/she must be able to plan with no-room-for-error to be back in time for the last tender to the ship.

But the information about interesting sites, picturesque villages, appealing vistas, delicious restaurants, interesting shops is the same information any guide needs for land visitors. Incidentally, a good rule of thumb for planning a port call is to begin with the farthest destination abd work your way back to the port since traffic and lingering longer in one site can impact the time you get to spend in the later destinations.

If you don't get an answer on this board about the range of possible tender ports, just phone Oceania and ask your question.

We were scheduled to tender at Amalfi, but docked in Naples instead. We knew about the change a day in advance, so we were able to email the guide; he already knew about the change, and met us in Naples.

We initially tendered in Amalfi and then later in the afternoon the ship had to move to a more secluded bay due to high winds.

Those pax still on shore were transferred by bus. Must have been an eye-opener seeing the ship sail away while still on shore perhaps returning from a tour.

Just an FYI that things can change at anytime. Flexibilty and allowing for surprises is the key

Here's a question for you: What are your plans for your port call in Amalfi/Positano? I ask because the different docks will impact drive time and distances to get place. You may want to work with your guide to create a flexible itinerary depending on where you dock. The fabulous thing about this area is the abundance of amazing things to see and do.

Docking in Naples will add an hour's drive each way if you plan to spend a scenic day along the Amalfi coast.

If you dock in Naples, you may want to substitute Herculaneum for Pompeii. Both are towns destroyed by eruptions from Vesuvius, but the ways the towns got destroyed were different. Herculaneum is closer to Naples, more intact, and, frankly, less visited, a definite advantage in my opinion. However, plenty of people dock in Naples and with early disembarkation manage to make a morning visit to Pompeii and eat lunch in the mountains overlooking the on the Amalfi coast.

If you dock in Naples, you may want to include some time in the city itself. Yes, I know the city has a reputation for being dirty and unsafe, but once past the port area, the city isn't any dirtier than other destinations. Just use situational awareness (especially don't wear expensive jewelry ashore) and the city will reveal its charms to you. Definitely visit the shops selling the famous carved Nativity scenes and MORE, the archaeological museum, and eat pizza where it was invented.

If you dock in Salerno you'll be the closest to Pompeii and the Amalfi coast.

If you tender anywhere along the Amalfi Coast, consider visiting Paestum, south of the peninsula. There are several Greek temples in absolutely perfect condition just rising up out of the fields.

Archived