Flying Gold Coast to Sydney on same day of cruise

There are flights every hour from 6am in the morning from Gold Coast (Coolangatta) to Sydney.

Based on this would it be too risky to catch a 9am flight on the morning of the cruise if the ships sails at 6pm.

I have flown more than 15 flights since January this year and not one has been delayed more than 15 minutes. Last year we had the volcanic ash problem and my flight to adelaide was cancelled but normally the domestic airlines are pretty reliable IMO.

I've flown Sydney to Brisbane on the day of a cruise. I figure there's always heaps of flights if one is cancelled, fogged in yada yada.

What time of year? Don't forget to take in daylight saving. The flight is only about an hour, but could be 10 minutes or 2 hours depending on daylight saving.

9am is good....you can go straight to the dock, and check-in and board

I've flown Sydney to Brisbane on the day of a cruise. I figure there's always heaps of flights if one is cancelled, fogged in yada yada.

What time of year? Don't forget to take in daylight saving. The flight is only about an hour, but could be 10 minutes or 2 hours depending on daylight saving.

9am is good....you can go straight to the dock, and check-in and board

Deb

Sail date is 23 october has daylight saving started by then?

Daylight saving begins again on October 7 2012.

I reckon flying down on the morning of the cruise will be fine. There is plenty of time and plenty of flights on that route should something happen.

You should be perfectly fine...but remember if the worst happens (pilot strike etc.)and you have to purchase a last minute ticket on another airline...$$$

I like to start my cruises in holiday mode...a night in the port city before..a leisurely breakfast no fuss no stress and I am onboard relaxed and ready.

Sue

We usually fly down the day b4 our cruises but next yr we will be flying down on the day (Feb). If I were to do that in the winter I would book an early flight just incase the airport is closed due to fog ect. Just make sure u have travel insurance just to be on the safe side. Have a great cruise.

We fly from the Gold Coast to Sydney on the same day as our cruise departs. I do recommend you take an early flight though just to be sure you arrive with plenty of time to spare.

Only once did we have a problem, and that was a few years ago. We booked OOL to SYD. About a week before they cancelled the flight and advised we would be departing from Brisbane. No problem we thought. Arranged a shuttle to take us to Brisbane. Along the way there was an accident on the Gateway bridge and all lanes were closed. We were sitting at the beginning of the bridge and there we sat and watched our flight depart. There was nothing we could do. We finally got to the airport, they managed to find us seats on another flight and we arrived at the cruise terminal in Sydney about 45 minutes before the cruise departed at 5.00pm. We were the last to board the ship....:eek:

Our flight from Brisbane that we missed departed at 9.20am.

Jilly:)

Hi, I always fly down the day before nowadays...had a close call once flying Mackay to Brisbane to catch ship on same day...we had engine problem...diverted to Rockhampton.....hours before another flight, then cab to ship... thinking I would have missed her..luckily the ship was running late and I was last passenger on...I never want to be as stressed out as that day..

I take my time, have a look around the shops, have chinese dinner and an early night..wake up refreshed and ready to go cruising...lol

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. The cruise sails on my birthday and the hubby isnt coming .... Just me and the kids so i will feel bad if i go the day before! Going to go with the 9am flight as there are 4 or 5 flights after that on the day that will get us there unless of course the airline industry stops on that day altogether!! And that would just be really bad luck i think.....

We always fly Brisbane-Sydney on the day of the cruise and have never had a problem. During daylight saving time in New South Wales we book a flight around 8am-8.15am and during winter we book for 9am-9.15am. We have several hours lee-way in case something goes wrong.:)

I see your reluctance to go the previous day when your husband isn't going with you. Keep in mind also that the cost of one night's accommodation in Sydney for yourself and your kids (how many? how old?) is probably going to come out of your pocket. :D

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. The cruise sails on my birthday and the hubby isnt coming .... Just me and the kids so i will feel bad if i go the day before! Going to go with the 9am flight as there are 4 or 5 flights after that on the day that will get us there unless of course the airline industry stops on that day altogether!! And that would just be really bad luck i think.....

Hi Chookie, you should be okay with that flight and should be in Sydney about 10-10:30. You could even go straight to the terminal and it would not be too much of a wait, if any. We just got back from the Volendam a few weeks ago and they were letting people in around 11:00 at the Bangaroo Wharf.

Barbara

Archived