"All-inclusive" drinks package for Kids

Can anyone advise?

We are taking our family, including the grandchildren, on a Thomson Dream two week Caribbean cruise next January. We want the drinks package but have hit a problem. Two of the four grandchildren will be just two years old at the time of travelling and Thomson insist that the must also pay for this despite the fact that they will not be old enough to take advantage of it.

Thomson say that children are classified as from 2 to 16 years. however, to use the Kids club they must be 3 years plus. It appears that they have two standards. Surely, if they are too young for the kids club they are too young for the "All-inclusive" drinks!

Any suggestions? :confused:

Unfortunately Thomson do insist on all members of the party taking out AI to prevent passengers with it getting drinks for passengers without.With children it is obviously a bit silly and I have wondered if it is strictly legal to enforce a charge for goods that they dont supply,although there are items on the AI that are available to under 18's. I wonder in your case if ,as i assume the party consists of you and your wife,two children and spouses each with 2 kids , if you could make separate bookings allocating all the kids to one pair of adults without AI and the other 4 adults paying for the AI and perhaps taking it in turns to have a drink. I know this isnt strictly playing ball but it is a suggestion.:confused:

Unfortunately Thomson do insist on all members of the party taking out AI to prevent passengers with it getting drinks for passengers without.With children it is obviously a bit silly and I have wondered if it is strictly legal to enforce a charge for goods that they dont supply,although there are items on the AI that are available to under 18's. I wonder in your case if ,as i assume the party consists of you and your wife,two children and spouses each with 2 kids , if you could make separate bookings allocating all the kids to one pair of adults without AI and the other 4 adults paying for the AI and perhaps taking it in turns to have a drink. I know this isnt strictly playing ball but it is a suggestion.:confused:

Spot on Merciaman . :cool: Also if I was them, just order 4 drinks off one card like I've seen done onboard ship with many people . The bar waiters do'nt bat an eye lid they want your order , someone to sign for the drinks and with a bit of luck a few quid off you at the end of your cruise .;)

As you say make separate bookings.:)

I would think carefully before taking the AI option if it is at full price. Most people find they really do not drink enough to make it worthwhile. You have to remember that most days you will be in port and off the ship, so will only be drinking in the evening on board. Drink prices are pretty low. It is worth having if it is offered for say £69 per week.

Our bill on the Spirit for one week was approx £220 for two of us and we had a bottle of wine most nights and OH certainly didn't stint on the beer. On the Dream it was just over £400 for 2 weeks for two of us, so we would certainly have lost out if we had paid the full price of nearly £800:eek:

Our bill on the Spirit for one week was approx £220 for two of us and we had a bottle of wine most nights and OH certainly didn't stint on the beer. On the Dream it was just over £400 for 2 weeks for two of us, so we would certainly have lost out if we had paid the full price of nearly £800:eek:

I agree Linda,we were quoted £378 for 1week on the recent cruise on the celabration,our drinks bill came to £195 and we had a drink when we wanted one and were not worrying about the cost,so for us it wasn't worth paying full AI price.

If you can get it for less than £100 each per week then I would go for it.

Archived