Jack"s shack

Jack's is definitely worth the walk. The food was good, the drinks were great. It's right down the beach from Margaritaville, but a hell of a lot cheaper. I didn't snorkel there cause I did a snorkeling excursion in the morning, but there were a few people snorkeling. The water in front is crystal clear and the sand is like powder. My girlfriend enjoyed playing frisbee with Topher and Cooper - Jack's dogs - while I hung at the bar and got smashed. Can't wait to go back in October!!!!!

This is going to depend on what you are looking for. We had heard people raving about Jack's so on one of our trips we left Margaritaville and headed up the beach to check it out. It's not a short trek though although quite doable, but the day we did it was blazing hot. We had left the lively vibe and went to a much quieter setting. I think alot of people like the internet access they get there as well. We saw many laptops out that day. We preferred the lively setting at Margaritaville so we headed back there. Again it's all in what you prefer.

We had wanted to go there in Jan. and meet up with some of our group on roll call. I had just had ankle surgery recently, and even tho normal walking was fine for me, walking that distance on the beach was not doable. We ended up staying at Margaritaville.

Hopefully next time we are there I can handle walking on the sand.

Claudia

Anyone hung out at Jack's shack?? Is it worth it?? Is the food good? What about free shot? Most of all is the snorkeling any good? THANKS for the info!!:)

DW and I love Jack's. It is a little walk down the beach from Margaritaville, but much more laid-back. A few chairs in the sand by the ocean, a little bar and a shack where they cook some great jerk chicken. When we were on Miracle, the ship's crew skipped Margaritaville and went with us to Jacks.

The snorkeling is great even just past Margaritaville. We gave up walking all the way to Jack's and were just shy of getting to the Village place. We did basic snorkelling right off the beach, it was great!

Saw flounder or sole, bright fish a lot of grey ones and swarms of minnows. It was fun for the beginners in our group.

I loved Grand Turk!!! I'd book another cruise just to stay there for a day.

Just an FYI...Jacks is about a 10 minute walk down the beach. When you get off the ship, go left and walk along the shore, youll see his blue sign.

If you go, get his dog Topher to dig for crabs for you. Its a riot. Find a crab Topher! (he will start digging) GET IT! GET IT! GET IT! ( he will dig like there is no tomorrow, sand flying everywhere!) I think there is some YOUTUBE of it too.

We spent about 4 hours there at the bar, drinking Sandy Vaginas, having jerk chicken and fries and shootin the chit! Wonderful time....Jack is hilarious, (beware, if you are a pretty girl he will try to sell you a Jacks Shack thong that he has hanging over the bar!)

I agree with the poster who said its all about what your looking for. Margarittavilla was like spring break in Cancun with loud music and the annoying guy on the loudspeaker and drinking games etc.

Jacks shack on the other hand had some light music playing. People sitting around enjoying the view and chatting. Some great dreaks, at MUCH better prices vs Margarittavilla. The food was good and we enjoyed the cats and Jacks dog.

So to sum it up

Margarittavilla - Overpriced drunken spring break

Jacks Shack - Cheers on a beach, with a dog and good jerk chicken.

If you go, get his dog Topher to dig for crabs for you. Its a riot. Find a crab Topher! (he will start digging) GET IT! GET IT! GET IT! ( he will dig like there is no tomorrow, sand flying everywhere!) I think there is some YOUTUBE of it too.

2993652950094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Topher after a crab last year when we were on Fantasy. Jack makes a mean rum punch.:cool: We much prefer Jack's to the beach area near Margaritaville.

The dog is adorable but please this is really NOT cheaper than Margaritaville

The loungers cost $5...and the drink prices seem to have gone up

Those drink prices cost more than ship prices and no "frozen" drinks that I can see???

Sometimes people on these boards get to "love" a place and then the place raises prices...or *in the case of tour operators gets too big and successful and the owner no longer gives a tour

The little "local" bar shack on the way to Jack's is really cheaper and has good conch fritters

and the loungers are free at the pool/beach when you get off the ship

If/when I go back to Grand Turk I would like to visit Jack's but no way would I pay for a lounger

The dog is adorable but please this is really NOT cheaper than Margaritaville

The loungers cost $5...and the drink prices seem to have gone up

Those drink prices cost more than ship prices and no "frozen" drinks that I can see???

Sometimes people on these boards get to "love" a place and then the place raises prices...or *in the case of tour operators gets too big and successful and the owner no longer gives a tour

The little "local" bar shack on the way to Jack's is really cheaper and has good conch fritters

If/when I go back to Grand Turk I would like to visit Jack's but no way would I pay for a lounger

$9 is the most expensive drink at Jacks and $9 is what you pay for a VIRGIN frozen drink at margaritaville.Id pay $5 for that chair anyday and when we were there Jack and his wife gave us as much drinks as we paid for and they were good drinks not all juice(and gave us a ride back to the ship ). We will be back to visit again

2993652950094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Topher after a crab last year when we were on Fantasy. Jack makes a mean rum punch.:cool: We much prefer Jack's to the beach area near Margaritaville.

Topher was awesome ,if you ran on the beach he would chase you and try to pull your bathing suit down.It kept us occupied and we got some drunkin excersize in for a few hours;)

We walked over to Jack's Shack the last time we were there on Blogger's Cruise 4. A lot of the blogger's were already there and the place was packed!!!!

Topher was our buddy for the longest time and only left to take a quick dip in the water and then came right back to our table and kept visiting with us....I didn't see any other dog or a cat there so perhaps they got them after.

I felt at home when I saw the Canadian flag *BG*....alas, too bad the Canadian government didn't accept the T&C's offer to buy the islands in the 80's when they were in debt...I could have moved there and lived there legally as it would have been a Canadian province *BG*.....but they didn't....

The first time we visited GT we stayed at the beach by Margaritaville and really didn't enjoy it. It was crowded and the water really wasn't great - the bottom was rocky and there was a lot of seaweed. The beach and water were much nicer once you left the cruise port area. You don't have to get a lounge chair at Jack's; when we were there a lot of people just used the deck by the bar to stow their belongings when they went for a swim. And a lot of people never left the bar.:p

Jack's is great. We were there last month on the Freedom. There was not much snorkelling because it is mostly powdery sand a long way out. We had a couple of drinks and appreciated that they do not make blender drinks due to the annoying noise. We used the free wifi. We had a woman offer to braid my daughter's hair and got a deal for $20 for half her head. The lowest price I have paid anywhere in the Caribbean. Great inexpensive day with a free beautiful beach right at the cruise pier.

Hello,

I was a first timer to Grand Turk last month. Went to Jack's Shack. It was quiet & relaxing until.....

****THE DOG CAME OUT*****

Tober I think is the dogs name. He was fun to watch chase after a tennis ball.. he didn't stop. However, he was naughty. He would come on your towels & shake off his excess water from swimming to find the ball. He will get sand all over you food & tip over your cocktails. Just beware! I saw him jump on people's chairs too. He was a pain in the you know what. LOL

The 2nd dog wasn't a bother.. it's a white poodle looking dog. He just dug holes.. so he will kick dirt up on you if he is close by...

We stayed there about an hour or so & then headed back to Margaritaville.. I really didn't want to go there but....

*****IT WAS FABULOUS****

Free beach chairs, pool chairs, swimup bar, band, dancing! It was really fun & no dogs bothing us! I'm ashamed to say that my next visit in Jan 2013 I'm heading straight to Margaritaville... I'm hooked. I'm gonna byob there though. It should be fairly easy to do! I'll still order a few drinks as well....

Definetly check out Jack's Shack.. form your own opinions... everyone has different views!!

Happy Sailing,

Sue

Archived