First time on Oceania

Trudyrand

I am on the Baltic July 22, 2012 Marina cruise and am going solo (hubby doesn't want to go). We are regular cruisers on Regent and I'm wondering if O is the equivalent since they have same owners. Are they equal except for having to pay for booze on O? Thanks.

Far better food, far better service, far better fares on Oceania. More pleasing cabins/bathrooms/walkin closets on Regent.

Based on multiple Regent cruises in the past two years vs Oceania Nautica in Feb.

Haven't cruised Regent (but were on Marina in Feb.), so can't really answer your question. However, a couple comments/tips: Look up when you can first make reservations for the specialty restaurants, and do it then or soon after if you're picky about what time you want to dine and whether you dine with others or private. If you wait until you're on board, you may end up eating at 8:30 - not bad for some people, but not my thing....

Don't discount dining on the Terrace - for the most part, same food as in the other venues, and some food prepared for you while you wait.

Enjoy the Baltic - we're on Baltic Treasures August 11, so would love to hear your feedback on the ports once you get back. (Maybe you can post something in the "Ports" section if not here?) I am loving the smaller places we're going - Ronne in particular. Looks wonderful.

About the only things I didn't like about Marina (as opposed to the smaller O. ships) are that there are more people (but still a comfy size) and it's harder to go "up top and outside" to take pictures, as "up top and outside" is now way up top, unless I missed something. (In Guatemala, I wanted to take pictures of a marimba band, dancers and our tour guide as they entertained us before sailing away, but they seemed SO far away.....

Hi Trudy,

Husband and I cruised the Baltic on Regatta Sep '09 and loved every moment of it. I too cannot comment on Regent, but hope to some day. As for traveling as a single - read the "Currents" daily as I remember a cocktail gathering being posted for singles to meet. You may join a table in the Grand for dinner and yes The Terrace for dinner buffet is sometimes very easy to strike up a conversation with a duo sitting close by. Do book the specialty restaurants pre-cruise on the website. I went to afternoon tea as a single and joined another woman for the best conversation...she was a college professor and delightful. We also joined her in a taxi to Brugges. By the way, I booked DENRUS tours for our 3-days in St. Pete's and tour was absolutely wonderful. There were 26 of us from our cruise who had done so...it was a great group. On the Baltic cruise every night seemed to have a sail away party in Horizons. Some of the ports you can do on your own. The cruise docked just a short walk to the Little Mermaid for instance. Gdansk we took a quick taxi to the Memorial with another couple and then walked into old town. You will enjoy all the amber jewelry shops. Saw other cruisers on walking tours, but you can do on your own as well as Talinn and Helsinki. Stockholm is a wonderful walking city and needs 3-days. We also went into Berlin by DENRUS tours for the day. We beat the buses back that night. Enjoy your trip (your husband doesn't know what he is missing)...wish I could do it again. We did not have Ronne, Visby nor Riga ports.

roothy123, my husband and I met you on the O' carib cruise some years ago. You were wearing a big camera and we were the Nikon couple.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you that your Baltic cruise is a photographer's dream. When you get to Tallinn try to get up on one of the higher streets and shoot down into town. Beautiful! The Sweater Wall where locals are selling their handicrafts which also made for some great pictures. You will also love the ruins of the Visby churches.

We did not go into Berlin but trained to Rostock and took a cruise back to Warnemunde. That was very cool. Lots of natives on the ship going to the beach at Warnemunde.

All of the places you are going to visit are wonderful and try to see the Rocks Church in Helsinki. We took the tram around town and got off at that stop and walked back to the ship.

Have fun shooting!

We did Baltic Treasures on Regatta in July 2010. Loved the itinerary except Ronne, which we felt was a waste of time. We admittedly had a bad weather day, but there wasn't much to see or do there. Visby was a delight and a photographers dream -- Roses and Ruins. We went to Roll Call and booked a two day tour with 3 other couples for St. Petersburg. So many wonderful things to see there and more pictures than anyone wants to see, but we take them for our memories. We found another group of 12 on Roll Call for Gdansk. We went to Stuttgart concentration camp, which was an incredible experience. Then spent some time walking around Gdansk before seeing the Solidarity Monument on our way back to the ship. We didn't go to Berlin from Warnemunde, but took a train to Schwerin and saw the beautiful castle there. Not a great interior, but the exterior and gardens were stunning and we have great photos. A few are framed and hanging in my den. Stockhom, Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn, Copenhagen -- all were wonderful. We went two days early to Stockholm and stayed 2 nights longer in Copenhagen. Both were expensive cities, but so much to see.

We did Baltic Treasures on Regatta in July 2010. Loved the itinerary except Ronne, which we felt was a waste of time. We admittedly had a bad weather day, but there wasn't much to see or do there. Visby was a delight and a photographers dream -- Roses and Ruins. We went to Roll Call and booked a two day tour with 3 other couples for St. Petersburg. So many wonderful things to see there and more pictures than anyone wants to see, but we take them for our memories. We found another group of 12 on Roll Call for Gdansk. We went to Stuttgart concentration camp, which was an incredible experience. Then spent some time walking around Gdansk before seeing the Solidarity Monument on our way back to the ship. We didn't go to Berlin from Warnemunde, but took a train to Schwerin and saw the beautiful castle there. Not a great interior, but the exterior and gardens were stunning and we have great photos. A few are framed and hanging in my den. Stockhom, Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn, Copenhagen -- all were wonderful. We went two days early to Stockholm and stayed 2 nights longer in Copenhagen. Both were expensive cities, but so much to see.

It's STUTTHOF .

Archived