Getting the most in Rome (1 day) After Moms Knee Surgery

shawn&angie

Hello Everyone! We are taking out first NCL cruise in September on the Epic. We were looking at some of the shore excursions and want to get the most while in Rome. All of them state lots of walking which is typically fine for us. Does anyone know if they have wheelchairs or if it's really all that bad as far as a strenuous walking excursion?? Mon will be 62 and will have had knee surgery two to three months prior to our European Cruise & may be ok to walk but wanted to check in with our friends on CC for any knowledge or advice! Thanks!!!

Shawn

If you are looking for specific feedback on an NCL excursion, you'll probably get your answers faster on the NCL board.

I often travel with partially disabled family members and would never count on a cruise line to have any assitance devices we might need. We have a couple of travel wheelchairs and a travel mobility scooter that we bring, as needed.

I would suggest looking into a private tour company which will be able to get a max 8 seater vehicle close to the sites and so minimise walking.

we did this with my husband who has had 2 hip replacements and had no difficulty recruiting other able bodied tour mates via our roll call.

Rome will be very hot and the attraction of being able to retreat to an airconditioned vehicle will be a godsend

We used RomeinLimo for tours last year. They use vans (up to 8 people) so smaller than tour bus and parked us close to everything we wanted to see. We didn't go into the Colisseum but parked outside for pictures same with the Forum. Only places with significant walking for us were at the Catacombs (optional that we specifically asked for) and the Vatican museums/Sistine Chapel and St Peter's. These are private tours that in our experience allow us to see more at a lower price than the ship excursions. If interested you could ask RomeinLimo if they have wheelchairs available and since it's a private tour you can tailor to fit your needs. We posted on our roll call and got others to join us so the overall cost was less per person. The Vatican has chairs for free but you need to reserve them in advance.

Haven't kept up with the boards but there used to be alot of posts regarding RomeinLimo so a search might get you more info.

This has been so helpful! A private tour will be the perfect thing! We typically do private tours but thought since we were on a cruise and docking at Civitavichia, a "cruise sponcered" tour would ensure we would be back to the ship before it sets sail (docked 7am - 7pm). I was also thinking (and not sure why) that larger tours may have special access to avoid waiting in long lines at some of the more popular sites. Thanks Again any highly recommended private tour companies or advice, we would sure love to hear about!

I was also thinking (and not sure why) that larger tours may have special access to avoid waiting in long lines at some of the more popular sites.
Regardless of what they may tell you, no one has special access at the Vatican Museums or St. Peter's (unless, of course, you have a Cardinal in your group) nor at the Colosseum, the only places where you would typically run into a line. Pre-reserving tickets for the Vatican directly from them avoids the line there, while buying your tickets for the Colosseum at the Forum or Palatine ticket offices avoids the line there.

DH has bad knees and our last trip to Rome was 6 months after his knee replacement surgery, so I can relate to your questions.

Have you been to Europe before? If so, you'll know it is not at all ADA compliant like the US is. The cobblestones can be very uneven. There seem to be steps everywhere and they may or may not have usable railings.

How strenuous it is depends on what you choose to do.

I recommend bringing your own wheelchair because you may need it throughout your cruise.

While a private tour is a better idea than a ships tour......they can still only get you so close to some sites. Many areas are pedestrian only - like Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navonna etc....

Another idea is a golf cart tour. Here is a link .....

http://www.golf-cart-tour-rome.com/index.htm

If you google (search) for "golf cart tour Rome" lots of links will pop up.

There are reviews also. To me, walking Rome is one of the most delightful things to do.....unless you have mobility issues as your Mom will. This is the next best thing.

So maybe use the ships bus into town, then do this cart tour and the bus back.

Seems like a good alternative to me :D

Archived