Booking Shore Excursions Online

My concern about pre-booking trips is that, should you have to cancel the cruise, would you get that money back? When we had to cancel a cruise two years ago, I'm sure it said in the insurance information that the insurance company would only reimburse the cost of the cruise and not pre-paid trips and tips. Does anyone know if this is true? And if this is the case would Thomson then reimburse you?

Well they let us cancel an excursion which we'd pre-booked on-line when we were on board. We went to the Showcase and I didn't think it was the right excursion for us after listening to the presentation. We went straight down to Destination Services - and they cancelled no problem at all - and it was for the next day too. We had a letter of confirmation that we'd cancelled but the credit wasn't put onto our on-board account, it came back into my Debit Card from HQ. It only took a day or two after we came back.

I can't see that a cancellation in the circumstances you describe would be any different really. You are allowed to cancel any trip up to 24 hours before it goes so it would be very harsh if they applied different conditions if you'd booked on-line then had to cancel because of illness.

I would say phone them and ask the question - but then we all know that we get varying tales according to who we speak to! Perhaps an email to the shore excursions team may be an idea. If you get a response you can print it out and keep it as evidence!!

cruiseexcursions@thomson.co.uk

Hi Kruzseeka. Good idea. I will do that :)

BTW, it looks as if the Manchester outbound flights were on time today :)

So Jan should be on her way back by now.

Just watching another Titanic programme. Quite good though as it is actors reading testimonies from actual people that were on it.

Hi Kruzseeka. Good idea. I will do that :)

BTW, it looks as if the Manchester outbound flights were on time today :)

So Jan should be on her way back by now.

Just watching another Titanic programme. Quite good though as it is actors reading testimonies from actual people that were on it.

Hope she's had a great time - am waiting to hear all about it! They'll be setting off for the Transatlantic 21 day trip now - and then to the Med. and another season! Doesn't seem 5 minutes since Dream set off for the Caribbean in December.

Hasn't there been a lot of coverage of the Titanic? Very interesting and emotional some of it but I seem to have heard the same thing so many times this last week presented in different ways. We've had a lot of local coverage because of the Southampton link - but then again over 500 people from the city were lost which was about a third of the total I think but as you say it's the individual stories which are most moving. A new Museum has been opened in which they had a street map from the time and in the streets of terraced houses they put a black spot on each house where someone had been lost. What an impact - so many houses perhaps a dozen in each street - what a terrible blow to a community!

Also watched the programme of video records from passengers on the Concordia. What a nightmare and how terrifying that must have been too. Just a blessing that they were so near to land and the depth of water was such that the ship didn't completely sink or it would have been so much worse. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Both Manchester flights have landed:)

I think we are in the same TV area as you. We have 10 minutes of Oxford news and the rest from Southampton, so we have seen the Titanic reports

I saw the map with black dots - terrible. Apparently there was someone who looked after the welfare of the widows and children. She was known as the woman on the bicycle and she went round helping people who needed her. Lots of money was raised and put in a trust fund, which was still paying out, over 40 years later.

I saw the Costa Concordia programme too. Some similarities, I thought. No lifeboat drill, the crew didn't have any plan of operation, no real leadership from the bridge etc.

I am trying to book excursions on line for our Baltic cruise on Spirit on 14th August and whist there are some available the 2 days in St Petersburgh have disappeared.:confused:

These are the 2 days I want to book and find it a bit frustrating not to be able to do it, expecially when they were on there previously (when you couldn't book them - LOL).

Janet

I am trying to book excursions on line for our Baltic cruise on Spirit on 14th August and whist there are some available the 2 days in St Petersburgh have disappeared.:confused:

These are the 2 days I want to book and find it a bit frustrating not to be able to do it, expecially when they were on there previously (when you couldn't book them - LOL).

Janet

Try emailing that contact I put in Linda's post (to the excursions team). I had a problem when I tried to book regarding a security alert when I attempted to pay. They were very good getting back to me. It may be worth a try.

cruiseexcursions@thomson.co.uk

At least if they can reassure you that the St P trips will reappear then it will put your mind at rest. Perhaps if you say you want to book with them but if the trips aren't shown you may look at private tour companies it may prompt them to get a move on. But worst case scenario if they haven't been availble on-line then everyone will be in the same boat (!) and have to book once on board. Good luck Janet - hope you get as response. :)

We are on the Spirit sailing 12th September 12 from Harwich. I am planning to book one of the Coppenhagen but I am hoping to try and get some interest from fellow passengers to join us in a 2 day tour of St Petersburg. The advantage of the private tour is smaller groups and early entrance into the Hermitage (less busy) but the tours are dearer ! Unsure as to whether to wait until the first baltic cruise returns and reviews trips etc - but would be very dissappointed if we were unable to get a place on the trips ( we are intrested in both of the long days as wish to see as much as possible) Any advice from people who have taken cruise tours of St Peters. in the past - do you get lost in a larger group - or was it fine.

We are on the Spirit sailing 12th September 12 from Harwich. I am planning to book one of the Coppenhagen but I am hoping to try and get some interest from fellow passengers to join us in a 2 day tour of St Petersburg. The advantage of the private tour is smaller groups and early entrance into the Hermitage (less busy) but the tours are dearer ! Unsure as to whether to wait until the first baltic cruise returns and reviews trips etc - but would be very dissappointed if we were unable to get a place on the trips ( we are intrested in both of the long days as wish to see as much as possible) Any advice from people who have taken cruise tours of St Peters. in the past - do you get lost in a larger group - or was it fine.

We've done St P three times - each one with Thomson and only doing their trips so can't say how much better/personal a private group would be. But I can say that we've loved our visits, got a great deal out of each excursion - and no disappointments. We've done full days and two in one day (2X half-days) which is a bit of a rush getting something to eat and off again - but doable. Full days would be my preference. We've also got off in the evenings on one of the excursions too - it's too far to go and not make the most of it imo - but the costs do mount up. Still St P priceless!

Just booked our excursions on-line. Weren't going to, going to wait until we get onboard, but its something less to think about then. Used debit card though, 2.5% charge for a credit card went against the grain.

Oh by the way, our trip is 25th April, so not long to go now (thankfully).

Sue

Hi, we are on the spirit on the 25th April and I went on the website to book tours but met with the 2½% surcharge for using the credit card. I will wait until I'm on-board as it will go on my bill which will not incur this surcharge.

I would think that 2.5% is applicable onboard too.

Sue

Your on board account which includes excursions is subject to 2.5% if you pay by credit card (although there appears to be a difference between ships - Dream wasn't charging for CC up to the end of March). There is no charge if you use Debit Cards either on-line or onboard so you can avoid this surcharge if you wish to use a Debit card - or alternatively pay in cash on board.

I know it sounds horrid, as some people can't use a debit card, but they had better charge 2.5% extra for trips that are booked on board with a credit card, as we for one, paid by debit card instead of credit card because of the extra 2.5% on-line

Hi Sue,

Just off to book our trips by DC.

I have bumped up the thread regarding the charges as it had dropped off almost to the third page. Hopefully it will help others who are still in a quandary about what is going on.

Not long now. Freezing cold and wet here. - how about you?

Jan:):D

Hi Jan

Same here. Just googled it and the weather in Paphos is 18/20C. Its going to be 24C on Wednesday! I know we won't have much time there, but at least it is better than here!

Oh, just to tell you that I have just picked up our post from our door mat, and our coach tickets have come! Does it say on your original paperwork from them anything about baggage allowance?

Sue

Hi Sue

I got distracted after my last post. Haven't booked excursions yet and at the moment the post has not arrived. They changed their route last week and it's due round about now. Wish they'd hurry up.

I read the earlier paperwork I have and there is nothing about weight. I would think they will be restrictive so if you are thinking about bringing heavy stuff back it might be worth picking up a cheapy bag towards the end of the holiday, i.e. Gibraltar, Vigo or even Cherbourg. I took a copy of someone's post re Cherbourg a few weeks ago and there appear to be shops at the ferry terminal as well as Eurodif department store in town.

Reason for distraction - I found the webcam for the Osprey at Dunkeld and she is sitting on two lovely big eggs. She just happened to stand up after I had done my last post and the camera obligingly zoomed right in on them. CC forum - forget it. Osprey watching lovely.

Off to pub for lunch and diet coke. - Thursday routine - AI wasted on me.

Hi Sue

Just walking out the door as post arrived. Tickets here. On top of second page in bold black letters - "Max baggage allowance 20kg per person". I know that passengers who will be doing the cruises from Newcastle are only permitted 20kg but as many bags as they want.

Jan:)

Hi Sue

I read the earlier paperwork I have and there is nothing about weight. I would think they will be restrictive so if you are thinking about bringing heavy stuff back it might be worth picking up a cheapy bag towards the end of the holiday, i.e. Gibraltar, Vigo or even Cherbourg. I took a copy of someone's post re Cherbourg a few weeks ago and there appear to be shops at the ferry terminal as well as Eurodif department store in town.

Off to pub for lunch and diet coke. - Thursday routine - AI wasted on me.

HiJan, In the brochure in the strap across the bottom of the page with the Leger coach times it does actually say for H&S reasons (drivers lifting) that no item should weigh more than 20Kg - which is in fact your flight allowance but of course you won't need to worry about that on the way back! But if you've bought some heavy items on your idea of an extra bag is a good one. ;)

Once more mixed messages from Thomson. When we booked our extra luggage last week, I asked the chap what the weight allowance was for single items and he told me 23kg. I told him I thought this was changing on May 1st and he categorically denied this. Its not important to us as we are taking an extra bag anyway but for other people not using this forum they won't know until they get their tickets in. Am now wondering whether what he said about our pre booked seats is nonsense as well. Thomson admin and management in particular need to get their act together.

Once more mixed messages from Thomson. When we booked our extra luggage last week, I asked the chap what the weight allowance was for single items and he told me 23kg. I told him I thought this was changing on May 1st and he categorically denied this. Its not important to us as we are taking an extra bag anyway but for other people not using this forum they won't know until they get their tickets in. Am now wondering whether what he said about our pre booked seats is nonsense as well. Thomson admin and management in particular need to get their act together.

As ever - confusion! The flight hold baggage allowance (free) is 20Kg as of 01.05.12 BUT the maximum weight per case is 23Kg (of course you have to buy xs baggage for the extra 3Kg - you pay for 5Kg actually but you can split it between two cases!!). I bet he was mixing up the two - if in fact he understands the difference!

Archived