Dancing Waiters, Remember when?

e150club

Don't get me wrong here .. I LOVE CRUISING!!!! ALWAYS go with a positive attitude and NEVER let the small stuff get to me. When someone asks me if I could change one thing about going on a cruise, I respond with the same answer. That the main dining room get rid of the waiter dancing. I look at it as a fine dining experience and would much rather have nice piano/soothing dinner music playing in the background instead of the 'circus' of waiter dancers and all the lights flashing. I think they should reserve those actions for the Lido Deck and not in the Main Dining Rooms .... but this is just my opinion. And no, it does NOT keep me out of the dining room .. again .. I don't sweat the little stuff .. just an opinipn.

So what is it these days:confused:

Its still cruising... just different... :) I really enjoyed the dining experience in the MDR... wasn't just dining... it was an event... It didn't feel like you were going to a neighborhood restaurant... it just felt ... special..... the food, taste and presentaton was outstanding, always something to look forward to.. loved trying the new foods, well... new to me... and the waiters ... well... let's just say it seemed to me that they enjoyed making the customers happy.. and now... it is just so much harder for them to get the job done as they are taking care of more tables... it was so nice when the waiters had a little time to enjoy talking with you... if only for a few moments about their home countries... There are many waiters that I remember well, and also remember me when I saw them on a later cruise... now.. well, they work hard but it is just different... on my last 7 or so cruises... I don't really remember any of them... But I remember Roy, and Ivan and there was one who we just could not say his name, so he just said call me "chuck" so we did and he laughed and laughed every time... then there was the one who hugged us all when we left.. we had developed a very good relationship with him... these were the days when they changed out your silverware and scraped off the crumbs... no I am not prissy... but it was those little things and the attentiveness that made you feel special... and they felt special too...

I miss the rum swizzle parties welcoming you aboard, and it also seems as though the cabins are not kept up as well as they used to be...

And then there is that big screen... yes many enjoy it... but for me, it takes away from that being out to sea feeling.... I remember the first time we were docked beside a princess ship with movies by the sea.... and I remember thinking... I am so glad that this line doesnt do that!

Whether or not people will admit it, it has changed quite a bit... and I miss it.....

I look at it as a fine dining experience
The MDR is no more a "fine dining experience" anymore than going to Golden Corral. Those days are long gone.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The waiters treated you like royalty... crumbs off the table...nice conversations. My last cruise in Feb; we didn't get some of the appetizers we ordered and one night my mother didn't get her entree! The waiters had so many tables and were so busy....dinner wasn't an event. It was an ordeal. Sorry to say...

Its still cruising... just different... :) I really enjoyed the dining experience in the MDR... wasn't just dining... it was an event... It didn't feel like you were going to a neighborhood restaurant... it just felt ... special..... the food, taste and presentaton was outstanding, always something to look forward to.. loved trying the new foods, well... new to me... and the waiters ... well... let's just say it seemed to me that they enjoyed making the customers happy.. and now... it is just so much harder for them to get the job done as they are taking care of more tables... it was so nice when the waiters had a little time to enjoy talking with you... if only for a few moments about their home countries... There are many waiters that I remember well, and also remember me when I saw them on a later cruise... now.. well, they work hard but it is just different... on my last 7 or so cruises... I don't really remember any of them... But I remember Roy, and Ivan and there was one who we just could not say his name, so he just said call me "chuck" so we did and he laughed and laughed every time... then there was the one who hugged us all when we left.. we had developed a very good relationship with him... these were the days when they changed out your silverware and scraped off the crumbs... no I am not prissy... but it was those little things and the attentiveness that made you feel special... and they felt special too...

I miss the rum swizzle parties welcoming you aboard, and it also seems as though the cabins are not kept up as well as they used to be...

And then there is that big screen... yes many enjoy it... but for me, it takes away from that being out to sea feeling.... I remember the first time we were docked beside a princess ship with movies by the sea.... and I remember thinking... I am so glad that this line doesnt do that!

Whether or not people will admit it, it has changed quite a bit... and I miss it.....

ALL true!

I also miss that you used to "disconnect" from the headaches of life when cruising. Now - with all of the technology - too often life just follows us on to the ship! :o

Yeah, I know what you mean. The waiters treated you like royalty... crumbs off the table...nice conversations. My last cruise in Feb; we didn't get some of the appetizers we ordered and one night my mother didn't get her entree! The waiters had so many tables and were so busy....dinner wasn't an event. It was an ordeal. Sorry to say...

just lucky i guess!! but, all 10 carnival cruises we have been on, never had these things happen to us.:)

Don't get me wrong here .. I LOVE CRUISING!!!! ALWAYS go with a positive attitude and NEVER let the small stuff get to me. When someone asks me if I could change one thing about going on a cruise, I respond with the same answer. That the main dining room get rid of the waiter dancing. I look at it as a fine dining experience and would much rather have nice piano/soothing dinner music playing in the background instead of the 'circus' of waiter dancers and all the lights flashing. I think they should reserve those actions for the Lido Deck and not in the Main Dining Rooms .... but this is just my opinion. And no, it does NOT keep me out of the dining room .. again .. I don't sweat the little stuff .. just an opinipn.

Just so you know, the waiter thing and entertainment in the dining room in general is ONLY A CARNIVAL thing with the exception of Disney. On my first Carnival cruise in 2010 I kept looking around wondering why on earth some guy was singing, talking/announcing stuff and what was up with the dancing waiters?! I didn't mind it but it is definitely not the cruise norm. :D

It was a parade from the galley around the dinning room for dessert time. Some of the cakes had sparklers on them and many baked Alaska cakes. That made more sense then what they do now.

I remember the waiters singing a caribbean tune called "Yellow Bird". The lights were dimmed and the flaming Baked Alaska illuminated the dining room.This was on the old carnival madri gras.

I actually enjoy the baked Alaska they serve now. I had the real kind on one cruise, and it was only a little better, but that's just me. My #1 fear is fire (I live in Oklahoma), so I would be freaked out if they came out with anything on fire in the dining room. And I also enjoy the waiters singing and dancing. I get up and join them. It only adds to our experience. I like that Carnival caters to a more blue collar or no-collar (like me) crowd.

Archived