Passports

bennetts

Happy Easter Everyone

Our passports are due to be renewed in August of this year, we are booked to go to alaska June 25th /2012 returning to Vancouver July 6th . Will we have problems sailing with our passports 1 and 1/2 months from expiry or should we renew them early.

Thanks Sherry

This is an article that I had read when my husband and I first started looking at doing more traveling. It was very interesting and suggest it be required reading for all travelers.

I am not sure what the laws are in Canada - but it would be something that I definately would check out.

Hope your cruise is a wonderful one. :)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13342877/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/when-your-valid-passport-isnt-really-valid/

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Seriously ... why would you even consider waiting a few months??

Depending on where else you travel on this cruise you may be crossing into the US and back into Canada by land, so you would need to meet the border requirements of both countries.

Don't rely on the advice of random strangers on a travel forum, or you may find yourself standing at the pier as the boat sails away. Contact your gov't agency for accurate and timely information! Assuming you are a citizen of Canada, start with the Canadian Border Crossing web site.

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

Happy Easter Everyone

Our passports are due to be renewed in August of this year, we are booked to go to alaska June 25th /2012 returning to Vancouver July 6th . Will we have problems sailing with our passports 1 and 1/2 months from expiry or should we renew them early.

Thanks Sherry

I don't think you should have a problem at all. Assuming you are an American, you do not even need a passport to cross into Canada. They require proof of citizenship (they use a birth certificate as an example) and a photo ID. You can view the entry requirements from the Canadian Border Services Agency:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html

Looking at the US State Department's web page on crossing into Canada, they say you can even used an expired passport as your proof of citizenship (though personally, it makes me cringe to cross a foreign border without a valid passport). A few paragraphs later, they tell you that you need a passport to cross back into the states:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements

Crossing back into the US is where you will need a passport. Given that you are crossing back into the country where the passport was issued, I highly doubt that US customs would care about the fact your passport expires in 90 days.

This is a good question though. Not all countries will allow you to cross the border with only 1.5 months left on your passport.

Canadians travelling to the US just need a valid passport - no requirement for an extra days. I have travelled on a passport expiring about a month after the end of my trip. Had no issues.

Canadian reference

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/planification/usa.aspx?lang=eng

Validity of Canadian passport

Although many countries require that a passport be valid at least six months beyond the duration of your stay, American authorities currently state that as a Canadian: "Your passport only needs to be valid for the duration of your planned trip to the U.S."

These entry requirements are determined by the authorities of the United States and are subject to change at any time. You may check with the Embassy of the United States of America and its consulates for up-to-date information.

US Reference

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1192/~/canadian--citizens%2Fresidents%2Flanded-immigrants-entering-the-u.s.

What documentation, identification, and paperwork does a Canadian citizen need to travel to the U.S.?

Travel by Air: All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or an Air NEXUS card when departing from a designated Canadian airport.

Canadian Citizens' passports are NOT required to be valid for six months past their intended date of departure. Their passports must only be valid up until the date of their intended departure.

Do research yourself and double check for yourself as rules do change. Being that the passport cost $87 plus photo fees, time etc and they are only valid for 5 years, I have always tried to renew as close to expiry time as possible taking into consideration my plans that require a passport.

I am booked on HAL's 14 day round trip Seattle cruise leaving on June 15th. I was faced with the same passport question as my passport expires in Sept. I talked to my TA (who I really trust) and she told me it would not be a problem. I was going to renew it early, but financially it will be easier after I return. Also, I do not have any trips planned in the near future. Many countrys demand that the passport be good for at least 6 months after the visit but, for US citizens, Canada is not one of those.

I have done in recent times a Princess b/b cruise to Alaska with only days left on my Canadian passport and there was no issue at all. In fact I had my renewal application prepared and mailed it off the day we returned to Vancouver.

They are now requiring passports to go from Alaska into Canada. You will not be allowed to cross at the border if all you have is an ID> They started this, I guess, last year. For frequent travelers like Alaskans who cross the border regularly, you can have a wallet ID (at extra cost) to show.....But you will NOT be allowed in Canada without a passport these days.....

After reading all the information , I felt our existing passports should be fine , but could not stand the uncertainty in case some over zealous person chose to challenge them. I broke down and we renewed our passports today 4 months early. Just too much money to worry about it. Thx Sherry

They are now requiring passports to go from Alaska into Canada. You will not be allowed to cross at the border if all you have is an ID> They started this, I guess, last year. For frequent travelers like Alaskans who cross the border regularly, you can have a wallet ID (at extra cost) to show.....But you will NOT be allowed in Canada without a passport these days.....

Canada hasn't changed a thing, the US has. Canada has always (well at least for 20+ years) required a US citizen to have:

1. Proof of citizenship (such as a state issued birth certificate)
  2. Govt issued photo ID (such as a drivers license)
  3. Correct paperwork to return to the USA

The USA now requires US citizens to have a passport (or other WHTI document) to re-enter the USA, hence Canada won't let you into Canada without the correct paperwork (a passport/WHTI doc) to go home.

This isn't Canada's doing, it is the United States placing additional restrictions on its own citizens.

Archived