I'm back!

I'manewbie

When I last left you, I was sitting in the airport in Miami waiting for my connecting flight to Belize. I'm here to report that I made it to the Star but it was a bit of a bumpy journey to get there (but don't worry, all ends well) My plane touched down in Belize and I went through the first customs check, the woman asked for my passport and YES I had it! She asked how long i would be staying, and tsked, tsked at my missing the boat story. I next went to baggage claim and patiently waited for my suitcase - it was the last suitcase to be placed on the belt.Whatever, I'm now one step closer to my goal of getting to the Star. I went to the next customs check and once again showed my passport. I took a taxi to the tourist village and with a great deal of confusion I made it to customs where I showed my passport and was waved through. I asked a tourist for directions to the NCL tender and saw that one was just docking - great - I'll be onboard in no time! There was an NCL tent with two members of the staff.

At this point I think it is important to mention that my favorite aspect of cruising is that indescriable feeling you have when you get to the terminal and realize that your worries are over - you are going on vacation and are in good hands. I had it for the briefest of moments in Tampa - going up the escalator - only to have it disappear a few minutes later when we realized I didn't have my passport. I put my disappointment behind me though and thought that the indescribable feeling was just delayed not denied. Here comes the bumpy part...

The woman at the NCL tent asked to see my passport - I showed it - and she consulted the list of expected passengers. Guess what? Even though I was assured in Tampa that I would be on the list - I was not. How big of a problem could this be - seriously - how many bedraggled, middle aged women, hauling a big ass suitcase with an NCL luggage sticker, with a photo ID that matches a name of one of the passengers - show up in the middle of Central America and demand to go on board, without being a legit passenger? Is this really a security problem? Anyway, the woman called the NCL security man over and he asked to see my passport. He made a call on his walkie talkie and said to have a seat. And there I sat, me and my big ass suitcase. The tender that had just docked when I got there, left with a full load of happy passengers. I asked the security guard what the hold up was and he told me in a snotty tone that if I wanted to complain, I should do it on the ship. Sure, if I ever get to go on the ship - I will surely tell them what I think. I finally got the clearance to go on the tender and dragged the big ass suitcase onto the tender. We docked at the ship and I hauled the big ass suitcase off the tender and up a flight of stairs - 8 or 9 steps - no offers of help. Contrast that to arriving in Tampa - my suitcase was whisked away faster than I could sneeze. I entered the ship and was asked to show my passport and told to "stand over there". I dragged the big ass suitcase over to a corner and waited. A gentleman from the concierge desk showed up and said "follow me". "Where are we going", I asked. No reply. Maybe he didn't hear me. "Where are we going?" I asked again. At this point I was thinking there was a naughty room for late arriving passengers and I was headed straight for it. After the second question he responded that we were going to Guest Services. That made me feel a bit better - that and the fact that by that point he was dragging the big ass suitcase. We arrived at Guest Services and a gentleman behind the counter asked to see ...you got it ...my passport. At this point Shennie showed up - I remembered her from the terminal in Tampa. She said they had no idea I was arriving that day. "How can that be?" We made the plane reservation on the help desk laptop. We were told that I would be on the expected list. Shennie put the blame squarely on my family who apparently were supposed to notify NCL that I would be arriving and did not do their duty. Why my family would feel a need to do this when they heard the same thing that I heard in Tampa - "you will be on the expected list and your key card will be waiting for you there". (Note - hubby went to guest services that morning before leaving for cave tubing and asked if there was anything special he needed to do since his wife was arriving that day - there answer was no.) At this point, partly due to having been up since 3:30am to get to the airport in Tampa by 4:30am, partly due to hunger, partly due to having to go to the restroom, and a whole lot due to the fact that I was treated as less of a passenger than anyone else, I let Shennie know what I thought of the treatment I had received. To her credit and to her professionalism, she took my criticism seriously. Unfortunately, after all of that the gentleman behind the desk at guest services than asked "do you need help with your bag"? Oh for crying out loud man have you not heard a word I just said?" Of course I need help with my bag - I shouldn't have to haul it while I wander around a ship I'm unfamiliar with, looking for my room." I believe that every passenger who embarks, whenever they embark, should be treated in a hospitable manner - it is after all a hospitality industry. NCL is selling a fantasy - come on board - the ship is yours and we are here to serve you. Their success rides on their ability to sell you the fantasy. My initial experience in Belize made it difficult for me to believe in the fantasy, but I was very happy to be with my family again and after a trip to the restroom and a bite to eat I felt much better. My husband and sons hugged me so hard I was squozen (that's our family word for squeezed too hard) I was ready to put the past behind me and get on with the vacation. That's when it started. A few hours after I got to my cabin, I had a knock on the door - a bottle of wine and a beautiful plate of chocolate covered strawberries arrived. A classy gift from classy Shennie. The next day, I received a call from Shennie, I thanked her for the gift and she wanted to know if all was well. She mentioned that the concierge would be calling me to offer me something. Later the assistant concierge called and offered my family and I breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. On Friday, a tray of chocolate truffles arrived courtesy of Monica.On Friday we had a phone message that we were invited to take a bridge tour on Saturday - this was welcome news - I missed the meet and greet and my family didn't know about it - so we were very happy to have the invite. And lastly, on Friday night we were invited to dine at the specialty restaurant of our choice on Saturday night. Oops, after I wrote this I received yet another gift - a tray of canapes was delivered to the room courtesy of the officers.

All in all, it's been quite a trip. I've learned a lot about myself. I can stay pretty strong when I need to and I can articulate my feelings when the situation warrants. At age 54, I'm still learning and evolving and that's a good thing. I think NCL learned something on this trip too. Shennie said she spoke to the hotel director about my situation and they were examining their procedures and trying to figure out how I fell through the cracks. I believe that is all you can ask for - at least perhaps the next late arriving passenger will get the warm greeting they deserve. One suggestion I would have is to have one of the many, smiling hospitable employees out to greet the late arriving passengers (although I was not on the list, there were 4 or 5 names on it). Security men do not make a great welcome squad - that guy acted like he did not want to be bothered with me at all - so either train him to be polite or find someone who will do the job.

On our last port day - in Cozumel - the staff of the Star lined the gangway to greet the passengers back to the ship. There was music and laughter and a row of chefs wearing their tall hats spelling out W E C A N ' T S A I L W / O Y O U. I asked one of the staff if this happens every cruise and she said "No Madam, this is the first time". I hope it won't be the last - it was a great way for NCL to show their appreciation and the staff seemed to be having a blast too.

I will not let my unexpected bump in the road stop me from traveling the world or stop me from cruising. I will cruise again and I will have no hesitation about choosing NCL in the future. After my first hour in Belize, every single employee was hospitable and gracious. The ship was in great shape. My family and I enjoyed the food (even the buffet) and really liked the entertainment - especially Angels - it was amazing!

That concludes the meta portion of my review...I'm writing from a hotel room in SC where we've stopped for the night. I'll try to update what we did in port after we get dinner.

Welcome home! WHAT a journey you had - you may have learned a lot about yourself, but you were put to the test and persevered. AND had a great time.

I'd be pissy too after hauling the big ass suitcase too. You just wanted to be there already.

I'm glad you were able to salvage the rest of the trip.

We were all awaiting your return!!!

Thanks for the welcome back! I guess because I embarked on the 4th, my key card said it expired on the 11th. I half jokingly mentioned to my hubby that i would fly home from Belize on the 11th - don't know how the new occupants of my cabin would feel about it :rolleyes:.

So sorry you had to go through all of that but I am so glad that you wound up having a great time with your family. This is definetly a vacation that you will never forget and I am sure you will always be checking for passports. That has always been my biggest fear. On the way to the ship I must check 10 times to be sure I have everything. Glad your neighbor was there for you.

Glad that everything ultimately worked out. With Sean on the ship (the HD) I can guarantee that the next passenger this happens to will fair better. Although it does sound like they did a good job making thing up!

I have noticed security is pretty serious i've heard they're usually former military and not in hospitality. :)

Welcome back!

"I have noticed security is pretty serious i've heard they're usually former military and not in hospitality." :)

I can totally believe he was former military and not in hospitality!!!

And yes they really went above and beyond to make it up - to the point of embarrassing me - I'm not used to so much attention.

I lost track of how many times you had to show your passport!! Why are security people so awful? Just like TSA. Rudeness is never necessary. How about a smile or two?

Look at it this way, though, if there hadn't been bumps when boarding the ship, you wouldn't have gotten the star treatment. Always a silver lining. Thanks for posting your epoch. :D

Bummer about the security issues and having to haul your suitcase. It does sound though like they did try to make up for it. Glad you did finally get reunited with your family.

I am SO glad you got SQUOZEN!!!

And I am glad to know that people our age can and DO survive adversity...

When I started reading I could not believe how you were greeted but by the end I was grinning!

YAYYY!!!

BTW, hope you enjoy SC. I am partial...

I have been thinking about your travails so much and am so glad to hear that it all worked out for you. In our family, after every cruise we vote someone "best cruiser". This is the person who is having fun no matter what happens. YOU are the best cruiser I have ever read about. PS- in our family, Best Cruiser gets a sombrero so here is your virtual sombrero.:)

So glad that you finally made it to the ship. And glad they tried to make up you.

And after reading your story, I'm going to photocopy my passport tomorrow, lock the copy and original back in the lock box until time to pack and then check at least a dozen times before leaving for the airport! My cruise isn't until June.:D

When I last left you' date=' I was sitting in the airport in Miami waiting for my connecting flight to Belize. I'm here to report that I made it to the Star but it was a bit of a bumpy journey to get there (but don't worry, all ends well) My plane touched down in Belize and I went through the first customs check, the woman asked for my passport and YES I had it! She asked how long i would be staying, and tsked, tsked at my missing the boat story. I next went to baggage claim and patiently waited for my suitcase - it was the last suitcase to be placed on the belt.Whatever, I'm now one step closer to my goal of getting to the Star. I went to the next customs check and once again showed my passport. I took a taxi to the tourist village and with a great deal of confusion I made it to customs where I showed my passport and was waved through. I asked a tourist for directions to the NCL tender and saw that one was just docking - great - I'll be onboard in no time! There was an NCL tent with two members of the staff.

At this point I think it is important to mention that my favorite aspect of cruising is that indescriable feeling you have when you get to the terminal and realize that your worries are over - you are going on vacation and are in good hands. I had it for the briefest of moments in Tampa - going up the escalator - only to have it disappear a few minutes later when we realized I didn't have my passport. I put my disappointment behind me though and thought that the indescribable feeling was just delayed not denied. Here comes the bumpy part...

The woman at the NCL tent asked to see my passport - I showed it - and she consulted the list of expected passengers. Guess what? Even though I was assured in Tampa that I would be on the list - I was not. How big of a problem could this be - seriously - how many bedraggled, middle aged women, hauling a big ass suitcase with an NCL luggage sticker, with a photo ID that matches a name of one of the passengers - show up in the middle of Central America and demand to go on board, without being a legit passenger? Is this really a security problem? Anyway, the woman called the NCL security man over and he asked to see my passport. He made a call on his walkie talkie and said to have a seat. And there I sat, me and my big ass suitcase. The tender that had just docked when I got there, left with a full load of happy passengers. I asked the security guard what the hold up was and he told me in a snotty tone that if I wanted to complain, I should do it on the ship. Sure, if I ever get to go on the ship - I will surely tell them what I think. I finally got the clearance to go on the tender and dragged the big ass suitcase onto the tender. We docked at the ship and I hauled the big ass suitcase off the tender and up a flight of stairs - 8 or 9 steps - no offers of help. Contrast that to arriving in Tampa - my suitcase was whisked away faster than I could sneeze. I entered the ship and was asked to show my passport and told to "stand over there". I dragged the big ass suitcase over to a corner and waited. A gentleman from the concierge desk showed up and said "follow me". "Where are we going", I asked. No reply. Maybe he didn't hear me. "Where are we going?" I asked again. At this point I was thinking there was a naughty room for late arriving passengers and I was headed straight for it. After the second question he responded that we were going to Guest Services. That made me feel a bit better - that and the fact that by that point he was dragging the big ass suitcase. We arrived at Guest Services and a gentleman behind the counter asked to see ...you got it ...my passport. At this point Shennie showed up - I remembered her from the terminal in Tampa. She said they had no idea I was arriving that day. "How can that be?" We made the plane reservation on the help desk laptop. We were told that I would be on the expected list. Shennie put the blame squarely on my family who apparently were supposed to notify NCL that I would be arriving and did not do their duty. Why my family would feel a need to do this when they heard the same thing that I heard in Tampa - "you will be on the expected list and your key card will be waiting for you there". (Note - hubby went to guest services that morning before leaving for cave tubing and asked if there was anything special he needed to do since his wife was arriving that day - there answer was no.) At this point, partly due to having been up since 3:30am to get to the airport in Tampa by 4:30am, partly due to hunger, partly due to having to go to the restroom, and a whole lot due to the fact that I was treated as less of a passenger than anyone else, I let Shennie know what I thought of the treatment I had received. To her credit and to her professionalism, she took my criticism seriously. Unfortunately, after all of that the gentleman behind the desk at guest services than asked "do you need help with your bag"? Oh for crying out loud man have you not heard a word I just said?" Of course I need help with my bag - I shouldn't have to haul it while I wander around a ship I'm unfamiliar with, looking for my room." I believe that every passenger who embarks, whenever they embark, should be treated in a hospitable manner - it is after all a hospitality industry. NCL is selling a fantasy - come on board - the ship is yours and we are here to serve you. Their success rides on their ability to sell you the fantasy. My initial experience in Belize made it difficult for me to believe in the fantasy, but I was very happy to be with my family again and after a trip to the restroom and a bite to eat I felt much better. My husband and sons hugged me so hard I was squozen (that's our family word for squeezed too hard) I was ready to put the past behind me and get on with the vacation. That's when it started. A few hours after I got to my cabin, I had a knock on the door - a bottle of wine and a beautiful plate of chocolate covered strawberries arrived. A classy gift from classy Shennie. The next day, I received a call from Shennie, I thanked her for the gift and she wanted to know if all was well. She mentioned that the concierge would be calling me to offer me something. Later the assistant concierge called and offered my family and I breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. On Friday, a tray of chocolate truffles arrived courtesy of Monica.On Friday we had a phone message that we were invited to take a bridge tour on Saturday - this was welcome news - I missed the meet and greet and my family didn't know about it - so we were very happy to have the invite. And lastly, on Friday night we were invited to dine at the specialty restaurant of our choice on Saturday night. Oops, after I wrote this I received yet another gift - a tray of canapes was delivered to the room courtesy of the officers.

All in all, it's been quite a trip. I've learned a lot about myself. I can stay pretty strong when I need to and I can articulate my feelings when the situation warrants. At age 54, I'm still learning and evolving and that's a good thing. I think NCL learned something on this trip too. Shennie said she spoke to the hotel director about my situation and they were examining their procedures and trying to figure out how I fell through the cracks. I believe that is all you can ask for - at least perhaps the next late arriving passenger will get the warm greeting they deserve. One suggestion I would have is to have one of the many, smiling hospitable employees out to greet the late arriving passengers (although I was not on the list, there were 4 or 5 names on it). Security men do not make a great welcome squad - that guy acted like he did not want to be bothered with me at all - so either train him to be polite or find someone who will do the job.

On our last port day - in Cozumel - the staff of the Star lined the gangway to greet the passengers back to the ship. There was music and laughter and a row of chefs wearing their tall hats spelling out W E C A N ' T S A I L W / O Y O U. I asked one of the staff if this happens every cruise and she said "No Madam, this is the first time". I hope it won't be the last - it was a great way for NCL to show their appreciation and the staff seemed to be having a blast too.

I will not let my unexpected bump in the road stop me from traveling the world or stop me from cruising. I will cruise again and I will have no hesitation about choosing NCL in the future. After my first hour in Belize, every single employee was hospitable and gracious. The ship was in great shape. My family and I enjoyed the food (even the buffet) and really liked the entertainment - especially Angels - it was amazing!

That concludes the meta portion of my review...I'm writing from a hotel room in SC where we've stopped for the night. I'll try to update what we did in port after we get dinner.[/quote']

Oh sweetheart, I love your spirit :) I am so glad to hear that you finally made it on board and didn't lose out on your vacation entirelly and that after the first initial bump or two, NCL went over and beyond to help make it memorable for you and your family. I look forward to reading the next installment of your saga.

Imanewbie- all I kept thinking this last week was that you're going to need a new name! You are NOT a newbie any more! Talk about trial by fire :eek:. So glad NCL made you feel better with the little gifties here and there. Wonder if the saw the CC thread? Possibly.... Argh, Belize would have been a hell of a place to be denied boarding. Don't even want to think about it.

Glad you are back and glad It was, overall, a plus.

Thanks OP for both threads. I have subscribed to both of them. I will use them to remind myself to always maintain a positive, forward-looking attitude and strong spirit when sometimes things don't go as good as I'd like to.

Thanks for sharing.

Oh my goodness, I think I went through every emotion possible with your post.

At first, I was jumping for joy knowing your made your way to your ship and then, bam ... anger hit. How dare they question you! This was followed with a sense of disappointment by the crew once you got onboard.

But, then, WOW ... NCL made it so right for you:D:D:D Bravo!

I am so happy that you were able to finally meet up with your family.

Finally, your attitude is simply refreshing. I would love to sail with you and your family one day! Being completely OCD about my vacation time, I'd be sure to remind you about 12 x's a day to check and double check for the necessities;)

Archived