I'm back!

I'manewbie

Yay! I've been thinking about you all week and wondering how your trip was going and I was so happy to see this update! I mean, getting on board and all sucked, but at least they made a ginormous effort to make it up to you and your family!

I can give 2nd hand reviews of excursions that my family did while I was back in Tampa. In Roatan, they walked to the Jungle Top Adventure Zipline - advertised for $45pp, they got it for $35pp. They had a fantastic time. Being the OCD cruise planner that I am, I emailed them instructions to grab a taxi and go to West Bay Beach after the ziplining. I sent pdf files of mistygirl's post and the photo that showed the kidney bean area in front of the Infinity Beach Resort. I think it was information overload because they got in a taxi and ended up at West End Beach :/ - oh well, we'll go snorkeling next time.

In Belize, we had reservations with VIV cavetubing. The guys had a great time but kept mentioning how much mom would have hated it -45 minutes of walking through the jungle would not have been my favorite thing to do, but I would have done it for family unity. When they returned from cave tubing, I was waiting for them in the cabin - lots of hugs were exchanged :)!

Costa Maya was my first complete day - we had reservations to visit the Mayan ruins with Native Choice. Our tour guide was David - he was wonderful. He was very knowledgeable and had a seemingly endless supply of iced cold bottled water. It was incredibly hot that day and the water was much appreciated! That night we went to see the aerialist show, Angels - wow is all I can say. I don't think I've ever seen a standing ovation for an NCL show but they got one that lasted for a long time.

Cozumel was our first morning going to Cagney's for breakfast. I think I now understand why people say that once they've had the suite life they can never go back - I think it's the coffee at Cagney's - there's something addictingly good about it. In Cozumel, I had planned to take a taxi to Playa Palancar but the guy at the taxi stand talked me out of it. He asked if I was going there to snorkel - I said yes and he told me since it was windy that the sand would make it a bad day for snorkeling. So, on the spur of the moment I decided to go to Mr. Sancho's non-inclusive. We stayed for a few hours - long enough to play in the water - have some drinks, chips, salsa, quesadillas - and turn my fair Irish skin a brilliant shade of red. That night we attended a Passover Seder in the Aqua. It turned out to be a very nice affair led by Rabbi Miriam. I drove my pcc Mary Montes crazy when I booked this cruise. Hubby is Jewish and normally we host a seder at home. I knew he would be uncomfortable without one, so I needed Mary to be absolutely certain that there would be one onboard. It wasn't exactly like the seders we have at home, but it was interesting to see other people's traditions. As usual with my luck this past week there was a slight problem...Mary told me to sign up for the seder when we boarded so that NCL could get an idea of a head count. Hubby went to do this on Sunday and sent me an email that we were first on the list. On Wednesday, after dinner, we decided to go check on the list and see how many people signed up . The woman at guest services said over 70 people were signed up and that our party of 3 were on top of the list. Party of 3? No, we are a party of 4. Guess who they left off? Me. Ok, we straightened it out and on Friday night we headed to the Aqua - the private room extension - to check in. The woman at the reception desk was confused - I only have 3 signed up. Again - not me. I think they figured out I'm a wayward Catholic :rolleyes:. We again got it straightened out and I got a seat. The food was delicious and I appreciate the effort that NCL put into it.

Saturday was a sea day - we hung out on the pool deck and the 4 of us went to Cagney's for lunch and dinner - both were outstanding! We also took the bridge tour that afternoon with chief officer Per - he was cute as a button! While we were there we saw a pair of dolphins playing near the bow - I'd been looking for dolphins since I embarked and there they were on my last sea day! That evening we saw Elements - it was good but i think I liked Angels more. After that it was time to return to the cabin and get organized for disembarkation.

I met so many kind people this week - from the desk clerk at the hotel who after hearing my story said "I think you're a Continental Airlines Employee aren't you?" I don't know am I? He gave me a great discount on the room I hadn't planned on having.

My hubby wants me to also give props to the Tampa Terminal employee who was able to retrieve my suitcase from the huge luggage area with the only description being "it's blue and rectangular" she somehow found it and quickly too!

And lastly, to all of the cruisecritics posters who helped more than you'll ever know with your warm wishes and encouragement - thank you so much!

I read your post with baited breath, thinking,"Uh oh," they're not going to let you board in Belize. Name's not on the list.

Thank God, all fell into place, and you were reunited with your family on board.

Our next cruise is in June, and I'm going to double check e-docs & passport.

I couldn't believe that you still had problems in Belize, not due to your fault or your family's, but to NCL. I'm glad that NCL made it up to you. I was relieved (I'm sure you were more so) when you were reunited with your family and 'squozen'.

You really do have a fantastic attitude. May your next cruise be bump free.

Welcome back, glad you finally made it to the ship and your family.

Wow! You are one special lady.

I pride myself in being strong and able to deal well with situations. But I think by the time I got to the ship and again had issues, I probably would have completely fallen apart and lost it.

We're about to head out on the road for the final drive to Maryland - hoping for an uneventful drive. Also hoping that a 12th level was added to my house with an unlimited supply of delicious food that I don't have to cook or clean up after!

So glad to find your thread that all turned out well. Had been wondering and hoping. Can't believe all the hassles with that suitcase but nice that NCL gave some treats. You have definitely made an impression on your readers and given lessons in grace and positive attitude!

Good luck on that house extension with the good, unending food. :D

Newbie ~ you absolutely cracked me up with the big-ass suitcase! What a GREAT attitude! I'm so happy you were able to resolve things and have a good vacation. One thing I know for sure about NCL: when they make a mistake they bend way over backwards to make it up to us! It sounds like you're no exception. Welcome home! And, I hope we get to cruise together sometime... you sound like you'd be an absolute BLAST!!!

I am so glad you had a good time and came back to update us - I think we were all right there with you sitting in the Tampa airport waiting for the plane to Belize. You have a great attitude and a lot of "gumption."

As for the third degree by security, I suspect that they are always looking for that next terrorist - especially one looking frazzled hawling a "big ass" suitcase:D It would almost be worth the hassle just to get all those goodies:D

Here's hoping your next NCL cruise is a lot smoother - you are my hero!

And yes, I am soon to be 54:p

I am right here with the rest of your admirers! Your strength & courage is an inspiration to all of us. Thank you for posting your story, we will all learn from it, I'm sure. Best wishes to you & your family, hope to cruise with you some day!!!

We're about to head out on the road for the final drive to Maryland - hoping for an uneventful drive. Also hoping that a 12th level was added to my house with an unlimited supply of delicious food that I don't have to cook or clean up after!

I hear you on that one! Good luck on your drive. I think the most you can hope for is:

no scary mail

some money to book a new cruise

wheeled luggage

Welcome home!

I would just like to share in welcoming you back home:) We were all delighted to hear you made it to the ship & even tho a bumpy start, you & your family still had a great vacation spending time together:D

BTW be sure to let us know if your house has that new addition! If it does, I think all of us would love to come visit:D:D

You are truly a class act!

I am right here with the rest of your admirers! Your strength & courage is an inspiration to all of us. Thank you for posting your story, we will all learn from it, I'm sure. Best wishes to you & your family, hope to cruise with you some day!!!

I agree! So glad you made it and shared with us!

I was so happy to read your review and my heart sunk when I read about the hassle you got with NCL. I mean, really, how could you have NOT been on the list after they handled your arrangements personnally in Tampa?

So glad they worked overtime to make it right for you afterwards. That's great customer service.

So happy for you that you got to enjoy the rest of the cruise. :D

Loved the suitcase being referred to as the "big ass suitcase". LOL!

Welcome home! I am so happy that it all worked out for you!! I thought of you lots this past week, and I told my dh your story and the absolute class you had in dealing with it all.

The big ass suitcase cracked me up:D! I can not believe that they did not help you! I am also glad that you spoke your mind!! NCL makes up for bobos better than anyone else, and Cagny's is a great way to do it!!

I admire the way you handled it all!

Very happy to hear you are safely home and wound up having a nice cruise with your family. I am also happy to hear that NCL fixed their mistake and made it up to you. Actually, I would be surprised to hear otherwise. I really admired the way you handled the adversities that were thrown your way. I also give you credit for sharing your experiences here on CC. Kudos! :)

Archived