Questions about cruise to Alaska

cruizn2escape

I am trying to help me sister who has never cruised and has booked a cruise to Alaska on Princess. Although I have been on cruises, never to Alaska so I am asking for you veteran cruisers for help.

1. How long does it take to get from the Airport in Vancouver to the cruise ship terminal? She has the option of landing at 10:20a.m. or 2 p.m. the day of the cruise...any suggestions which would be better.

2. How long is lunch served on embarkation?

3. Are there refrigerators in all cabins on the Diamond Princess?

4. Can you bring water or pop on board - if so, how much?

Thanks in advance for your help

I am trying to help me sister who has never cruised and has booked a cruise to Alaska on Princess. Although I have been on cruises, never to Alaska so I am asking for you veteran cruisers for help.

1. How long does it take to get from the Airport in Vancouver to the cruise ship terminal? She has the option of landing at 10:20a.m. or 2 p.m. the day of the cruise...any suggestions which would be better.

Having never been to Vancouver, I can't help with #1...

2. Lunch is served all day in the Horizon Court, from 12noon to about 1:30 in a main dining room.

3. Yes

4. Slap a luggage tag on a case and you'll be fine...

I can't quit remember exactly, but I think it takes around 30 minutes from the airport to the port in Vancouver.

Lunch will be pretty much until 5pm in the buffet. The restaurant will serve until around 2pm.

Yes, the Diamond has refrigerators in all the cabins.

Yes you can bring pop and water on board and even wine too.

Finally it certainly would be best to make the early flight so she can get on board right afterwords. The 2pm flight would be cutting it short.

In fact, I always fly the day before a cruise just to be safe due to flight delays.

Alaska is a wonderful cruise and the Diamond Princess is a great ship.

My DW and I did the Diamond to Alaska last summer and you will love the cruise. Especially get there early to enjoy the views of the Vancouver port from your ship. It is a very beautiful terminal and the building exterior looks like a sailing vessel.

Take the one that arrives at 10:20 AM. Too many things could go wrong with the actual arrival time of the later flight.

Take the one that arrives at 10:20 AM. Too many things could go wrong with the actual arrival time of the later flight.

Plus if she wants to pick up soda or water to bring on board (#4 in list) she'll need a little time for that.

Haven't cruised out of Vancouver (Seattle, though), but I've read posts from time to time about people missing their Alaskan cruise because they didn't get to the ship on time. Apparently Vancouver is one port that even being on a flight booked through Princess won't help due to the tides.

I always recommend flying at least a day ahead of any cruise, but some ports definitely demand it. There are so many different ways that your flight can get delayed or cancelled.

With everything considered, allow an hour to get to get from the airport to the ships terminal. That will not include customs time.

Definitely take the earlier flight, if not one the day before.

Too much could go wrong with the later flight. You don't want to miss the cruise. (Flight delays and customs delays are a bigger concern than how long it takes to get to the ship from the airport.)

The thought of that later flight makes my hands sweat and puts a knot in my stomach. Ugh.

Archived