Two Questions (Toddler Potty & Water for Bottles)

PurpleLaurie55

Hi Everyone :)

Two quick questions....

1. Does anyone know if a toddler potty seat will fit on the toilet in a balcony cabin on the Gem? I am debating whether to bring the stand alone potty, or the one for the full size toilet. Am I safe to assume that, if it fits in the cabin, it will fit on the toilets in the common areas as well?

2. Our younger child will need sterile water for his bottles. Will they let me bring this on board? We boil the water, so it would be stored in large water jugs that are NOT sealed. Or is there a way to get this on board?

Many thanks in advance!

:). Laurie

The water from the tap is distilled; would that be enough, or does your child's medical condition require sterile water?

Re: the potty chair... is it really necessary? I had them in my house, and none when I went out of my house. Kid used one chair exactly twice, but still used the restroom regularly. You couldn't pay my husband to carry a stand alone chair onto a cruise, either... where will it be set up in the tiny bathroom?

You know your needs best, but maybe you're like me :D and packing everything with your kitchen sink? My husband says his nickname on here should be DH'sPackmule. ;)

I hope that helps!

The water from the tap is distilled; would that be enough, or does your child's medical condition require sterile water?

Do you know for sure the water is distilled? I thought it's only filtered, not pre-boiled and cooled.

Do you know for sure the water is distilled? I thought it's only filtered, not pre-boiled and cooled.

It is NOT distilled it is purified using large reverse osmosis (RO) units. It is good, but I don't know if you can get distilled water on board. You could ask your Steward/Butler if they can get you distilled water.

Re: the potty chair... is it really necessary? I had them in my house, and none when I went out of my house. Kid used one chair exactly twice, but still used the restroom regularly. You couldn't pay my husband to carry a stand alone chair onto a cruise, either... where will it be set up in the tiny bathroom?

You know your needs best, but maybe you're like me :D and packing everything with your kitchen sink? My husband says his nickname on here should be DH'sPackmule. ;)

I hope that helps!

Probably the OP would need at least the potty seat topper, to keep the little one from falling in. :) But those don't fit over every type of toilet seat, so OP probably needs to know if anyone has ever used one of those successfully.

Probably the OP would need at least the potty seat topper, to keep the little one from falling in. :) But those don't fit over every type of toilet seat, so OP probably needs to know if anyone has ever used one of those successfully.

Meh. I guess I was lucky with my (*cough* single *cough*) potty training experience because kiddo was so tall and figured out the toilet seat perch... but there's no way I'd carry a potty seat topper around with me on a ship! I had enough in the bag with the sunscreen, baby powder, wipes, kid food, change of clothes for everyone, and diapers to make hubby need shoulder surgery as it was. ;)

I mean, face it, we're not moving in... it's 7 days in a small space. Turn the metal trash can over and step up on that for them to wash hands. *shrug* Or ask the steward for a couple of small boxes to for step ups to the sink and toilet. That way you're not wandering around a ship with a toilet seat. *shrug*

Host Mick once fussed at me for saying RO and very angrily stated cruise ships can't AFFORD RO methods--they distill their water. At this point, I know it's created on the ship in a method that results in a great deal of safe and tasty water.

It is NOT distilled it is purified using large reverse osmosis (RO) units. It is good, but I don't know if you can get distilled water on board. You could ask your Steward/Butler if they can get you distilled water.

There is a CPAP thread that is fairly active at the moment that indicates that distilled water is available for CPAPs if requested.

I tried to Google - there is no exact answer what they do to the water on ships :confused:

There's a sign on the Pearl by the Customer Service desk that explains their water treatment process... Too bad we're not on the ship, huh? *laughing*

I came up empty on a google search earlier, too.

Hi Everyone :)

Two quick questions....

1. Does anyone know if a toddler potty seat will fit on the toilet in a balcony cabin on the Gem? I am debating whether to bring the stand alone potty, or the one for the full size toilet. Am I safe to assume that, if it fits in the cabin, it will fit on the toilets in the common areas as well?

2. Our younger child will need sterile water for his bottles. Will they let me bring this on board? We boil the water, so it would be stored in large water jugs that are NOT sealed. Or is there a way to get this on board?

Many thanks in advance!

:). Laurie

The fold up Diego travel toilet seat fit on the Sun's balcony cabin bathroom. I also bring a folding stool, so I don't have to lift said child up every time he needs to use the bathroom. I consider this essential equipment for travelling with DS2, as I don't enjoy arguing with him every time he needs to use the bathroom. I actually keep the folding toilet seat with me as we go through airports, as he falls into most toilets without the seat. That being said, he's a very small 4yo.

There is a thread right now about travelling with young children using toilets and the pros and cons of equipment in the family forum right now :)

Host Mick once fussed at me for saying RO and very angrily stated cruise ships can't AFFORD RO methods--they distill their water. At this point, I know it's created on the ship in a method that results in a great deal of safe and tasty water.

On our last cruise on the Jewel, I watched the ship information channel, it described their RO plant for water treatment. Without a steam plant (All NCL ships have Diesel Generator and Electric propulsion) it is really hard to distill the amount of water needed for 4000 people. I'm an engineer and former Engineering Officer in the Navy, I actually really know this sort of stuff.

On our last cruise on the Jewel, I watched the ship information channel, it described their RO plant for water treatment. Without a steam plant (All NCL ships have Diesel Generator and Electric propulsion) it is really hard to distill the amount of water needed for 4000 people. I'm an engineer and former Engineering Officer in the Navy, I actually really know this sort of stuff.

I actually wasn't arguing with you. As I said, at this point, I know they create a great deal of safe and tasty water. Would you disagree? Do you think the process NCL uses would render their water supply safe for most applications?

Thank you for the replies.

We need a potty seat as we are in the middle of potty training (I know, not ideal!) and our son is only 2.5. He cannot sit on a regular toilet seat and relax enough to go to the bathroom.

As for the water, we are going to ask the pediatrician if we can use bottled "nursery water". I'm not comfortable using water from the faucet :).

I am going to try to find he family thread since it still seems unclear whether the seat will fit or not. I am not suggesting we will carry it with us always, but we definitely need a potty in the room!

Thank you for the replies.

We need a potty seat as we are in the middle of potty training (I know, not ideal!) and our son is only 2.5. He cannot sit on a regular toilet seat and relax enough to go to the bathroom.

As for the water, we are going to ask the pediatrician if we can use bottled "nursery water". I'm not comfortable using water from the faucet :).

I am going to try to find he family thread since it still seems unclear whether the seat will fit or not. I am not suggesting we will carry it with us always, but we definitely need a potty in the room!

Scroll down on the main boards page to SPECIALTY CRUISING, there you will find the topic FAMILY CRUISING and poof you are there!

The sinks and toilets on the ship seemed pretty high for the kids. I took a cheap stool and a basic potty with me. You can get some really cheap at target and just leave them behind when you are done.

They fit under the stroller when we got on the ship.

Sometimes these things aren't luxuries but necessary.

Don't forget the sippie cups.

Have a good trip

When my daughter was still on formula, I just used bottled water I brought from home to make her formula. Like a previous poster said, you could try nursery water or use ready to feed formula for the trip.

I used the coffee maker in the cabin to heat bottles!

Can I ask why the baby needs sterile water for bottles? I have 5 kids, and have never known anyone who required this. We always used tap water, although my kids don't have any health conditions that required anything else. What will your toddler do in the public area bathrooms? I'm lucky that all of mine were comfortable on a full size toilet at 2 1/2, but you can buy a fold-up topper.

Interesting, because I have never heard of someone using water straight from the tap :)

Most things I have read say to boil the water first because tap water ranges so much depending on where you are, what kind of water system you have (public, well, etc), and what is in the water. From what I've read, bottled water is second to boiled water, and straight tap water is the last resort (unless you've contacted the water company to confirm exactly what's in the water).

Our son was born VERY premature and we aren't willing to take any chances. :)

As for the potty, we aren't entirely sure what our plan is. As I mentioned, we are in the midst of potty training and right now he is too small for the big potty, and he is too scared on it to relax and go to the bathroom.

As for the potty, we aren't entirely sure what our plan is. As I mentioned, we are in the midst of potty training and right now he is too small for the big potty, and he is too scared on it to relax and go to the bathroom.

Have you ever tried to sit him facing the back of the toilet? we did this for my daughter when we didn't have the potty seat, and she liked it. Just an idea, to see if he might be comfortable that way.

Good luck!

Interesting, because I have never heard of someone using water straight from the tap :)

Most things I have read say to boil the water first because tap water ranges so much depending on where you are, what kind of water system you have (public, well, etc), and what is in the water. From what I've read, bottled water is second to boiled water, and straight tap water is the last resort (unless you've contacted the water company to confirm exactly what's in the water).

Everyone I know just used tap - we have city water that is tested, and live in a very old area. We were told to run the water for a minute, and not boil it, because if there were traces of lead, they would become concentrated.

The consensus is that you boil until age 6 months, but of course, Laurie needs to do what she feels she should do for her child. We had preemie twins and I boiled their water until around 9 months. Once we stopped it was heavenly and really cut done on the time to make so many bottles.

Hopefully you get some good answers on the family board. It's an interesting circumstance and hopefully you'll find the seat will suffice. Remember how loud the flushes are though, so you may want to be sure your son is well outside of the area before you flush or you may find his progress retreating! I know lots of adults that are scared of the ship toilets :)

Good luck and hope you are able to find some good answers.

Archived