Advice- Romantic Surprise Date on Gem

PurpleLaurie55

Hi Everyone!

I will be cruising in 19 days (!!!) on the Gem - 6 days, RT from NY to Bermuda. My wife and I, and our two children (2yrs / 8mos), will be staying in a balcony room. My Mom and sister (13yrs) will be staying in an inside room.

My Mom and sister have offered to watch the kids one night so my wife and I can have a date night. My wife doesn't know, and I'd like to plan a surprise for her. Unfortunately, money IS a factor :(, but I am confident I can pull something together on a budget!

I would love and appreciate your ideas! What night would be best? I am thinking we could have dinner at the Italian specialty restaurant... Maybe a spa treatment? What's affordable? Any romantic "hidden" spots on board we could star gaze? Any and all ideas are welcome!!

I'd like to do the date night for around $100... And the only limitation is that I'm pregnant, so no drinks or hot tubs ;)

Thank you all so much! I'm excited to see what advice the experts have to share!

Laurie

Le Bistro is definitely the most romantic restaurant on the Gem, in my opinion. It's $20 per person extra, but definitely worth it! Magnums champagne bar is right outside Le Bistro, so it would be a nice place for a pre or post-dinner drink if you're so inclined. Depending on the schedule of activities that day/time, they also sometimes have a live piano player/singer in that area.

I didn't pay for anything in the spa, so can't advise on that, but you can't go wrong with Le Bistro!

I was checking out Le Bistro - it definitely looks romantic! However, neither of us have ever had French food and I'm nervous we may not like it. What should we expect to see on their menu?

Love the casual drink idea..... Maybe I can opt for something non-alcoholic ;)

You could always order flowers to be delivered to your room on a specific day. Just look on the NCL website and go under Bon Voyage Gifts.

To keep costs down, you could have your own dress up night, go to one of the restaurants and then have someone take your photos on the main staircase. Stop by one of the bars and order virgin drinks and head back to your room to sit on your balcony and enjoy each others company.

There are places to dance on the ship with all different types of music, or just take in the show.

No matter what you do, enjoy your time alone it does not come often enough when you have young children.

I was checking out Le Bistro - it definitely looks romantic! However, neither of us have ever had French food and I'm nervous we may not like it. What should we expect to see on their menu?

Love the casual drink idea..... Maybe I can opt for something non-alcoholic ;)

LeBistro is VERY romantic! The link to the sample menu is here (from NCL):

http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/16224%20Le%20Bistro%20US%20Dinner.pdf

My DH loves the grilled beef (and he's a "steak snob" ;)). You can get them to change out the sides if it's something you don't want (they were good with him that way - he just picked from something else on the menu).

While we don't have children, we do "date night" aboard since I work long hours. Sometimes it's just a nice dinner and finding a quiet place to sit (and have a cocktail/mocktail or even a soda) and just talk and spend time together. Other times, we've even just gone back to the cabin to watch a movie (never have time to do that at home). Even a walk on the deck is just wonderful.

I'm sure it will be a very romatic time - no matter what you choose to do!

A lot of love for Le Bistro hear and I completely understand, but like you my wife and I are not big fans of French food.

The Italian specialty restaurant is fantastic and if you go to the restaurant and talk to them or perhaps call ahead with the reservations line they could probably set you up something unique to make it a bit more romantic if you wish.

You could also plan the dinner around the show times and end the night with one of the great shows.

I didn't find the food at Le Bistro inaccessible or intimidating, so a great opportunity to try a few dishes IMO. We ordered nearly one of every appetizer they all sounded so good and split 3 desserts! We didn't have a single bad dish and I think there are options that nearly anyone would enjoy.

We only ate in the Italian restaurant as overflow dining for the Garden Cafe and I personally found the decor a bit tacky and think Le Bistro has a more romantic feel. To each his own.

at Le Bistro... in your coupon book you have a buy one get one free coupon for cover charge...

The front of the ship usually has a secret hot tub at the top front (or possibly back depending on the ship) They kick you out at around midnight I think though.

at Le Bistro... in your coupon book you have a buy one get one free coupon for cover charge...

The front of the ship usually has a secret hot tub at the top front (or possibly back depending on the ship) They kick you out at around midnight I think though.

Coupon is buy 3 get 1 free or the older coupon is buy two get 1 free in Italian restaurant.

Here's a FREE idea (though it might cost you a drink, if you are kind):

Take your wife to one of the lounges before or after dinner and have the musician dedicate a special song to your wife. Maybe your wedding first dance song? Have a few options in case the musician doesn't know your song. You can be sneaky and run out the night before the "surprise" and talk to him/her during a break and write it down. Have the musician say something like "this goes out to XXX from XXX." Buy him/her a drink to say thank you!

That, a cheaper spa service (do this on a port day and you'll get a better deal) and dinner out would make me very happy!!!

Another idea instead of the spa service: buy her perfume on board as a gift. Have your mom pack gift wrap/bag if you do that.

Laurie: my partner and I were on the Gem in October (our 5th NCL cruise), and Le Bistro is the only NCL specialty restaurant that we thought was truly outstanding. Don't be put off by the name; it is NOT an intimidating restaurant. (Red meat, salmon, duck, chicken -- all very familiar!) The food and service were fantastic, and if you want a really special and romantic meal on board, this is where I would go. (We did not eat at the Italian restaurant on the Gem, having done so on the Jade, and found it mediocre. Also, in terms of atmosphere -- very different. As another poster said, sort of tacky.)

BTW, based on so many raves on here, I ordered the cream of mushroom soup at Le Bistro to start things off, even though I'm not a big fan of soup or mushrooms. Well, it was one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten. It was more like a thick puree poured over mushrooms. Just incredible. And the fondue for two is a not to be missed dessert.

In terms of stargazing: on the Gem, all the way forward on the top deck is an open deck area with circular, padded, double loungers. Very wonderful, quiet space. They usually stack the loungers up at night, but this is a great place to go, day or night, if you want some quiet, alone time.

Have a great trip, and congrats on the upcoming addition to your family.

I'm pretty sure the WIFE is the OP, unless her husband is really pregnant! :D Ladies can plan romantic evenings for their spouses too!

ONE of the wives is the OP (the pregnant one). They are two married women. It is 2012, you know. :)

I'm pretty sure the WIFE is the OP, unless her husband is really pregnant! :D Ladies can plan romantic evenings for their spouses too!

The posting says Laurie the OP is pregnant but she wants to surprise her wife. It is a possible in this day and age.

We just returned from the Gem (April 1 - 8). I had dinner in both Le Bistro and La Cucina. I vote hands down that Le Bistro is the more romantic. They have little round banquets in the side areas. Tip: the Maitre'D in there (a wonderul woman from China with a name so crazy to remember...Sorry) is married to the Executive Chef from New Zealand. I am sure that if you sneak off one day and tell her you are having a surprise romantic evening with your wife, she will make it perfect for you. She could always have the chef write "I love you" in chocolate on the dessert plate, too! Maybe have a single rose at the table?

The spa is entirely too expensive for a tight budget, IMHO.

Have a wonderful time...we did and are rebooking the Gem for a 20th anniversary getaway.

Wendy

Laurie,

Just another thought. Keep in mind that you can bring soda on board to save money. We always ask the room steward to empty the fridge the first day and then load it with our own soda. It really helps us cut back on costs with 2 teenagers.

Wendy

ONE of the wives is the OP (the pregnant one). They are two married women. It is 2012, you know. :)

Ah yes, looks like I'm the one that didn't have full reading comprehension! I just noticed the pregnant OP mention and missed the mention of her wife. I'm well aware that same-sex couples exist, first-hand ;)

Apologies all around!

Wow! Wonderful ideas, guys! I knew I could count on you all :)

Yes, we are a married lesbian couple.... Thanks for clarifying for us Turtle ;)

It sounds like Le Bistro is, hands down, the way to go! So many of you racing about the atmosphere AND the food makes it mighty tempting.... I also love the idea of taking to the musician in advance! What a creative idea I never would have thought of.

Keep the ideas coming... I'm loving this! :)

Another one here who loves Le Bistro. It is romantic and the food is great.

The spa has some good specials. Especially on port days. What about foot massages? They are one of my faves.

Why don't you carry on some non alcoholic wine? It might be tricky to get it on as a surprise, but I'll bet you could. I can only imagine the tricky part would be explaining it is not alcohol so no corkage. A drink on the balcony is awesome.

Congrats on baby # 3.

Oooh I love the idea of brining a bottle of non-alcoholic wine... or maybe sparkling cider or something. Do you think they would give me a hard time getting it on the ship?

Good question. I think they'd treat it just like soda or juice, so pack it in a carryon (not your suitcase you leave with the porter) and openly declare it when you pass through security. They might wave you over to the "wine check in" table, but I'd think that person would say you are fine and wave you on. If you pack it in your suitcase, it's highly likely you'll be required to head to the naughty room which can suck up hours of your time and start your cruise off on a sour foot.

Archived