Mobility question around Dockyard

nuekruizer

I use a mobility scooter ( can walk only about 1 block) and will be docked at the Naval Shipyard. Can I use the scooter to ride around the dockyard area, clocktower mall shops, etc. or is this too far? Or is there a short walk to a bus that goes around the Dockyard? Im concerned about not being able to make it back to the ship once I start out as I do not know the distances between one place and another. Thanks so much for any advice!

I use a mobility scooter ( can walk only about 1 block) and will be docked at the Naval Shipyard. Can I use the scooter to ride around the dockyard area, clocktower mall shops, etc. or is this too far? Yes use scooter, but on your way from ship take a note of curb cuts and big post in the sidewalk. I had to go past enchantment to get a curb cut. Not a real problem, but a little scarry I would not find one. You may be better NOT getting on the sidewalk/

Or is there a short walk to a bus that goes around the Dockyard?

NO.

Im concerned about not being able to make it back to the ship once I start out as I do not know the distances between one place and another. Thanks so much for any advice!

See red above.

Contrary to what the previous poster has stated, it is only a short walk from your ship to the stop for the tram that carries passengers around the Dockyard property, making several stops where you can disembark, such as at the Clocktower Mall. There's no charge for riding the tram, which looks like a small open air train.

The schedule for the tram is a bit sketchy at best, however.

I have a scooter and have used it at the dockyard several times. Have had no problems getting in and out of stores and getting around. Yes, you do have to look for curb cuts in places, but no more than you usually do when you're out and about. We're going to Bermuda again next month and I plan to use my scooter whenever and wherever I'm off the ship. Enjoy!

You can always hug the roadside curb area -- there is car/bus traffic, but minimal. If you stay on the right side going down there are curb cuts -- to the left (there are not). The walking distance to the ferry is about 1/3 of a mile to the ferry stop (unless RC brings a large one in closer). Ferries are totally accessible to mobility scooters -- both large (with an incline) and catamarn type (they put down metal ramps to level it out). You remain on scooter (or switch to seat) on the ferry. No charge for mobility scooter. Goes to St. George's or Hamilton only.

Shops all accessible in Clocktower area -- even glass/rum cake stores have a ramp. The Governor's House however is a steep incline, but very scenic overview. The Museum is accessible at the Dockyard.

It is a very nice area, but very spreadout. Even though there is a tram, would definitely use the scooter -- no problems. Enjoy.

Local buses are not accessible. Take the ferry to Hamilton and enjoy some real stores/eateries -- it is like an established town with traffic and real sidewalks (curb cuts are there, and not all stores are level).

Take the ferry to St. George's, arriving before Noon to see the daily "dunking of the wench", lovely shops and history, but be mindful of returning ferry times as they are not too often. Leave the scooter under the green awning (porch) and buy a ticket for the one hour tram ride throughout the area -- approx. $20 and totally seated.

Enjoy your time in Bermuda. It is very accessible with a little spirit and perserverance. Vicki:)

WOW! Thanks for all of your great advice. Im so happy to know that I can enjoy this area without worry! Can you also get to Snorkle Park by scooter??

Yes, it is accessible -- it is close to the glass factory (there are posted signs). They do charge to go in -- but will let you in free to see it. There is a platform that is flat on the beach, the main restaurant is up a flight of stairs. Vicki:)

Yes, it is accessible -- it is close to the glass factory (there are posted signs). They do charge to go in -- but will let you in free to see it. There is a platform that is flat on the beach, the main restaurant is up a flight of stairs. Vicki:)

Our recent experience was the opposite...they would not let my wife in to look around.

Archived