Snorkeling in Belize. Which is best choice?

LuvTheSea14

We are sailing on the Glory in July. We can't decide between Goff's Caye snorkeling which picks you up right from the ship or Horseshoe Reef Snorkel Combo at Caye Caulker which says you snorkel with sting rays and baby nurse sharks. Anyone take either of these excursions and can help us decide? Thanks

Goff's Cay is an island about the size of my backyard. There is a small dock with a couple of porta-potties on it. Some locals set up a snack bar and trinket tent.

If I had to do it over, I'd go with Caye Caulker.

I have debated for weeks between Goff's Caye and Shark Ray Alley. I think you would find the Belize Port of Call very helpful; I did. Go there, and put in a search for "Coral Breeze" and for "Goff's Caye."

Almost everyone has excellent things to say about Coral Breeze, but since we have snorkeled with stingrays in Grand Cayman, we decided on Carnival's Goff's Caye excursion. That, too, has received excellent reviews. My feeling - and I guess worry - is that with Coral Breeze, you're only guaranteed 45 minutes of snorkeling (Coral Gardens), for the 45 minutes with the stingrays doesn't allow for snorkeling (well, not for coral and fish anyway). I have read that once you're back on Caye Caulker for lunch, you could snorkel from the shore. But I don't know how much time would be on the island - considering lunch is also involved.

So, we opted for Goff's Caye. Even taking into consideration the 30 minute travel time each way, we'll have a solid 1.5 - 2 hours of snorkeling. Better option for our money, although I will also say that swimming with stingrays is WAY cool.

So if you're after snorkeling more than anything else, I'd opt for Goff's over Stingray City. Just my opinion, though, but I will say I have done my homework!

Debbie

Last week on Carnival I specifically asked about the difference because one says Caye Caulker. The Carnival excursion does not go on land to Caye Caulker as I thought. You snorkel in the water off Caye Caulker. I was dissappointed.

We loved Goff Caye when we were on the Glory. Beautiful tiny island with eight palm trees in the middle of the ocean. Paradise to me. The snorkeling was great saw lots of coral and beautiful fish, and a huge eagle ray. We can't wait to go back. The shishkaboobs for three dollars were perfect after all the swimming.

We were on the Glory two weeks ago and did Goff's Caye for a couple of reasons. First, it was through the ship and there would be no worries of tenders, times, etc. We gathered at one of the lounges at 8:00 a.m. and then walked down to deck 0 where the boat picked us up right from the ship. The boat was nice and comfortable and the ride was about 20 minutes to Goff's Caye. It's beautiful there and pretty rustic but nice. The snorkeling was fine and we snorkeled off the beach. The current and waves are rough and many people turned back but we didn't. I not a real strong swimmer but had no problem. The snorkeling there is okay...nothing like Cozumel but glad we took the tour. After our snorkeling we sat on picnic tables on the beach and there was a small place to get water, soda, beer, etc. We even bought some chicken kabobs which were excellent. Around 25 people probably did this tour. You can also snorkel from the boat and it's the same area. We also did this tour because you are back on the ship by noon. We showered, had lunch and then tendered into the village area. To us, this was the best of all worlds.

Just as a side note, I spoke with a woman who was doing an independent tour on her own to Caye Calker and could not get a tender until 10:30 a.m. ship's time. She was very discouraged and not happy...I don't blame her but that is the reason why we did a ship's tour so that we wouldn't have to worry about those issues. I think it's especially problematic when you are in a tender port like Belize. Grand Cayman isn't such a concern because it's just a short ride.

Carnival does offer a ship's tour to Caye Calker. She did say that Caye Calker was fabulous...no time for much of anything though.

Just want to also add our thanks to EVERYONE who has answered ... trying to find as much info as possible on what to do in Belize.

We're been reading about an excursion offered by Carnival in the Ports of Call section that looks like it would be a good thing to do:

Barrier Reef Snorkel & Rendezvous Key Beach Break (click here)

Has ANYONE taken that one? :confused: Any comments would be appreciated.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Just want to also add our thanks to EVERYONE who has answered ... trying to find as much info as possible on what to do in Belize.

We're been reading about an excursion offered by Carnival in the Ports of Call section that looks like it would be a good thing to do:

Barrier Reef Snorkel & Rendezvous Key Beach Break (click here)

Has ANYONE taken that one? :confused: Any comments would be appreciated.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

we were on this excursion on 3/26 cruise EXCEPT we did the SNUBA instead of the snorkeling. Both parties tender together to rendezvous key then break up into their separate groups. there were 10 doing snuba and about 80 snorkeling. SNUBA paid more, but had a divemaster for each 5 people and I'm sure we saw more. Afterwards, we had about 45 minutes to relax in the water, drink rum punch (gratis) before heading back. It was a 12pm departure 330pm return so didn't have to worry about an early go. Need to be at least 8 years old to participate. We would definitely do this again - and rendezvous key is slightly larger than Tef's back yard with 12 palm trees!

We did the Snuba last week ( Miracle) at Rendevous Cay- it was wonderful! The catamaran was huge, and there were other folks aboard that booked the snorkel/beach party. My sister won a bottle of rum on the trip back to the ship (dance contest on the catamaran top deck) We are already planning to do this again. 2 years ago in Belize we did the cave tubing. Highly recommended! Have fun on your cruise.

Archived