Oasis of the Seas or Celebrity Reflection

Hi, We are taking our children 6, and 10 on their first cruise in the beginning of December. I am up in the air between the new Celeberity Reflection and the RCCL Allure/Oasis of the Seas. We have only cruised a few times but that was before we had kids. Our typical family vacations have been in the Caribbaen at nicer hotels. From everything we I read the Reflection looks like it is right up our alley, Beautiful, Great Food & Service and quiet. The Oasis Looks beautiful, most likely not excellent food but non stop fun. I want our children to have a positve fun experience of a lifetime on their first cruise, they are not ones to use the kids clubs when we go away, we always hang together. I don't want them to be bored, but I do enjoy more upscale when away. I also do not love a mob scene at a pool but I guess if I want to take a cruise no matter what line I have to expect a more crowded pool. The problem is I want the best of both worlds. What should I do. Thanks in Advance!

Hi, We are taking our children 6, and 10 on their first cruise in the beginning of December. I am up in the air between the new Celeberity Reflection and the RCCL Allure/Oasis of the Seas. We have only cruised a few times but that was before we had kids. Our typical family vacations have been in the Caribbaen at nicer hotels. From everything we I read the Reflection looks like it is right up our alley, Beautiful, Great Food & Service and quiet. The Oasis Looks beautiful, most likely not excellent food but non stop fun. I want our children to have a positve fun experience of a lifetime on their first cruise, they are not ones to use the kids clubs when we go away, we always hang together. I don't want them to be bored, but I do enjoy more upscale when away. I also do not love a mob scene at a pool but I guess if I want to take a cruise no matter what line I have to expect a more crowded pool. The problem is I want the best of both worlds. What should I do. Thanks in Advance!

Considering the kids I'd say Oasis hands down. Oasis will really cater to the entire family.

I concur with Dave85. With children ages 6 and 10 there will be so much more to see and do on Oasis versus Reflection. We've sailed Oasis and Solstice (sister ship to Reflection), and found Solstice to be more geared to older cruisers. Not to say they don't have children's programs, but the scope of the children's programs are much better on Oasis. And Oasis ain't bad for the grown ups, either!

We’ve been on the Allure and Solstice ( basically the same ships as the Oasis and Reflection) and with kids – my suggestion is to go with the Oasis. The Celebrity ship was terrific but can’t compare with what the Oasis can offer to a family.

Enjoy

M

I follow the above...with kids...Oasis without question. The beginning of DEC is a slow time to begin with...so Oasis wouldn't be mobbed with kids but will have plenty activities they will enjoy. Reflection as does most Celebrity ships get's a more mature 50 something empty nest crowd (for the most part)...especially during the time you are looking to sail...wouldn't be surprised at all if that ship has under 50 kids that week....children will be a definite minority....and in all honesty...if they don't use the kids club there isn't much else for them on X.

I guess by looking at the responses I should definately lean towards the Oasis. Is the food in the MDR good though, I know it probably wont compare to Celebrity from what I hear but on vacations one of the things we look forward to is dining?

I guess by looking at the responses I should definately lean towards the Oasis. Is the food in the MDR good though, I know it probably wont compare to Celebrity from what I hear but on vacations one of the things we look forward to is dining?

I also recommend Oasis. We are sailing Reflection next April, with the main intent of not being around so many kids. Not that we don't love kids, because we do--just looking to see the difference in cruise lines.

We had excellent food in the MDR. My husband and I like nice restaurants and we do not mind paying more for our meals. We are very particular about our food and do not like everywhere we go. Before we sailed Oasis, I read several posts where people complained about the food on her, but after we came home, I couldn't figure out what changed between their sailing and ours. We didn't have any issues with the food in the MDR or the specialty restaurants.

Since you like things a bit more upscale...I suggest specialty dining....there is enough of it to dine in a different restaurant nightly....and it's excellent;)

I've been on both ship classes and in your situation, I also recommend Oasis.

As far as food, opinions on that matter are like brown starfish tattoos. Everyone has one. Personally, I had no problem with the MDR food on Oasis. But if you do, like Steve said, there are a lot of options on that ship.

I have been on Oasis and Solstice and I would recommend the Oasis. While Celebrity has some nicer presentation at dinner (wine stewards and such) the food is not that much of a bump over Royal to warrant making it a deciding factor.

I think that your kids would be bored on Celebrity. The Oasis class has so much more to offer kids, even if they are not going to the kids club. The flow-rider alone may be a winning sale for the kids. Not to mention Ice Skating, Rock Climbing and adventure ocean.

Plus, you can always eat several nights at the specialty restaurants on the Oasis if you want a better food experience.

Wow, just about everyone is saying Oasis with the kids. I kind of figured that but I just didn't want to book without being informed by the people who know. It looks like Oasis it is this time. I am sure in the future when the kids are alittle older or if we decide to cruise without the kids we will try Celebrity. Thanks again Everyone!

The Oasis kids program has a lot of family activities, too. There's a talent show (the kids rehearse with other kids, but then parents are invited to see the final show), scrapbooking classes, puppet shows, etc. There's also family-friendly comedy shows - the jokes had me laughing as much as the kids!

The Oasis has 5 separate pool areas. (One of them is adults-only) It's the only ship that I've sailed on where I didn't think the pools were too crowded.

"It's the only ship that I've sailed on where I didn't think the pools were too crowded." That is Magic to my ears! I also like the fact that you say there is alot of family together time, thats what it is all about when we go away together! Now you are getting me excited about our decision, Thanks:)

Archived