???s on the Sun

letsgocruzin

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses. The last time I cruised NCL was 3 years ago on the NCL Sea. I know the Sun is much larger in comparison. I was wondering how the on board activities are, the pool and sunning area, and the specialty restaurants are. Any other info about what you did or didn't like would be appreciated.

Well there are 2 pools - side by side on the pool deck. 4 hot tubs - if memory serves me correctly.

You should try to attend some of the shows and try out at least one of the specialty restaurants.

Re: the buffet area - there are two lines inside and two lines outside. There is also additonal seating outside (at the very rear of the ship). Also in the buffet area, look around for the "stations" (NOT part of the buffet lines but in the buffet seating area) - i.e. there are an omelet station and a waffle station at breakfast and an Indian Food station and dessert station at lunch.

BEST advice anyone ever gave me: READ the Freestyle Daily carefully - LOTS of useful info.

Wonder around the ship a little and discover stuff.

There is a lot of sunning area, we never had a problem finding a spot. We never wanted to to be too close to the pool on sea days, so we liked the aft deck for sunning.

We loved the speciality restaurants. We ate at all of them, well worth the surcharge.

We only saw one show, it was not our style, but many people seemed to enjoy it.

The Daily really has so much information that you will have no problem finding things to do.

thanks again for the info. On the surcharge restaurants, did you try the sushi bar or the teppanyaki? I was wondering what other things they have on the menu that make it worth the surcharge rather than just eating in the main dining rooms. I know I want to try at least two or three of the specialty restaurants, just not sure which ones. Also, was it difficult getting in, what I mean is, did you make reservations or just walk up?

We always made reservations. You can make them days ahead of you want. The only small problem we had was that East meets West was booked the night we had wanted to go; we just went another night.

We did have Sushi and it was well worth the money. We had more than we can eat and I think it was about $20 total. They also had all you can eat sushi for $10 per person.

We loved Le Bistro and Il Adagio. The main dining rooms were nice too, but we enjoyed the intimate settings and the quiet of the speciality restaurants much better.

Opposite Le Bistro up on deck 12 . . . a great place for late afternoon appetizers if you like a late dinner.

We experienced a lot of chair saving out by the pool, if you want a shady spot, you need to be on the pool deck - sun can be found on the deck above the pool and there are plenty of chairs there.

The teppanyaki is fun, but only if you get to sit at the grill. If they can only do a normal table, I'd advise passing on that and trying again on a different evening.

Both the Bistro and Il Adagio are good restaurants - the food is significantly better than the normal restuarants and the atmosphere is nice. Particularly, in Il Adagio, if the moon is out.

More info via the links in my signature.

The teppanyaki is fun, but only if you get to sit at the grill. If they can only do a normal table, I'd advise passing on that and trying again on a different evening.

Both the Bistro and Il Adagio are good restaurants - the food is significantly better than the normal restuarants and the atmosphere is nice. Particularly, in Il Adagio, if the moon is out.

More info via the links in my signature.

Thanks for the info! It was nice to an example of the daily itinerary.

Ally

I've been on the Sun twice, and the deck parties and games are an absolute riot! From the Newlywed game, to dressing up your favorite guy as a woman, its a scream. We've had so much fun on that ship, we can't wait till next April when we cruise again out of the "Big Easy"! :D

Hello, we will be on the Sun out of NOLA on Nov 6th 2005! and its our first time on a Norweigan ship! Our Carnival Conquest cruise had the contests but nothing to win but pride! We spent more time with friends and dancing! Looking forward to more info on the Sun and cruisin with NCL ! I would like to have a gift delivered to the Sun > no alcohol, does NCL allow? :confused: I have the cabin numbers of my friends who are celebrating their 1st anniversary and it would be kewl if I could surprise them. The Gift dept on the Sun is incredibly limited. I mean.. Limited! I know that Carnival did allow a Gift company to deliver on board ship!

You can have a bottle delivered to your friend's room, but it has to be from NCL. I think you can get fruit and a bottle of wine sent for about $30.

We were just on the Sun for 17 days. There was always enough to do, the staff was great. The only minor problem we encountered was a lack of seating at times in the buffets. I'll be putting a review together soon.

Hello, i hope to clarify this request.. I did not like the Sun's list of potential gifts.. it was too limiting and was hoping to find a company that NCL would allow gifts to be delivered on board. Carnival was cool about it.. not finding that same attitude with NCL.. again. my desire is to find a way, a means, a company that will deliver to the ship.. the kind of gifts I like.. and a little more fun than what was listed on NCL.. I like Harry n Davids, Godiva .... stuff like that! any thoughts on this?

Archived