rental car companys closest to ports

BIGFOOT9100

Sailing On The Wind In June And We Are Planning To Rent Cars In All Of The Ports. Does Anyone Know The Closest Rental Agencies To The Ports In

Hilo

Lahaina

Kauai

Kona

Thanks For Any Help You Can Provide Dont Want To Waste Time Going To And From Rental Agencies

Have never cruised those ports........ but we usually rent cars when we sail.

Best tip is to book on-line before you go or call directly for rental location. Sometimes its difficult to pin point an agency near the port.

On our last cruise I want to the CC port message boards a posted a request for information for a specific port and got a lot of help from fellow CC'rs

Most of the major rental car companies provide shuttles to/from their offices to the piers. Their offices are almost always at the airports and in the ports you mention are only a few miles from the piers. When/If you book online, they will ask for the airport code.

Hilo----------------------------ITO

Kona---------------------------KOA

Kahului, Maui------------------OGG

Kapalua, for Lahaina-----------JHN

Kauai---------------------------LIH

Honolulu------------------------HNL

Note: Kona and Lahaina are "tender" ports, so when you pick up the car, it's best to check when you will have to return the car to get a shuttle back to the pier in time to make the tender. Personally I would plan the day to allow plenty of time for a shuttle back to the pier. It doesn't hurt to be early, but late could be disastrous. BTW, that also applies to all ports.

I would allow at least 1/2 hour to get back from the rental office to the pier, but still would check when I pick up the car.

The rental car agencies at the airport near Lahaina seem to close very early and we wanted the car one day only but until about 8-9 pm. We found that the Hyatt Regency is a pickup/drop off point for Hertz cars so they have late return & you should be able to get a taxi there to get back to the ship. The airport locations allowed you to make the reservation, but in small print had a warning that the return location was closed at time specified & no drop box was available. They have a shuttle to pick us up also. My husband had to call the main Hertz office to figure all this out.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a rough time finding out how to manage this. We are docking in Lahaina in June. We want to get a rental car (I reserved National at Kaanapali) and drive to Haleakala for the zipline tour through a private company then back for the ship-sponsored luau at the Sheraton at 4:30/5:00 in Lahaina. Are there shuttles for National at the pier in Lahaina or do we have to take a taxi to the car rental place? Also, what time should we make the zipline tour for to be sure we have time to get off the ship at 8:00 am and back to Lahaina by 5:00? Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry I don't know if National has a shuttle but would guess they do. Best bet would be to call the Lahaina office. Keep in mind that Lahaina is a "tender" port and first tenders are usually reserved for those booking tours through the ship. I would guess around 11 am would be a safe time for a zip line tour. Since they deal with this problem everyday, maybe you could email them or phone????

Have used Alamo twice in Lahaina. While their last shuttle back to the ship pier leaves at 3:30PM and their office closes at 4:30PM, they do have a late return drop box for keys, and you just park the car in their lot. The first time I called a cab and took this back to the pier, and the second time I met other people at the rental office who were on another ship and also returning late and we shared a cab back. About $15 for the cab and no problems.

We avoided a lot of trouble by calling the car rental company when we got off of the ship, since when we were there, there was no shuttle for our rental (Dollar) ready to meet us. I guess, you get what you pay for. Bring your cell phone

Archived