Success in managing a deal?

tpbf

Recently we have been getting some serious price reduction offers from assorted cruise line companies, Princess included. We are usually Princess cruisers, but over the past year have done RCL and X. Guess that opens us to more advertising. We have never booked on the fly like this or for price.

We usually book ocean view as close to the top as we can, however we had a huge upgrade (from Princess) a couple trips ago getting not only an upgrade to a suite, but - for changing ships and reversing direction - one ticket paid for. Who could say no??

What have been some experiences with the last minute bookings? We are tempted just to go for the good price, taking the cheapest as a guaranteed price, and see what happens. What does happen? I feel sure the offers go out because the beds are open, but has anyone ever just booked the cheapest? Or, do you recommend just booking what you like given a better price? What happened if you did not chose a room, just the least cost?

While any cruise would please us, we would not love having our room in the interior depths. Some of these rates are tempting. . . What have some of you had happen?

Putting this on the Princess board as we do like Princess best.

One time I booked the cheapest cabin on the ship and I got exactly that. It was an inside cabin on the lowest deck as far forward as you could possibly go and still be on the ship. This was on HAL. Cabin was still fine, but it was a less than desirable location. Of course, I was still on a cruise and that's always better than being home. Another time, I got a 10 category upgrade. You never know. It's a gamble if the location of your cabin will affect your enjoyment of the cruise. Now, I pick the cabin I want and keep it. I don't get much vacation each year and I want it to be in a cabin I will enjoy. OTOH, when I retire and can go more, I'll likely book some more affordable options and whatever happens will be OK. It all depends on you and what you'll be happy with. Good luck.

Come July we'll be on the lookout for last minute Med. Deals from both Princess and Celebrity... Celebrity's Tuesday Specials for May/June were eye watering cheap. But we definitely wouldn't book the cheapest on the ship, it would have to be minimum a balcony guarantee. Good luck on your search :)

We booked the Panama canal recently onthe Island Princess inside guarantee. A few days later we were assigned an inside cabin several categories higher, and then just yesterday we were assigned an obstructed oceanview mid ship. This is our first time booking a guarantee, but it was based solely on price to be able to cruise the Panama canal

Booking a guarentee has worked out well for us on our latest booking. Since we booked it the following has happened. It was a BG guarentee.

Got upgraded to a BA on the Lido deck

Switched to a BD of my choosing on the Baja deck near midship and got a price reduction of $700

Got another price reduction of $360.

So far no complaints at all.

ps Under the new cabin designations starting next year, the BA on the Lido will be a BF and the BD we have will be a BB. Very interesting!

I took ann inside gty on Diamond Princess for a B2B in Alaska - a month out. Was assigned E714...which turned out to be a HC cabin, absolutely huge, really a suite but inside. Bigger than a mini-suite. Best cabin I ever had. EM

Archived