Youth Programs on Oceana ?

doowopbob

Page 114 of the new "Your World" has the following:

"Alaskan Explorer Youth Program" for guest who travel with children our Alaskan Explorer Youth program offers the opportunity for everyone to experience the excitement of exploring the Northwest coast and Alaska in a meaningful, enriching way. Designed for age groups between 5 and 13, the program is supervised by experienced and enthusiastic youth counselors"

Not sure what this is all about. Oceana's site still shows "no supervised youth programs". Seems like this may be changing.

With the high prices, tiny cabins, and next to nothing on the ship for a kid to do, it probably will be a tough sell. We were on the Regatta for an Alaskan cruise in 2011 and we were the kids- at 52 and 55, there was practically nobody younger and most could have been our grandparents, let alone parents. My husband and I asked if they gave numbers out for checking walkers at the dining room door. To be honest, it would have been a pleasure to have seen some young people. It was our fourth Oceania cruise and the demographics were way different than on the others, so maybe catering to kids might help fill the ship. It would be strange to find too many kids interested in the two to three hour dinner extravaganzas, but you never know.

We were on the Alaska cryise in 2011 on Regatta and the cruise staff set up a junior cruisers program for the youngsters aboard for that cruise. We had quite a few juniors taking part in the program and seemed to enjoy themselves and not interfere with the older crowd. I guess they realize it is school break over the summer and this time around are formalizing a program for the kids. Bravo

Bill

Maybe they are getting more bookings with people bringing children so they need to keep them busy

Or maybe they are going to change the age demographics of the line to a younger crowd

I am sure all those people Benita has seen with walkers will need to be replaced soon :rolleyes:

Maybe they are getting more bookings with people bringing children so they need to keep them busy

Or maybe they are going to change the age demographics of the line to a younger crowd Don't think so since it is strictly for Alaska.

We too noticed that the demographic on our Alaska cruise May 2011 were

very different from the usual Oceania one. Our cruise did not have the

high percentage of repeat cruisers partially due to the reduced prices.

My cruise demographics may have been skewed due to the fact that it was roundtrip from San Francisco, so people rode their motorized wheelchairs from their houses right onboard without having to fly. Having all those hills gave them a running or should I say wheeling start. I am sorry for being so mean, but I just can't resist. I can only hope that I will still be alive, let alone still cruising in 40 years.

Or maybe they are going to change the age demographics of the line to a younger crowd Don't think so since it is strictly for Alaska.

Maybe they will have one strictly for the Holiday cruises also

After reading the report of marauding children running amuck on the Marina last year maybe a youth program will become the norm ;)

time will tell

My cruise demographics may have been skewed due to the fact that it was roundtrip from San Francisco, so people rode their motorized wheelchairs from their houses right onboard without having to fly. Having all those hills gave them a running or should I say wheeling start. I am sorry for being so mean, but I just can't resist. I can only hope that I will still be alive, let alone still cruising in 40 years.

Well I hope you get the chance to cruise when you have a walker or motorized scooter ...maybe you can ride up the ramp also

maybe they should just ban people from bringing walkers, scooters or wheelchairs aboard

NO WAIT!!! that is probably against some law

Lyn

Archived