Epic March 31, 2012 sailing quick review

luvdznee

My husband and I, ages 40 and 41, sailed on the Epic March 31 through April 7th. This was our third cruise on the Epic (yes we love this ship!) and had a fabulous time yet again. Actually, I would venture to say this was my favorite cruise on the Epic so far. And that is saying a lot considering in January we stayed in a courtyard villa in the Haven. This time, we stayed in a mini suite on deck 9 near the aft elevators and could not have been happier. We had more than enough space for two with plenty of storage. Even for my many pairs of shoes!

We ate mostly at Taste, a couple times at the Garden Café and a few times at the Sushi Bar. I am obsessed with the Godzilla Roll! Also ate at O’sheehans a few times for a quick late night snack after drinking and dancing. We were also fortunate to get reservations for the Chef’s Table Dinner and let me tell you, it was absolutely fantastic. Everything from the food, to the wine and the company was awesome. We had a great group of people at our table and of course after a few glasses of wine the conversation became very lively. We had a great time and it was definitely a highlight of the cruise. I must also say, the staff at the Epic Club is top notch. Truly the best. Quite honestly, I think they are what I missed the most about the Haven. We also purchased spa passes and used the thermal unisex area quite a bit. Very relaxing and not as crowded as I was expecting it to be. Actually, wasn’t very crowded at all.

Being our third time aboard this ship, we had decided before hand that we would not see any of the shows we had seen before - Blue Man, Legends etc. We’ve enjoyed them in the past but we did not want to be tied down to any show or dinner reservations this time. Just wanted to go with the flow as much as possible. We did go to the Ice Bar, and participated in a few trivia games and the 80's game show. That was a real hoot. My poor husband took one for the team and had to “sing like Whitney Houston”, but our team won! We also spent quite a bit of time at Bliss and as always enjoyed the White Hot Party. The energy of the cruise and his staff was absolutely infectious.

I know there is a ton of things I am forgetting, but I am here at work and just wanted to write a little something about our great time on the Epic. If anyone has any questions, I would be more than happy to try and answer them! :)

Adriana

Welcome home and thanks for the mini review. 3 times on Epic sounds great. I see a very common pattern on this board with the number of repeats on Epic. I am scheduled to sail her again early next year. We cant wait.

I agree, the staff in Epic club is amazing. It would be strange for me to say I like the service better than the food in a restaurant but Epic Club would be that experience. They are fantastic and truly have an interest in your well being and how you are. They were one reason we booked another Haven cabin. I think we would miss them too much and be upset we could not access them LOL ;)

I think I may enjoy Epic better the second time since you know what to do and know what to expect, etc.

Thanks for the quick review! It is so nice to hear from someone who loves the Epic so much that you sailed on her 3 times!

We will be sailing the Epic 6/3/2012, and since I booked a mini suite on deck 10, it was nice to hear you give a thumbs up for your room.

do you prefer Taste over the Manhattan dining room? Also do you recommend the Ice Bar?

Thanks so much and I'm glad you had a great (3rd) trip!

Hi,

Actually, and I am almost ashamed to say this, even after three sailings on Epic we have yet to try the Manhattan Room. We have dined at almost every specialty restaurant at least once and at Taste several times. We pretty much enjoyed every meal we had at Taste. Somethings were better than others. I particularly enjoyed the soups and the appetizers. oh and the bread. I normally do not eat bread before my dinner. But I couldn't resist from having three (or four) pieces of that yummy bread. However, I did hear from other passengers we spoke with that they enjoyed the music and ambiance at Manhattan. It is the same menu as Taste.

Honestly, I didn't think I would enjoy the Ice Bar considering that I hate cold weather. Being born and raised in Miami that is the coldest temperature I have ever experienced. The night we were there I asked the bartender what the temperature was, he checked the thermostat and told me it was 15 degrees. We were in there maybe 15 minutes, but it was just enough time to take some pics and enjoy the vodka drinks. The apple one was pretty tasty. It was fun. Definitely different, at least for me!

Hi,

Actually, and I am almost ashamed to say this, even after three sailings on Epic we have yet to try the Manhattan Room. We have dined at almost every specialty restaurant at least once and at Taste several times. We pretty much enjoyed every meal we had at Taste. Somethings were better than others. I particularly enjoyed the soups and the appetizers. oh and the bread. I normally do not eat bread before my dinner. But I couldn't resist from having three (or four) pieces of that yummy bread. However, I did hear from other passengers we spoke with that they enjoyed the music and ambiance at Manhattan. It is the same menu as Taste.

Honestly, I didn't think I would enjoy the Ice Bar considering that I hate cold weather. Being born and raised in Miami that is the coldest temperature I have ever experienced. The night we were there I asked the bartender what the temperature was, he checked the thermostat and told me it was 15 degrees. We were in there maybe 15 minutes, but it was just enough time to take some pics and enjoy the vodka drinks. The apple one was pretty tasty. It was fun. Definitely different, at least for me!

Funny you say that

Our last Epic cruise, we never ate once at Manhattan or Taste. We wanted to try lots of speciality restaurants and could not even try all of them either.

This time I think we will try Manhattan once , probably when they have the unplugged show.

We were on that same 3/31/12 Epic cruise. We echo your sentiments in that we loved it. DW 48, DD 10, DS 8, and me 48, were in a forward/hump balcony cabin with an extra large balcony, 11076, and it was great. But with the kids getting bigger now and with a lot more stuff, we will be moving up to a suite on all future cruises. We ate at Teppanyaki, Le Bistro, Cirque Dreams, O'sheehans, Taste, and Garden Cafe. I thought the food was quite good everywhere. I have read where folks said they had issues getting a lounger at the pool, but we never had an issue finding a chair. DW and I sailed the Baltic on the Sun last summer and it was good, but nothing compared to the Epic. We sailed on Celebrity Solstice at Christmas this year, and again, Epic was a much better time for us. We have sailed dozens of times and never had a bad cruise, with Oceania being our favorite. But this Epic cruise was outstanding. NCL has a winner with this one!

Welcome home and thanks for the mini review. 3 times on Epic sounds great. I see a very common pattern on this board with the number of repeats on Epic. I am scheduled to sail her again early next year. We cant wait.

I agree, the staff in Epic club is amazing. It would be strange for me to say I like the service better than the food in a restaurant but Epic Club would be that experience. They are fantastic and truly have an interest in your well being and how you are. They were one reason we booked another Haven cabin. I think we would miss them too much and be upset we could not access them LOL ;)

I think I may enjoy Epic better the second time since you know what to do and know what to expect, etc.

Agreed David....Big help knowing the ins and outs of the ship...Posh and Epic Club are our favorites...What cruise are you on?

We did our first cruise last month on the Epic in a Haven Penthouse Suite, I was home for 4 days and have booked the same cruise for Mar/13. Friends say "same cruise" but as I explained there was still so much to see that I missed the first time round.

We did our first cruise last month on the Epic in a Haven Penthouse Suite, I was home for 4 days and have booked the same cruise for Mar/13. Friends say "same cruise" but as I explained there was still so much to see that I missed the first time round.

Lol! I get the same thing "same cruise, again?". I am seriously considering booking at least one more cruise on the Epic. I miss it already! And yes, there are STILL things we have yet to do/see on this ship. And some things I simply want to experience yet again. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334433543.292553.jpg.c91521c88137bbcc2e27b0d1767a0a98.jpgI too did the Epic twice. Loved it so much the first time round last July in the Med that within three days of getting home I was booked back on her for last December in the Caribbean. Loved it.

Same room 11315 both times aft balcony.

Manhattan is amazing.

Preferred entertainment on Caribbean cruise over Med. Howl at the moon and The second city brilliant.

Just done RCL Freedom of the Seas and felt like I was cheating on The Epic. Ha ha.

[ATTACH]229796[/ATTACH]I too did the Epic twice. Loved it so much the first time round last July in the Med that within three days of getting home I was booked back on her for last December in the Caribbean. Loved it.

Same room 11315 both times aft balcony.

Manhattan is amazing.

Preferred entertainment on Caribbean cruise over Med. Howl at the moon and The second city brilliant.

Just done RCL Freedom of the Seas and felt like I was cheating on The Epic. Ha ha.

Our last cruise was on Freedom, and we are scheduled next to be on the Epic. We loved the Freedom, so with all of these positive reviews I can't want to sail. What did you think of the Freedom in comparison?

Our last cruise was on Freedom, and we are scheduled next to be on the Epic. We loved the Freedom, so with all of these positive reviews I can't want to sail. What did you think of the Freedom in comparison?

Loved the Freedom and just as great as Epic but the Epic wins on entertainment as they had so much more going on other than the main theatre events.

You had jazz, piano lounge, howl at the moon, second city and all with repeat shows so if you missed it one night you had a chance to see it again.

Freedom wins for free spa facilities.

When on Freedom I couldn't compare as they kinda do the same but different. Cruise Director better on Freedom but that's just my taste in his British humor.

...Freedom wins for free spa facilities. ....

Are you referring to the adults only solarium which includes the hot tubs and a pool? Freedom has the Vitality Spa where all the spa treatments are available. What spa facilities are you referring to that are free?

Are you referring to the adults only solarium which includes the hot tubs and a pool? Freedom has the Vitality Spa where all the spa treatments are available. What spa facilities are you referring to that are free?

Steam room and sauna facilities. One Epic they could only be found in the Mandara Spa which u pay for

Archived