Letter of consent

Taking our grandie with us cruising in June with P&O

do we need a letter from her parents to take her out of Australia?

thanks in anticipation

B&B

Sure do.....but not sure of current rulings. Suggested you contact DFAT. The letter of consent has to include medical too ie giving you permission to make medical decisions on behalf of the parents.

just found a mock up on the web.i think this will suit.

http://www.samplewords.com/child-travel-consent-form-international/

International Travel Consent and Acknowledgement

I, {NON-TRAVELLING PARENT/GUARDIAN FIRST LAST NAME}, make oath and state that I am the {MOTHER/FATHER/GUARDIAN} and shared legal guardian of:

Child – {CHILD’S FIRST LAST NAME}({MALE/FEMALE}), born {CHILD’S BIRTH DATE} in {COUNTRY OF BIRTH}

1) {CHILD’S FIRST LAST NAME} has my consent to travel with {TRAVELLING PARENT/GUARDIAN FIRST LAST NAME}, ({MOTHER/FATHER/GUARDIAN} of child) and shared legal guardian of above mentioned minor child.

2) This consent is valid for travel starting on or about {START DATE OF TRIP} to { TRAVEL DESTINATION} and returning on or about {END DATE OF TRIP}.

3) I authorize and recommend {TRAVELLING PARENT FIRST LAST NAME}, to make emergency medical decisions on our behalf, in the event that my child requires emergency medical treatment at a time or place from which I may not be reached.

4) I authorize and recommend {TRAVELLING PARENT FIRST LAST NAME}, to make arrangements and determinations for all modes of travel, including itinerary changes as necessary during this trip.

5) In the absence of {TRAVELLING PARENT FIRST LAST NAME}, should any medical, travel or personal welfare incident arise, immediate contact shall be made to me, {NON-TRAVELLING PARENT FIRST LAST NAME}. If immediate communication is not possible, these decisions are to be made by {THIRD PARTY CONTACT FIRST LAST NAME}, ({THAT PERSONS RELATIONSHIP TO CHILD}) or {ANOTHER THIRD PARTY CONTACT FIRST LAST NAME} ({RELATIONSHIP TO CHILD}) who will be traveling with the above mentioned child in {DESTINATION COUNTRY}.

Signed_________________________________________________

NON-TRAVELLING PARENT/GUARDIAN FIRST LAST NAME}

NON-TRAVELLING PARENT/GUARDIAN ADDRESS 1}

NON-TRAVELLING PARENT/GUARDIAN ADDRESS 2}

NON-TRAVELLING PARENT/GUARDIAN PHONE NUMBER}

NON-TRAVELLING PARENT/GUARDIAN PHONE NUMBER 2}

Notary Public Signature/Seal:

International Travel Consent and Acknowledgement (Example Mockup)

I, John A. Smith make oath and state that I am the Father and shared legal guardian of:

Child – Ann B. Smith (Female), born January 1, 1998 in the United States.

6) Ann B. Smith has my consent to travel with List C. Jones, (Mother of child) and shared legal guardian of above mentioned minor child.

7) This consent is valid for travel starting on or about May 30, 2008 to Paris, France and returning on or about June 6, 2008.

8) I authorize and recommend Lisa C. Jones to make emergency medical decisions on our behalf, in the event that my child requires emergency medical treatment at a time or place from which I may not be reached.

9) I authorize and recommend Lisa C. Jones to make arrangements and determinations for all modes of travel, including itinerary changes as necessary during this trip.

10) In the absence of Lisa C Jones should any medical, travel or personal welfare incident arise, immediate contact shall be made to me, John A. Smith. If immediate communication is not possible, these decisions are to be made by Michael D. Jones (Step-Father of child) or Nancy E. White (family friend) who will be traveling with the above mentioned child in France.

Signed_________________________________________________

John A. Smith

999 Main Street

Chicago, IL 61111

00-1-555-555-5555

00-1-555-555-5556

Notary Public Signature/Seal:

no actually they did not. It was just that I read on RC website about this and also during the process of getting her passport about parent's consent etc

I will ask when the P&O consultant rings back to confirm payment etc

Cheers B&B

I know this has been discussed before on here, but was some years ago. That form looks good, and it is easy enough to get a JP to witness signatures. I still would ring DFAT as they will have the info regarding the islands you are visiting and their laws too. Then you can rest easy, knowing all is covered, and enjoy your cruise without worry.

no actually they did not. It was just that I read on RC website about this and also during the process of getting her passport about parent's consent etc

I will ask when the P&O consultant rings back to confirm payment etc

Cheers B&B

i read on the RC site that the person did not keep a copy of the letter about the nephew to get back into the country.....so keep a duplicate copy just in case you need it

good ideas thanks folks.

CC's are all so well informed!

thanks

B&B&C

We took our granddaughter on the Rhapsody 3 years ago. Royal Caribbean said a letter of consent would be "a good idea", so we did something similar, without the JP involvement. Actually 2 letters, as getting the estranged parents together to sign was not a good option :D

One thing we added was permission to take part in activites on board, and it was useful for the rock climbing wall, where parents had to sign in minors before they could climb.

DFAT at that time (and for our cruise) did not require any written permission, but that may have changed now.

Have a great cruise

Hilary :)

Hi happyaussies,

I contact P & O Aust, in regard to getting a signed and notarised letter of consent for my nephew to travel with me on a cruise in September 2012. Their answer was that they would not need one and that I should check with Australian Customs. Based on this advise I contacted Australian Customs on: information@customs.gov.au and they came back with this exact wording, "Provided your nephew has a valid passport/visa (if required), there will be no restrictions for him to travel with you."

However, as a precaution I am getting a couple of letters signed by my nephews parents, just in case anyone asks for parental consent during our cruise.

Regards

Ozcruisiegirl:)

thanks ozzie, yes! this is my thoughts too!

AND doing a mock run of the child's passport online...there is a section there for both parents to sign to obtain a passport, so I guess you can't get authorization through their passport.

I never thought about the sign will on board?

thanks you

B&B&C

Have taken my grandchildren out of the country on planes and ships and have never needed any permission notes etc.

As the previous poster said the passport is the "pass go" ticket. For separated parents they must get a form signed from the other parent before a passport is issued.

Di

Have taken my grandchildren out of the country on planes and ships and have never needed any permission notes etc.

As the previous poster said the passport is the "pass go" ticket. For separated parents they must get a form signed from the other parent before a passport is issued.

Di

yes and separated parents may have a there childrens passports may be flaged.

also as a grand parent you may have get signed form from both parents.

It makes it a hassel but it stops chilren from being takin from the Australia with out consent.

You cant be too careful...the rules have been tightened considerably to ensure children are not taken from the country without permission.

Tick all the boxes and if possible make sure the parents come to see you off..just in case.

I had a dreadful time a few years ago with Navy Boy when I realised a couple of weeks before our cruise that he did not have six months left on his passport. It was complicated by being in my long term care but I am not his birth parent although I had legal responsibility for him...long story short..I had to get his mother to come to DFAT even though she had no legal responsiblity....what a drama. Would you believe they wanted permission from a father who had no legal responsibility and had not seen him in years and we had no idea where he was! I had heaps of paperwork to show that I had legal responsibility.

Like I said make sure and then doubly sure.

And yes we made the cruise....:)

Sue

Having faced this issue many times as I am no longer with my Son's father, this is what I do. If I am travelling in USA, especially if I am going to Canada, I need a signed and authorised letter. Travelling P&O I need nothing. However, as neither of you are the legal guardian, I would get the letter you are speaking of or Stat Dec really looking at the wording. In times of stress it is always better to be over safe than not have what you need.

Also on the note of copies - make sure they are notarised copies, witnessed by the JP otherwise they are not worth anything.

Archived