C & A Status for children turning 18

dz9yvr

Here's another account of how the system is supposed to work. I needed to call RCCL C&A today and pay for an upcoming cruise and I asked about my daughters status and confirmed that she got the correct points from our last cruise. The C&A rep told me that a child will inherit the parents status if they actually cruise with the parent at that level. For example, if you turn Diamond and your child has never sailed with you as a Diamond member before they turn 18 they will not get your status. The child actually gets the status whenever they sail with you and the C&A rep told me they never downgrade status. She said the child will only have the number of points they have earned. It was good that I checked because somehow my daughter was not listed as being in my household and would not receive my status when she turns 18.

My head is spinning. That wasn't the case with us. We turned Diamond, then my son turned 18, then we cruised together and we were all Diamond on our last cruise. However, if we've established nothing else, it is that the policy isn't uniformly applied!

My head is spinning. That wasn't the case with us. We turned Diamond, then my son turned 18, then we cruised together and we were all Diamond on our last cruise. However, if we've established nothing else, it is that the policy isn't uniformly applied!

If you turned D before your son turned 18, he would be D also (had he sailed with you prior to this?)

After the child turns 18 their points are adjust to the number that they actually earned. So, that sounds correct. They keep the status but only the points that they have actually earned.

I am Emerald and my dd went down to Platinum after changing to her married name. That is what her own status would be.

If you turned D before your son turned 18, he would be D also (had he sailed with you prior to this?)

Yes. Maybe I misunderstood the prior post but in sounded as if he would have needed to sail with us, as Diamond, before turning 18.

Yes. Maybe I misunderstood the prior post but in sounded as if he would have needed to sail with us, as Diamond, before turning 18.

No, as long as you turn D before he is 18. You may have to call to make sure he has been adjusted correctly, but he doesn't have to sail with you as D. You kids get your level after first completed cruise so as long as he sailed with you prior I think he would get your level.

I am Emerald and my dd went down to Platinum after changing to her married name. That is what her own status would be.

This doesn't sound right to me. I would call and ask. Do you have any printouts showing she was E at some point?

My kids all got letters welcoming them to D when we turned D.

No, as long as you turn D before he is 18. You may have to call to make sure he has been adjusted correctly, but he doesn't have to sail with you as D. You kids get your level after first completed cruise so as long as he sailed with you prior I think he would get your level.

Thanks. That's what I thought and that has been the case. We were all Diamond on the last cruise. I think I got caught up in the different scenarios. Only the youngest is Diamond, the other two turned 18 before then so they are Emerald.

My girls aged 27 and 22 are still receiving points from the cruises that we, their parents, have taken.....I just checked today....though they only have the one cruise they have actually taken showing they also have the same number of points as us...136..... Our last cruise was in January....they were credited points for that cruise as well....no rhyme or reason! We also have a cruise planned for Jan 2013....they did get the diamond balcony discount.

Bonnie

• 2 weeks later...

I had this experience. I was platinum under my parents and retained their level after I turned 18. RCI's policy, at least when I was going through this 14 years ago, was that you retain all of your parents credits so long as you continue to cruise after you turn 18 on your own. I had gone at 19, which kept my previous credits. Also, when I got married 7 years ago, I had no issues with credits and name changes. There is no reason you should lose any credits for a name change. I'd definitely check on that as other posters had said. Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...
No, we were secretly hoping that they would keep the points. The adjustments were made after the last cruise that they took even though my daughter is 25 now. I think when they changed the program they updated to include making the adjustment.

In fact, my 25 year old daughter called RCCL to complain :) I don't have much sympathy for her. She is probably Emerald on her own now but has yet to pay for a single cruise.

If your adult child's totals still reflect your point total and not theirs I would guess that the adjustment will be made eventually.

Our problem is the 18 year old is Diamond and the 22 and 25 year old are Emerald. Makes for some interesting family dynamics.

I just printed off the cruise docs for our upcoming Freedom cruise. I thought we were all Emerald - but no my oldest 3 (over 18) are now reverted back to Platinum. My youngest is still Emerald (he is 17). The girl at C & A told me its when they turn 18 - they do their own thing (not same as parents - unless they've cruised all the same ships).

I just printed off the cruise docs for our upcoming Freedom cruise. I thought we were all Emerald - but no my oldest 3 (over 18) are now reverted back to Platinum. My youngest is still Emerald (he is 17). The girl at C & A told me its when they turn 18 - they do their own thing (not same as parents - unless they've cruised all the same ships).

Ok well that's not how I understand it. I know their credits should revert, but their status should remain.

There are so many different experiences posted here, however, that I'm not sure that anyone really knows what is 'right'.

If I were you, I'd call and talk to someone else about this. You don't have anything to lose.

Ok well that's not how I understand it. I know their credits should revert, but their status should remain.

There are so many different experiences posted here, however, that I'm not sure that anyone really knows what is 'right'.

If I were you, I'd call and talk to someone else about this. You don't have anything to lose.

I think it must depend on who you get on the phone. Why would their status remain the same if the credits were lower? I took more cruises than my kids.

With us it's been totally different. our son kept our rank until he changed his address, then went on his own. Our daughter (28) has kept our address & she is still listed under our rank. On our cruise next month she is listed as Diamond Plus. This will be her 8th cruise.

Go figure.

I did mention this was how I thought it was to the C & A rep, but she put me on hold and said the policy must have changed because it is now when they are 18, they get the boot.

I think it must depend on who you get on the phone. Why would their status remain the same if the credits were lower? I took more cruises than my kids.

As part of the C&A benefits, it lists that your children will get your 'same status level after 1 cruise'. They don't say it is temporary, or that it later reverts.

I do think it depends on who answers the phone when you call. I called as recently as Sept 2011, and I was told that children retained the level they had before they turned 18. This applied to S2. S1 turned 18 before we were D+, so he is D. S3 is still a minor.

Kids who turn 18, retain parents status. Their points, however, revert back to the actual points that the kids have "earned". Meaning it will take them longer,perhaps, to attain the next level.

Example : Diamond ( 140 points ) Member Family

Kid turns 18, but is only eligible to be Emerald ( 70 points ) he/she now must get 105 points to get to next level for themselves which is Diamond Plus. The parents need 35 more points to become Diamond Plus.

Thats it folks, plain and simple !!

Kids who turn 18' date=' retain parents status. Their points, however, revert back to the actual points that the kids have "earned". Meaning it will take them longer,perhaps, to attain the next level.

Example : Diamond ( 140 points ) Member Family

Kid turns 18, but is only eligible to be Emerald ( 70 points ) he/she now must get 105 points to get to next level for themselves which is Diamond Plus. The parents need 35 more points to become Diamond Plus.

Thats it folks, plain and simple !![/quote']

I agree with your summary, however, many people have reported getting treated differently with respect to both points and status, for the good, and the bad.

I think it is due to untrained reps answering the phones and managing accounts. All one can do is to keep trying.

Marci, I agree, but I also know that most people don't take the time to listen to the rep. on the phone and get all facts and figures before they start to rant about how RCCL is treating them right or wrong.

The numbers used are actually our family so I know first hand that they are 100% correct, just getting back from Enchantment.

I'm going to try to call back. I don't think the girl on the phone knew the rules. I am emerald status having cruised more than anyone in the family. All my kids - according to their points - sb Platinum. She linked my 17 yo to me and said he was Emerald, but the older ones 19, 24, and 26 now are being demoted to Platinum. How do you get the rep to change this for you? Where are the rules for this listed?

After my kids turned 18, their points were not reduced to their actual totals until after their next cruise. Sometimes it takes a while for the adjustment to be made.
I will be able to confirm this scenario in just a few weeks. I actually think thats what should happen. C&A told me they won't take away her Diamond Plus status she just won't turn Pinnacle until she can do it on her own. Well good luck with that, I gave up!! She will be Diamond Plus on her own within the year anyway but if I have my way we will out cruise her. :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

Archived