C & A Status for children turning 18

dz9yvr

So the answer seems to be..."don't rock the boat" so to speak :) and everything will remain the same! LOL!

Katie

I would say everything "might" be the same! We didn't say a word and our kids point totals were reduced. Their status stayed the same so we can't really complain.

With us it's been totally different. our son kept our rank until he changed his address, then went on his own. Our daughter (28) has kept our address & she is still listed under our rank. On our cruise next month she is listed as Diamond Plus. This will be her 8th cruise.

Go figure.

If your son was a minor when he attained that rank, he should keep it whether or not he moves out. His points would go back to what he earned on his own, but he should keep the status. That is how I understand it.

And Royal should really have it all spelled out somewhere, but they don't. This gives them the option to change things whenever they want to.

If your daughter attained her rank when she was a minor, she should keep it as well. My 19yo son lives with me and he did not turn D+ when we did because he was already an adult, so he is D. I am wondering if I should ask about this.

This might make people mad but why should a minor even get their parents status to begin with? They can't book cabins so the discount doesnt matter and the cant use the diamond lounge so that doesn't make a difference either. I don't see the difference if your kid is gold and you are a higher rank.

It just makes a bunch of 18 year olds who have been on 4 cruises diamond for life which will cause them to up the points needed to make each status at some point.

Make the kids do it the hard way one cruise at time :)

Now yes my future kids (some day) will be diamond from birth, im almost there, and I will enroll them but just saying I don't see why they get to keep that status forever.

This might make people mad but why should a minor even get their parents status to begin with? They can't book cabins so the discount doesnt matter and the cant use the diamond lounge so that doesn't make a difference either. I don't see the difference if your kid is gold and you are a higher rank.

It just makes a bunch of 18 year olds who have been on 4 cruises diamond for life which will cause them to up the points needed to make each status at some point.

Now yes my future kids (some day) will be diamond from birth, im almost there, and I will enroll them but just saying I don't see why they get to keep that status forever.

Royal Caribbean doesn't care about the details, they just want to sell cabins. They offer same status for children as a perk to get you to sail with them.

Have they been on a cruise recently? The adjustment to separate them from parents appears to be made after they cruise after turning 18. Sometimes it takes a bit longer.

Son turned 18 before we turned Diamond. Still lives at home.

Our TA was told he will be platinum and have his own points.

We are cruising in two weeks and this will be our first cruise since we became diamond.

I will report back what status my DS really has.:confused:

Son turned 18 before we turned Diamond. Still lives at home.

Our TA was told he will be platinum and have his own points.

We are cruising in two weeks and this will be our first cruise since we became diamond.

I will report back what status my DS really has.:confused:

If he turned 18 before you turned D, he would not attain D status. It only applies to minor children. Once they are adults, they should revert to their own points as they continue progress towards the next level, whatever that may be.

Here's an error for you. Kind of a complicated story.

My grandparents live in my house, along with my parents and my sister. They took the whole family on a cruise about 7 years ago, but I don't think they ever signed us up for C&A. Fast forward to 2009, and they took me on the maiden voyage of Oasis. They signed me up for the Crown and Anchor Society, so I inherited their Platinum status (me having only done 2 cruises). We went on the Navigator again last April, so we were still all the same amount of points and the same status.

Now, I also went on the Allure last summer with my Aunt. This cruise made me Emerald by 2 points, so now I'm higher than my grandparents! :p But anyway, when we got home, my aunt got a whole bunch of stuff in the mail congratulating her for making Emerald status. I told her they must have sent it to the wrong person, as she would have made Platinum, not Emerald on this cruise. She logged in to her account online, and low and behold, my grandparents entire cruise history showed up in HER account! They did not sign her up, yet their history showed up! She is now Emerald with the same number of cruise points as me!

How does this work!?

I also have two questions:

When I turn 18 this December, I will remain Emerald, but my point total will drop down 27 (yikes! :eek:). Is this correct?

So now how do I move up to Diamond? My current point total is 57, so will I only need to cruise 23 more nights to reach 80 points, or will I need to sail 53 more nights?

When I turn 18 this December, I will remain Emerald, but my point total will drop down 27 (yikes! :eek:). Is this correct?

So now how do I move up to Diamond? My current point total is 57, so will I only need to cruise 23 more nights to reach 80 points, or will I need to sail 53 more nights?

You should remain at Emerald but your point count should revert to those points that you have actually earned, 27. Now, whether or not this will actually happen remains to be seen.

You should remain at Emerald but your point count should revert to those points that you have actually earned, 27. Now, whether or not this will actually happen remains to be seen.

Hmm...interesting. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Exactly. It's C&A roulette.

Husband and I are Platinum. Son has cruised with us in the past, but never on RCCI. We do have a cruise booked on RCCI next January with our son. Our son will be 21 next month. The customer service rep initiated the conversation regarding our son's status after our cruise next January. He said that once our son completes the cruise with us, he can sign up for Crown and Anchor and be 'grandfathered' in to Platinum status since he was under our reservation.

My 15 year old currently has Diamond status by piggybacking on my status. After our June trip he will be Diamond on his owm merit. When he turns 18, he will be Diamond + on his own.

How is this possible? Is he doing a lot of cruising? I thought going from Diamond to Diamond plus was 80 to 175 points ( crusie nights) is he really cruising 95 days ( or 48 nights in a suite) over the next 3 years? Im actually wondering about this! Does he spend his summers on board?

That doesn't seem right. So, sons who get married would retain their status because they don't change their name? And woman who don't get married (or change their name) also retain their status? Seems discriminatory against married woman to me.

I'll have to tell my daughters to keep their maiden names in the RCI system after they get married someday.

I think Donna that they don't actually do it "right" most of the time after a kid turns 18, because so many people report 18 yo keeping the same points as well as status. But when they have an opportunity to "catch it" manually, they correct it. It's inconsistent, but what's new!:rolleyes:

Husband and I are Platinum. Son has cruised with us in the past, but never on RCCI. We do have a cruise booked on RCCI next January with our son. Our son will be 21 next month. The customer service rep initiated the conversation regarding our son's status after our cruise next January. He said that once our son completes the cruise with us, he can sign up for Crown and Anchor and be 'grandfathered' in to Platinum status since he was under our reservation.

He shouldn't be, because he is no longer a minor.

That doesn't seem right. So, sons who get married would retain their status because they don't change their name? And woman who don't get married (or change their name) also retain their status? Seems discriminatory against married woman to me.

I'll have to tell my daughters to keep their maiden names in the RCI system after they get married someday.

It should have nothing to do with name change. The rule is actually quite simple. I think what complicates it is that it isn't uniformly applied.

I think Donna that they don't actually do it "right" most of the time after a kid turns 18, because so many people report 18 yo keeping the same points as well as status. But when they have an opportunity to "catch it" manually, they correct it. It's inconsistent, but what's new!:rolleyes:

Well said!

Here is my understanding of how family members inherit status. First, you must be family members living in the same house and be enrolled in C&A. It does not matter about age. If one person in that house earns a status, let's say Diamond, then every family member living in that house becomes diamond. Let's say there is a youth-12 years old, a parents-40 years old and a grandparent-65 years old. They all went on an RCI cruise 10 years ago and all enrolled in C&A. They all became Gold at that time. Youth and grandparent never went on another cruise but parents cruised twice a year for the next several years. Parents earned Diamond status simply because they went on a bunch of cruises. Youth and grandparent will inherit the Diamond status because they live in the same house as parents.

Now, that may not be RCI's "unwritten" policy but this is my understanding of how it works. We all know kids inherit their parents status and I have also read on these boards that older people inherit status from their kids if the kids have a higher status. The main point of this policy is that the family members must all live in the same house.

From my personal experience this is how it has played out in our house. Our kids earned Gold status on their own but have inherited Platinum because of the number of cruises that DW and I have taken. They are both over 18 years of age and they have continued to earn cruise points when DW and I cruise.

From my personal experience this is how it has played out in our house. Our kids earned Gold status on their own but have inherited Platinum because of the number of cruises that DW and I have taken. They are both over 18 years of age and they have continued to earn cruise points when DW and I cruise.

The old way they kept track was much more generous. Now, when your child turns 18, they should be on their own. They will have inherited your status (pre18) but should revert to their own earned credits for future status level changes.

If your kids are 18 and still getting cruise points for cruises they did not take, you are lucky, but it is not how it is supposed to work.

I am so tempted to call C&A and ask about my 19yo's status but with my luck they will mess up all of our credits in the process. Maybe I should call since it is Sunday and a part-timer will be working. He can make my son D+ with the rest of us.

I was Platinum when my daughter turned 18 5 years ago...she only cruises once a year (doesn't like it so only goes on our annual T'giving cruise). Only one of those annual cruises in 6 years has been on Royal (for her), so she only has 8 credits. Her level is still Platinum because that's what she was when they did the conversion...she will have to earn all of the 30 (22 more) pts needed to get to Emerald. The only reason I'm sure about this is we were checking the other day as we were talking about this yrs T'giving cruise on Allure. She thought she was still in step with me and I had to burst her bubble...so to speak :D

Our 16 year old daughter is D+ in her own right, she is always in a cabin with a friend and always gets the D+ discount if she is in a balcony!!

Here is my understanding of how family members inherit status. First, you must be family members living in the same house and be enrolled in C&A. It does not matter about age. If one person in that house earns a status, let's say Diamond, then every family member living in that house becomes diamond. Let's say there is a youth-12 years old, a parents-40 years old and a grandparent-65 years old. They all went on an RCI cruise 10 years ago and all enrolled in C&A. They all became Gold at that time. Youth and grandparent never went on another cruise but parents cruised twice a year for the next several years. Parents earned Diamond status simply because they went on a bunch of cruises. Youth and grandparent will inherit the Diamond status because they live in the same house as parents.

Now, that may not be RCI's "unwritten" policy but this is my understanding of how it works. We all know kids inherit their parents status and I have also read on these boards that older people inherit status from their kids if the kids have a higher status. The main point of this policy is that the family members must all live in the same house.

I think it either wasn't enforced before or the policy was different. My kids benefited slightly from the old "policy". The good news is I don't think they will ever "demote" someone (but I'm not certain) so if someone is at a certain level they should never loose that.

So here's another scenario. I am Platinum only because I inherited it from my parents - from my own points only I would be Gold. Now I go with my dh and kids on cruises. I thought they should be the same status as me - Platinum, and I have called about it and they say they adjust it to be. On our recent cruise the luggage tags were all Platinum but their seapass and coupon books were Gold. So, I'm assuming they are not inheriting my Platinum because my actual point count is not Platinum? Yep, it gets complicated!! :D

So here's another scenario. I am Platinum only because I inherited it from my parents - from my own points only I would be Gold. Now I go with my dh and kids on cruises. I thought they should be the same status as me - Platinum, and I have called about it and they say they adjust it to be. On our recent cruise the luggage tags were all Platinum but their seapass and coupon books were Gold. So, I'm assuming they are not inheriting my Platinum because my actual point count is not Platinum? Yep, it gets complicated!! :D

I wondered how that would work. My son is Diamond (by inheritance, not points). It's not happening any time soon, but when he gets married, I wondered what status his wife would have.

Here's another account of how the system is supposed to work. I needed to call RCCL C&A today and pay for an upcoming cruise and I asked about my daughters status and confirmed that she got the correct points from our last cruise. The C&A rep told me that a child will inherit the parents status if they actually cruise with the parent at that level. For example, if you turn Diamond and your child has never sailed with you as a Diamond member before they turn 18 they will not get your status. The child actually gets the status whenever they sail with you and the C&A rep told me they never downgrade status. She said the child will only have the number of points they have earned. It was good that I checked because somehow my daughter was not listed as being in my household and would not receive my status when she turns 18.

Archived