Man overboard on Spirit to Hawaii!

Winyf

Great news!

I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear how he accidently fell overboard.

I wonder if they take the jumpers to "boat jail" for causing so many problems...!! I'm sure they are relieved once they know they are ok and they have them safely onboard .... Kind of like when our kids do something bad .... once we know they are safe and alive we are ready to kill them..!! :)

I am also curious as what they would do with the passenger once they are found to be in good health (physically). Will they let him/her to continue to sail as planned or will he/she be held in the medical area? Cause if they jumped I'm sure they would be concerned it would happen again or needs to be assessed mentally.

I am on board here.Tthey announced a Bravo Bravo about 45 mins ago. They then came on and announced it was a passenger that went over and we were circling around to look for them. Another announcement came that we were heading straight for them and were about two miles out. They asked everyone to look out for the passenger. Finally, a life boat went out and they announced the passenger was alright and in "Good Condition". This is all we know so far. They were very forth coming with the announcements by both the captain and Stu the cruise director.

They just announced that the passenger is back on board and being checked out.

Thanks for the heads up!

Hope you Wade and your Mom have the best time :)

Good news! When we were on the Spirit last month, someone threatened to jump on the first night so they kept him in his interior cabin with a 24-hour guard outside, until we got to Manzanillo and then put him off the ship and flew him home, they take that stuff seriously.

Wow it was bad news, now good news.. Whoever the passenger is, rather fortunate they were found.

This will be an interesting story when all the details are released:eek:

WOW!!! Prayers answered, but they'll continue for the passenger and family!!!

I'm on board to Alaska in three weeks... I have friends on board now! Such an adventure, such stress and worry, such a sad thing... But I will pray for Happy endings!!!

Do you know if he jumped or fell overboard?

I would say it is impossible to "fall" overboard. They either jumped or was horsing around on the railing and went over.

Unless the person was eight feet tall and leaned over too far and fell.

The railing is just too high to "accidently" fall.

LETS HOPE THIS PERSON GETS THE SUPPORT THEY NEED IF THEY TRUELY DID JUMP IT IS AMAZING THAT A PERSON WOULD EVEN THINK OF DOING SOMETHING LIKE THIS BUT IT IS HUMAN NATURE THEIR NOT THE FIRST WON'T BE THE LAST. IF THIS KEEPS UP YOUR GOING TO SEE THE CRUISE LINES PUTTING UP CHICKEN WIRE OVER THE BALCONY OPENING'S:eek:

cruisingcouple2008 leader of the cc group posted this on fb

Because two of my fellow cruise friends who live in Cali- have mentioned it, I want you all to know that we had a terrible incident on board today.

Unfortunately we had a man overboard. This was not a member of our group of about 85 people.

Shortly after Captain Volpi announced we were in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and had past the point of no return, the man jumped overboard.

We immediately heard the BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO PORTSIDE alert and the ship came to a quick slowdown from 23 knots to about 4 knots we turned around and the lifeboats were lowered.

Within moments the man was located and the quick work of the staff of the Spirit rescued the man alive and relatively unharmed.

God Bless these brave workers.

Onward to Hawaii..."

Wow....wow

I wonder...did they jump or "fall"? off a lower deck?? Cause I thought the impact from a higher deck would kill a person in itself?

Was this more a "cry for help" or ??

I wonder if we will ever know, maybe not. Glad he is ok

I would think they have him sedated, in medical area with guards

No matter what the sue happy lawyers say, there really seem to have been no/few "accidents" on ships....just suicides, a few murders and a very few totally drunk people doing stupid things like that lady jumping from balcony to balcony on NCL a few years ago

Hi, I'm on the Spirit now. The guy was asked if he was ok and he said no then jumped. He was on the Serenity Deck. A friend on this cruise talked with the couple that asked him if he was ok. So sad. We were told that his parents were onboard. Guess that took a few years off their lives. Glad he is ok. Have pictures I will post when we get home. The crew was great.

This has been an interesting trip. The first couple of days we were rocking and rolling and many sick onboard. Now this. We will be in Hilo day after tomorrow. Having a great time. The ship is beautiful and the crew is great.

Later,

Archived