please review our Zaandam itinery

Gymjenn14

please review the itinerary i have come up with for my june 10th cruisetour with HAL. the only things set are the whale watching, kayaking, and dog sledding. all the rest are tentative plans and options available (hikes and such that we can select which to do that day). the denali plans were suggested to me over at tripadvisor as a way to get into the park (at least for 5-6 hours) and basically meet the camper bus at Tolkat or switch when the two shuttles cross paths by notifying the driver of our need to get on the camper bus which is guaranteed to get to the train station in time for the anchorage bus departure.

6/9-vancouver

1. Arrive

2. Aquarium-9am-5pm, $21/13, 845 avison way in Stanley park

3. Hotel-hampton inn and suites, 111 Robson Street, 82821984

6/10-vancouver

1. Stanley Park

2. Canada Place embarkment starting at 11m-3pm

6/11-inside passage

1. At sea

6/12- ketchikan (7am-3pm)

1. 7:30-11:30 Ketchikan Kayak Company, $80/50(cash)*

2. Lunch on boat

3. Southeast Alaska Discovery Center – 50 main st, 8am-5pm

4. Creek Street

6/13-juneau (9am-10:30pm)

1. Mt. Roberts – tram, visitors center

2. 11-2 - whale watching trip with orca

3. lunch on boat

4. Mendenhall – MGT (blue) shuttle at main pier, $16, visitor center (Nugget Falls or Eastern Glacier Loop, evening ranger activity)

5. Dinner – boat, Twisted Fish Company, Tracy’s King Crab Shack

6/14 - Skagway (7am-9pm)

1. Visitor Center – 2nd Ave and Broadway (hike to lower dewey lake,gold rush cemetery and lower reid falls), ranger activities

2. 2-430 glacier dog sledding with Alaska Icefield Expeditions and TEMSCO *

3. Popcorn Wagon 565 Broadway

4. Drinks/dinner at Skagway brewing company or red onion saloon

6/15 - Glaicer Bay

1. At sea

6/16 - Gulf of alaska

1. At sea

6/17 - Seward

1. Disembark

2. Bus to denali

3. Visitor center/kennels/savage river/horseshoe lake

6/18 - Danali

1. 5:15or6:15 wonder lake shuttle or 6:00 eielson shuttle ($46/$34)

2. Get off at toklat and take camper bus back

3. Train to anchorage @ 12:15

6/18 Anchorage

1. Westmark anchorage

6/19 anchorage

1. Anchorage zoo or anchorage museum

2. Evening flight

Skagway= skip the visitor center- you will need to have a start right from getting off the ship. I would also spend the entire time on the Dewey Lakes. You would have to be available for the flight check in 30 minutes prior.

In Juneau I would get a rental car, you have all day, and you may want to consider Eagle Beach, Mendenhall Lake kayaking (self), Alaska Brewery etc. Don't bother with Mt. Roberts, if you can't see the top.

I'm assuming you are on a missioin to get to Denali Park? This is an overall poor plan with grossly underestimating time. Not sure why you are taking a bus and shortchanging yourself, significantly by taking the Alaska RR??? Then having lacking plans to fill a day in Anchorage?? The only option I would suggest, is a one way rental car from Seward. Driving to Denali Park and 2 nights there. Not sure if you can't/don't want to drive- or cost? IF cost- sorry- this is by far the best use of your time.

You have asked for advice, Sorry if this sounds harsh- but, "wasting" a valuable day, when you only have two- 50% is a poor plan, if you have to get to Denali.

I agree with most of the suggestions made by the PP. Two nights in Denali makes more sense. Renting a car gives you more flexibility. Some people don't want to drive on vacation. Some people can't rent a car.

1. A DIY tour will work using the park connection bus. Bus leaves Seward 10:30a arrives at Denali 9p. Stay in Denali for 2 nights. June 19th take the bus leaves Denali at 7:45 a and arrives in Anchorage at 1:30p. There is a later bus which arrives in Anchorage at 7:45. Might work if your flight is a red eye flight. Alaska RR could also work if your flight out is very late.
  2. Your cruisetour includes TWT. Experts on this board probably won't agree but if you're going to keep your cruisetour you might as well keep the TWT. TWT will pick you up at your hotel. How do you plan on getting from your hotel to the pick up point for the 5:15 shuttle bus? You're probably not going to have time to go further in the park then you'll go with the TWT. I thought the camper buses were on a space available basis. You won't get on a bus if it's already filled with returning campers. How does the guarantee work? Will they send a van or bus if necessary?:confused: Assuming the camper bus you need to catch is full? Stick with the TWT and HAL has to make sure you catch your train or find alternate transportation for you.

for Vancouver, if you never been to the city before, may I suggest the Vancouver Highlight tour from West Coast Sightseeing? I loved it last year, and they will pick you up at the hotel, and drop you off at Canada Place when the tour ends.

I am suprised this is a HAL cruisetour? If the case, it's one of the worse. 9 hours to get there, Maybe the Natural History tour included? So no getting into the park, then a 8 hour train ride back. It's entirely so so transit, that's it. And it's not free either. I still only recommend a car rental, no matter what the cost. It's the only reasonable choice, if Denali park is a must.

I thought the camper buses were on a space available basis. You won't get on a bus if it's already filled with returning campers. How does the guarantee work? Will they send a van or bus if necessary?:confused: Assuming the camper bus you need to catch is full? Stick with the TWT and HAL has to make sure you catch your train or find alternate transportation for you.

Actually any shuttle or camper bus that you get on or that you take eastbound if not your original bus is on a "space available" basis.

That first camper bus from Wonder Lake is NEVER full. Space is as good as guaranteed. There are only 28 campsites at Wonder Lake, +-30 seats on the camper buses, two camper buses in the morning. The first one that departs WL at 6.30am only has just a handful of people on it.

Now why the OP is planning on rushing to Denali just to spend 1 night there going only to Toklat, then two nights in Anchorage is beyond me!

Actually any shuttle or camper bus that you get on or that you take eastbound if not your original bus is on a "space available" basis.

That first camper bus from Wonder Lake is NEVER full. Space is as good as guaranteed. There are only 28 campsites at Wonder Lake, +-30 seats on the camper buses, two camper buses in the morning. The first one that departs WL at 6.30am only has just a handful of people on it.

Now why the OP is planning on rushing to Denali just to spend 1 night there going only to Toklat, then two nights in Anchorage is beyond me!

One night in Anchorage. I'm pretty sure this is a HAL cruisetour. I suspect the reason they spend a night in Anchorage is to accommodate passengers with a flight anytime the next day.

OK I checked the schedule (6/18). The first shuttle leaves at 5:15a and gets to, OK departs, Toklat at 8:20. The first eastbound shuttle (camper) departs Koklat at 8:40. Buses going and coming are camper buses. That's the only camper bus which will allow them to catch their train.

They have to get from their hotel to WAC in time for the 5:15 shuttle and get from the WAC to the train station.

TWC will pick up at the OPs hotel, will drop them off at the train station and HAL will make alternate arrangements if they miss the train. Doesn't the TWC normally go a few miles past Toklat. I know the regulars hate the TWC but I think it's included with the OPs tour and makes a lot more sense then DIY.

I think the OP would be much happier with 2 nights at Denali.

TWC will pick up at the OPs hotel, will drop them off at the train station and HAL will make alternate arrangements if they miss the train. Doesn't the TWC normally go a few miles past Toklat. I know the regulars hate the TWC but I think it's included with the OPs tour and makes a lot more sense then DIY.

I think the OP would be much happier with 2 nights at Denali.

Has it been deternined the TWT (is that what you are refering to with TWC?) is included? IF so, then forget anything but taking that? Are they "done" by noon?

Has it been deternined the TWT (is that what you are refering to with TWC?) is included? IF so, then forget anything but taking that? Are they "done" by noon?

Tundra Wilderness Tour--I don't check for typos as often as I should.

HAL is currently selling a cruisetour which matches the itinerary posted by the OP and which includes the TWT. The driver will ask if anyone is taking the train and will drop those passengers off at the train station. Doesn't the train leave closer to 12:30? I don't know how often the train is delayed or how many minutes (if any) HAL can have the train held. I have no doubt HAL will do whatever is necessary to accommodate their cruisetour passengers. I wouldn't count on a partial refund if HAL has to arrange bus transportation.

The driver might not even have to ask. Good chance the entire bus will be filled with HAL passengers taking the train.

It's almost 45 days before embarkation. OP booked a cruisetour. He is, or shortly will be, at the point where cancellation penalties will apply.

Seward/Denali

Disembark and enjoy deluxe Explorer Coach sightseeing to Denali National Park

9 Denali National Park

Venture deep into Denali on the Tundra Wilderness Tour, the best way to see wildlife and hopefully Mt. McKinley too

10 Anchorage

This afternoon, board the luxurious McKinley Explorer train bound for Anchorage

11 Anchorage

Tour ends this morning in Anchorage

thanks for the input. this is a cruise tour http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseTourDetails.action?tourId=T2AU4C&voyageCode=X232&webItineraryIdForAudit=AN2S07U4C and there is not an included tundra wilderness tour. looked into canceling the tour portion but it wasn't cost effective at the time.i have emailed our HAL representative regarding a second night in denali but not expecting that to happen until i hear from them. regardless we are aware of the faults of the tour with regards to denali but are trying to make the best of it. aside from the last three days,how does the rest of the trip look?

HAL is not likely to custom make a cruisetour for you., but do inquire. Adding another night would be excellent. Do you have a flight after 11pm?? which you would need if taking the train the following day and still leaving as you state.

You claim it was not "cost effective" to change, but what you have isn't free and it's a poor itinerary- you asked for feedback on this, so flame away. :) You may be past final payment?

I doubt HAL will customize the cruisetour and change the number of nights in Denali or the mode of transportation. The question is if they can (and will) book you on a TWT early enough to catch your train. I know some cruisetours book the TWT and then train the guests out same day.

I think you need to check with HAL. Find out if you can add TWT or what it will cost to cancel the tour portion. Either rent a car or use the park connection buses. I'd check availability of park connection buses and availability (and pricing) of car rentals. You don't have a lot of time. Price rental in Seward with drop off at ANC.

edited to add I checked pricing. Looks like current pricing the tour portion is only around $200 more then the cost of a cruise (oceanview). See if there are any price reductions due you. If my numbers are right you'll be paying more for a DIY tour, but you'll get a much better experience.

Wow, one night in Denali NP, actually probably arriving about 6pm and leaving the next day about noon. Quite sad, but I do like your plan of using the early shuttle bus and the camper bus on the return.

Try to find out when they expect you to arrive in Denali, I assume by bus? If it were me, I would get right into the park that evening as well. Go to the WAC to pick up your shuttle tickets for the next day, see the visitor center exhibits and film, and also check with your lodging re: the current state of the taxi service. There has been a taxi service in the area the past couple of years (at least). If they can't help you, you will need to walk the 1+ miles from the hotel to the WAC for your shuttle bus or else find someone who can drive you (ask at the hotel or perhaps get to Subway early and ask someone coming out of Subway at that hour - most are probably heading to the WAC for an early shuttle!).

Consider renting bikes for Stanley Park so that you can cover more ground. It's huge! With a bike you'll be able to peddle along the seawall, then take some roads into the park to see the rose gardens, totem poles, ponds, etc. Or ride the ho-ho shuttle to get an overview then start walking. There are awesome sunsets on the west side, like around English Bay. It won't be dark until around 9:30pm

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/

In Ketchikan pick up maps at the visitor center for the free walking tour of the town. Even if you only get to Creek Street, give it a try.

And sorry, but as you know the Denali visit is quite a mess. Only you can make a decision about the cost of cancelling. But carefully weigh the cancellation fees against a DIY trip that will give you a full day in the park without worrying about that connection. A car would be about $475 or the Park Connection Bus $375, 2 hotel nights $275.

Have a great trip!

And sorry, but as you know the Denali visit is quite a mess. Only you can make a decision about the cost of cancelling. But carefully weigh the cancellation fees against a DIY trip that will give you a full day in the park without worrying about that connection. A car would be about $475 or the Park Connection Bus $375, 2 hotel nights $275.

Have a great trip!

How about taking the cruisetour as is to get you to Denali and one night in the hotel? Then on 6/18 book a morning shuttle bus to Wonder Lake or Eielson (you can book it for later in the morning so you can be assured of having a transfer from your hotel). Book another night at Denali (same hotel?) on your own and book your own train the next day from Denali to Anchorage on 6/19. If the train gets in too late for your evening flight, then book the Park Connections bus. That bus gets you to Anchorage in the early afternoon for $90/person. So in this way you only pay one night hotel and the bus back to Anchorage. You will have a much better experience and the cost difference is minimal (we really don't know if you are traveling alone or with others, so it is hard to tell exactly how much more it will cost).

How about taking the cruisetour as is to get you to Denali and one night in the hotel? Then on 6/18 book a morning shuttle bus to Wonder Lake or Eielson (you can book it for later in the morning so you can be assured of having a transfer from your hotel). Book another night at Denali (same hotel?) on your own and book your own train the next day from Denali to Anchorage on 6/19. If the train gets in too late for your evening flight, then book the Park Connections bus. That bus gets you to Anchorage in the early afternoon for $90/person. So in this way you only pay one night hotel and the bus back to Anchorage. You will have a much better experience and the cost difference is minimal (we really don't know if you are traveling alone or with others, so it is hard to tell exactly how much more it will cost).

This is an excellent suggestion, that makes excellent use of the short time. Even though there are more costs involved, it is grossly superior for access into Denali.

Archived