1st time to Alaska !

gardenflower_99

DH and I are planning an Alaskan cruise for this summer. I have been reading all the boards trying to decide on what cruise line would be the best for us! We are mid 40's..mid income... not super dressy.. not super casual... looking to mingle with people our age. Also .. does it make more sense to cruise out of Vancouver or Seattle? for sure i know I want to go to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm... My DH has NEVER cruised, and I want this to be a great experience for him. I have a cruised a few times on Carnival to carribean. Thanks so much for any information! :)

We are booked on Princess Sapphire for June 16. We decided last year that this summer we were going to go to Alaska. We have cruised Princess a couple of times and received a really great offer directly from them that we jumped on.

My wife traveled to Alaska over 30 years ago with a girlfriend before we knew each other. Like you, this is my first time.

We are leaving from Vancouver and cruising up to Whittier (Anchorage). From Whittier we are doing a 4 day tour up to Denali with a local tour company. We wanted Vancouver instead of Seattle to maximize the time in Alaska and to be able to fit both a cruise and the Denali trip into available vacation.

We are just trying to figure out cruise excursions, so I am on here today trying to see what different cruise critic folks have experienced.

DH and I are planning an Alaskan cruise for this summer. I have been reading all the boards trying to decide on what cruise line would be the best for us! We are mid 40's..mid income... not super dressy.. not super casual... looking to mingle with people our age. Also .. does it make more sense to cruise out of Vancouver or Seattle? for sure i know I want to go to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm... My DH has NEVER cruised, and I want this to be a great experience for him. I have a cruised a few times on Carnival to carribean. Thanks so much for any information! :)

A superb itinerary with both Glacier Bay and tracy Arm is HAL round trip Vancouver.

You will find people your age on any cruiseline.

One way out of Vancouver or to since you are already flying would be my first decision. While you do have to do open jaw flying you get one more scenic day and I think better port hours for one ways.

If you really want to go "casual" NCL. IMHO Princess/Hal aren't as stuffy as some people make them. With their two formal nights you can get by without jacket/tie-suit but I'd say 90% do that are better. On non-formal khakis and a polo shirt works for dinner.

I personally would look for a cruise that does Glacier Bay and College Fjord or Hubbard than Tracy Arm.

does it make more sense to cruise out of Vancouver or Seattle? for sure i know I want to go to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm... ! :)

Vancouver is more scenic - (Seattle voyages have some open water time)

Based on your want to do both Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm & remembering my own research (We havn't gone yet, but we have gone through the planning phase) you need to look at Volendam. We chose that ship partially because we too wanted to go to Glacier Bay (with Tracy Arm being a BONUS).

Vancouver is more scenic - (Seattle voyages have some open water time)

Based on your want to do both Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm & remembering my own research (We havn't gone yet, but we have gone through the planning phase) you need to look at Volendam. We chose that ship partially because we too wanted to go to Glacier Bay (with Tracy Arm being a BONUS).

Volendam a HAL Ship ??

Hi! I am going on the Coral Princess out of Vancouver on June 11th. I decided on Vancouver since we have an excursion booked to go see Victoria. I really wanted to see Burtchart Gardens. We are also doing the train tour and extending 3 nights land in Denali Park, then home from Anchorage. I am 45 and sound much like you. You are welcome to join us. We have a group of teachers out for the summer.

I went on another Princess ship earlier this month so I am super excited it is on Princess again. Their crew is uncomparable!

There is no need to get that formal on HAL - I do not believe on a 7 day cruise you will have more than 1 formal night. You could post this question on the HAL forum and they could tell you. We cruised HAL for 21 days to the Panama and I do not believe we had more than 2 (but I could have forgotten) HOWEVER I will guarantee you there were hardly any Tuxedo's. We love HAL and are doing a cruise on the Zuiderdam in September 2012 that includes Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay and are happy with the cruise itinerary and our choice.

Whatever you choose you will have a great time!

There is no need to get that formal on HAL - I do not believe on a 7 day cruise you will have more than 1 formal night. You could post this question on the HAL forum and they could tell you. We cruised HAL for 21 days to the Panama and I do not believe we had more than 2 (but I could have forgotten) HOWEVER I will guarantee you there were hardly any Tuxedo's. We love HAL and are doing a cruise on the Zuiderdam in September 2012 that includes Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay and are happy with the cruise itinerary and our choice.

Whatever you choose you will have a great time!

We're booked on a 7 day HAL cruise and there are 2 formal nights.

Archived