First cruise on RCI

Hey all!

I am taking my grandson on an Alaskan cruise for his birthday next June. He will be 10. I am a bit nervous about having him stay in the kids' club. So on those lovely sea days, what activities are there that might interest a young man?

I have cruised before (Princess and Celebrity) so I know that there are plenty of things to do, but I have never cruised with a child before.

Thanks for any hints, tips and advice!

Grammy and D!

Don't be worried about the kid's club. The staff are well trained and they all have some degree working with children. He will also get to meet other children his age to hang out with. As far as activities, there is usually an arcade and mini golf. I am not sure if there is a pool with a retractable roof so you can swim. I know when I went to Alaska There was an enclosed pool, but that was before kids so I am not sure if he could use that pool or if it was the adults only pool.

My son was 11 last summer and he went to AO on Freedom. He LOVED it! He is saying to me that AO was the best part of the cruise:eek:

He was safe the whole time. You can choose to allow him to leave on his own or choose that he cannot leave without you picking him up. We chose the latter. We didnt want him wandering around the ship alone

Your son will do great!

Hey all!

I am taking my grandson on an Alaskan cruise for his birthday next June. He will be 10. I am a bit nervous about having him stay in the kids' club. So on those lovely sea days, what activities are there that might interest a young man?

I have cruised before (Princess and Celebrity) so I know that there are plenty of things to do, but I have never cruised with a child before.

Thanks for any hints, tips and advice!

Grammy and D!

I think it can depend on the child and how much they enjoy making new friends. On our first cruise my girls stayed with us all the time. It was not a problem, we seemed to have plenty of family things to do.

On the second cruise we went in a large group and they hooked up with loads of kids.

On our last cruise they were too old for that sort of thing, one still made friends, the other preferred to sit in the shade and read.

The main thing is that you spend your vacation having fun, doing what you enjoy doing and not feeling like you should join in clubs etc.

It is a great present by the way. Do you want to be my granny too?

Nice thing about inside passage "sea days" is that there is always shore to view. See Days really. That age might be perfect for first camera and there are lots of cheap digital cameras for kids. With a little help on setting up shots and composition he could have a ball taking pics of both the ship and the shore. Catch some Eagle or a Whale pics too. Along same line a simple pair of binoculars to view shore and look for wildlife (deer, bear, etc...) can entertain for hours.

Nice thing about inside passage "sea days" is that there is always shore to view. See Days really. That age might be perfect for first camera and there are lots of cheap digital cameras for kids. With a little help on setting up shots and composition he could have a ball taking pics of both the ship and the shore. Catch some Eagle or a Whale pics too. Along same line a simple pair of binoculars to view shore and look for wildlife (deer, bear, etc...) can entertain for hours.

Nice post. My grandsons would want to be watching the shore also. Lots to see on an Alaska inside passage .

I didn't think of the camera and binoculars! I may have to give him some for his ninth birthday (when I tell him about his 10th!).

We will be on the Rhapsody of the Seas.

D is pretty good at making friends...Grammy is just being a nervous nilly! LOL! I don't think that I will allow him to check himself out of the kids club. I wouldn't want him to get lost on that big ship. His mom and dad may have words for me if I misplace him even for a few moments. They kinda like him!

I am sure that we can find fun things to do. I just like to plan things out...usually doesn't work when you have kids however! LOL! Thanks all! I appreciate the hints.

Great idea!

M

Archived