Navigator to the West Coast?

DON M.

I thought about this. I am not sure that a Voyager class ship wouln't fit. There are cargo ships a lot bigger than a Voyager class ship that go into San Pedro everyday.

What I was thinking was the 90 degree turn it has to make into the port slot. When sailing on the Monarch, which is 140' shorter, it seems that there is just enough room to back her out. The Vision is 105' shorter. I am looking at the arial map for San Pedro and have marked the berth with a red X. Large cargo ships park along the main waterway. See what you think.

What I was thinking was the 90 degree turn it has to make into the port slot. When sailing on the Monarch, which is 140' shorter, it seems that there is just enough room to back her out. I am looking at the arial map for San Pedro and have marked the berth with a red X. Large cargo ships park along the main waterway. See what you think.

Looking at it you are probably right. San Diego works for me to though. Driving time would be about the same and the traffic in San Diego is much easier.

If they were to use San Pedro, I would think they would use the terminal along the waterway versus the one they are currently using. Back in the old Viking days, they used the other terminal. They moved when Carnival moved out. Actually, I like the idea of San Diego. When we sail out of SD, we take the train down to SD and walk the short walk to the pier. Leave our car at Fullerton because there is no charge for parking and it is in a covered parking garage.

San Pedro will not be a problem for a Voyager class ship as Princess is sailing their Grand Class ships out of there now. They may not be able to use the same berth as the Vision/Monarch but departing from the NCL/Princess berth would be a possibility.

As for basing the ship in San Diego, don't count on it. It seems the port of SD charges very high fees for docking which is why the Vision has stopped calling here. Rumor had it they were considering stopping the SD port call on the Monarch itins as well but that never materialized.

What I was thinking was the 90 degree turn it has to make into the port slot. When sailing on the Monarch, which is 140' shorter, it seems that there is just enough room to back her out. The Vision is 105' shorter. I am looking at the arial map for San Pedro and have marked the berth with a red X. Large cargo ships park along the main waterway. See what you think.

....now that I think about it, I did see the Diamond Princess berthed in that slot in April '04 the day before my cruise. I even have video of it sailing out of that berth.... but when I looked it up, that ship is still only 950 ft compared to the Navigator at 1020 ft. 70 feet is alot of footage. :p

Do the side berths have indoor seating?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, the latest I've heard is that the idea has been tabled. Managment is said to have anaylized the financial projections and doesn't feel a ship sailing from LA/San Diego could demand the same or higher fare as one sailing the Caribbean. So, at least for the near term, there are no plans to place a Voyager size ship on the West Coast.

Personally, I think a ship out there needs a covered pool area, something the Voyager ships lack.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived