colosseum underground tour help

1st-timer28

I am really confused about booking this tour. I wanted to buy the Roma Pass, and also book the underground tour. Can I book this tour online or do I need to call? I don't want to do the private tour. I read somewhere I can buy the underground for 9 euros if I have the Roma pass. Or can I buy the tour when I get there? Any help would be great!! Thanks!

I am really confused about booking this tour. I wanted to buy the Roma Pass, and also book the underground tour. Can I book this tour online or do I need to call? I don't want to do the private tour. I read somewhere I can buy the underground for 9 euros if I have the Roma pass. Or can I buy the tour when I get there? Any help would be great!! Thanks!

from my research it is my understanding that you must be on a guided tour for the underground and third tier...of course I am sure someone will chime to say I am mistaken about this!LOL

Regardless, I just bought tix for my family and comparing their price to plain old Colesseum tix, I though the difference was negligible for what we were getting as I just love the Colesseum and the opportunity to walk in the gladiators footsteps did it for me.

from my research it is my understanding that you must be on a guided tour for the underground and third tier...of course I am sure someone will chime to say I am mistaken about this!LOL

Regardless, I just bought tix for my family and comparing their price to plain old Colesseum tix, I though the difference was negligible for what we were getting as I just love the Colesseum and the opportunity to walk in the gladiators footsteps did it for me.

When I put in our dates 3 tour choices are presented.

http://www.tickitaly.com/tours/colosseum-rome-tour.php

Colosseum Dungeon Private tours

Colosseum tickets

Colosseum Guided tour

Does the third option include the underground? Or must you chose a private tour. The third option does not list the underground specificly in it's description.

When I put in our dates 3 tour choices are presented.

http://www.tickitaly.com/tours/colosseum-rome-tour.php

Colosseum Dungeon Private tours

Colosseum tickets

Colosseum Guided tour

Does the third option include the underground? Or must you chose a private tour. The third option does not list the underground specificly in it's description.

no you spefically have to buy underground and 3rd tier tickets. Dungeon is probably referring to Underground. They have specific times and languages scheduled. try this websit..weekend initaly,com the prices were better than ticketitaly and they had live chat..took about 2 minutes to get a response from a lady name Maria. weekend initaly may also go by the name weekend in florence or weekend in venice etc...but you can get tix for all cities on the website regardless of name.

just double checked my vouchers...go to weekendinfirenze.com and kids under 12 DO NOT need a ticket for the underground tour..they are free..and I was told to only buy 5 tickets..via the quick real time emails from Maria. If you have trouble just start searching for a website that says weekend initaly, it will surface. LOL

Hello,

After reading a thread on tripadvisor about the re opening of the underground visit, I bought my ticket there last week from the official colosseum ticket vendor:

http://www.ticketclic.it/Gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm

You need to press on the collect onsite button and enter the date. Once done, you will get a list of tour available. You need to choose:

UNDERGROUND TOUR ENG

You need to book a tour to be able to go underground. Unfortunately, you cannot book online if you also want to buy the Roma Pass. You need to call.

Also, unless you are living in Europe, the kids have to pay the same price as the adults.

Hello,

After reading a thread on tripadvisor about the re opening of the underground visit, I bought my ticket there last week from the official colosseum ticket vendor:

http://www.ticketclic.it/Gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm

You need to press on the collect onsite button and enter the date. Once done, you will get a list of tour available. You need to choose:

UNDERGROUND TOUR ENG

You need to book a tour to be able to go underground. Unfortunately, you cannot book online if you also want to buy the Roma Pass. You need to call.

Also, unless you are living in Europe, the kids have to pay the same price as the adults.

no I specifically checked this out ans all kids under 12 are free at the Colesseaum and she knew that we were US citizens when I asked her. and back in 2008 when we first went to the Coles. my then 7 year old was indeed free and she is now 11 and still free. some website will not mention this little fact, but as I said I specifically asked the question, but since I am always skeptical, I will be printing out the emails and bringing them with me.

also, go to en.venezia.waf.it and look up the prices for this tour and it is one of the few that actually say under 12 is free. and I was told NOT to buy a ticket for the 11yo. I wouldn't chance not buying one unless I was sure as it is not worth the worry.

FWIW..I just went back and read my emails from the ticketing agency and I specifically asked them about age, the number of tix to buy and the fact that we were US citizens...and indeed only 5 tix were need for my family of 6..she was very clear about this. However, I must say that this little known tidbit is kept quiet on the other websites and as I mentioned back in 2008 the 7yo was free and I believe we also did not pay for our then 12yo at the Colesseum.

also, I have found that the Vatican website is the only place where non EU citizens can buy reduced tix for youth. All other sites insist on charging you the same price regardless of age. ALso, it does depend on the venue wether you get reduced tix as reduced prices are few and far between for non EU citizens. But lets face it the Italians do what they want anyway and it wouldn't surprise me at all if you walked up to the gate and they gave you the EU discount regardless of your nationality.LOL

It looks like the weekendinitaly.it is the official site. NOTE the .it not .com

Use the official website - the tickets are much cheaper than other tours.

If you want to use the roma pass you have to ring so you have to work out how much this will cost you and when it is a good time to do it. We called just as they opened in Italy and it only took a minute or so to book via phone.

It looks like the weekendinitaly.it is the official site. NOTE the .it not .com

Use the official website - the tickets are much cheaper than other tours.

If you want to use the roma pass you have to ring so you have to work out how much this will cost you and when it is a good time to do it. We called just as they opened in Italy and it only took a minute or so to book via phone.

weekendinitaly isn't the official website.

Please use the site suggested by dbabe on trip advisor for booking:

She knows what she is talking about and it is much cheaper and includes free entry to the forum and Palatino hill.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k5317994-You_can_now_book_the_colosseum_underground_tour-Rome_Lazio.html

Last summer I used tickitaly to book a tour of the Colosseum underground and you can do the same from this link http://www.tickitaly.com/shop/product.php?productid=532&visit_date=19-05-2012

It is called the Colosseum and special levels tour in their website.

This shows the cost (27.50 for adult etc), and as tickitaly are a reseller it includes a 6 euro admin fee for each ticket. Our party of 6 was a mix of young and old, for whom there were decent concessions, and you get a guide in the Colosseum and entry to Palatine Hill and the Forum so I thought it was still good value to go with them. You print your own voucher which is exchanged for tickets on the day at a window inside the Colosseum. That all went very smoothly. Having said all this, the link provided by Zazou (post 6) seems to work fine and there is no admin charge.

We selected the 1 pm (English) tour and were advised to get there an hour in advance as it was a weekend (30 minutes for weekdays). In the event we had ample time and in our case we could just have well have turned up at 12.30 From memory there were 16 on the tour.

We spent around 90 minutes in the Colosseum - at the end the guide says goodbye and I imagine you can stay as long as you wish in the middle level.

At about 3.00 in this

shows the extent of the underground tour, so you can't walk out and be directly underneath the centre of the arena but you will still see enough to get a real idea of what it was like. If you have a small pair of binoculars I'd take them as you will be able get another view looking down from the 3rd tier when your guide takes you up there.

Your ticket also gives entry to Palatine Hill and the Forum

While this is not as spectacular or dramatic as the Colosseum it is still well worth doing, but it is not at all well signposted so be armed with a good guide book and/or Rick Steves' free podcast. We spent an hour there.

All in all it was a terrific afternoon, and I hope you are lucky enough to do it if this is your wish. It is made clear that if the underground floods and is inaccessible no refund will be given (but your guide will still explain all about it), but hopefully you will not be concerned about that eventuality.

All the best, Tony

en.venezia.waf.it

the above is the web address I used to get to weekend in Italy.

Peruse the colesseum and underground/3rd tier tix and that is where you will see that under 12 for this particular venue is free...and I confirmed this little tidbit of info as well.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed their information here. It's been very helpful!

I'm wondering how far out you can purchase the guided tour tickets online. I attempted to book for September of 2012 and was told nothing was available. I tried 2 different dates, a Sunday and a Monday.

I'm hoping they are not all sold out already!

I'm now considering booking this tour for my family. If I book online on the website, will the ticket confirmation include instructions on where/how to go about meeting up with your tour/tour guide inside the Colosseum? How does this work?

When you exchange your confirmation for your ticket at the site, you will be advised where to meet your group and guide. My sister and I did this last year and it was well worth the price! The guide does the hypogeum and third tier, about 90 minutes, then you're on your own for the rest. Oh, and you're given a radio/headset to wear on the tour so you don't have to stand in the guide's face to hear what s/he is saying...

Thank you to everyone who has contributed their information here. It's been very helpful!

I'm wondering how far out you can purchase the guided tour tickets online. I attempted to book for September of 2012 and was told nothing was available. I tried 2 different dates, a Sunday and a Monday.

I'm hoping they are not all sold out already!

I just went to the direct booking site for the Colosseum, Omniticket. The dates are loaded through the end of August. I could have bought tickets any day through August 31. However, when I tried to put in a date for September, I got an error message.

I'm guessing that at the beginning of May, the web sites will load the September tour options and you'll be able to make your purchase.

I just booked the underground tour using the omniticket. I saw the date and various available times available when I looked yesterday but decided to wait. I went in to check the tour times again today as we need a late tour and the Colosseum tours weren't there at all. None. Had quite a scare! Especially since we know we need to take their last tour for the day on a particular day, and we're leaving in 2 weeks. I then started to look for other underground tour options with private tour companies but they are quite a bit more. I tried omniticket again 1 hour or so later and the tour loaded...whew! Booked my tickets asap after calling wells Fargo to approve the euro purchase. So....just wanted to share this experience as there might be periodic glitches in the system, so try again. Also, I didn't find it very user-friendly to find the underground tour specifically. Thanks to this post and tripadvisor I was able to follow the steps and get my tickets confirmed. For anyone waiting to book this tour and don't want to spend the $ for private tours you might want to pull the trigger sooner than later.

Thank you Zazou! I used the phone number in the link you provided. Made my reservation for 9.50 euros each. Will be using the Roma pass with the tour. It was really easy to call and book.

Could you let me know the number you called? I can't seem to locate it and we are also wanting to use the RomaPass at the Colosseum so I guess we have to call to reserve the underground tour. Also...how long did your call take? I'm just wondering what its going to cost to call.

Thanks

Debbie

Could you let me know the number you called? I can't seem to locate it and we are also wanting to use the RomaPass at the Colosseum so I guess we have to call to reserve the underground tour. Also...how long did your call take? I'm just wondering what its going to cost to call.

Thanks

Debbie

This is the number I called: 011 39 06 39967700

The call took a total of about 8-10 min. I was not on hold very long and the lady that helped me was very prompt and quick. I called using Google voice through my husbands computer and it was 2cents per min. I have heard that people call using Skype as well.

I called today by Skype and it was so quick and easy. Got my tickets for 9,50 euros since we are using the romapass. Just wondering....did you get an email confirmation of your ticket purchase? I was told they would send an email confirmation but still gave me a confirmation number over the phone, I just never got the email and wondered if I would need that to pick up my tickets?

Yes we got a confirmation within a few minutes. Did you check your junk mail? Sometimes it goes in there.

I think as long as you have a confirmation number you will be fine. You can probably use that at the ticket window...

Archived