Luggage question

magpieman

Ventura - Western Med Cruise in June from Southampton.

So we arrive at the port and give our car keys to the nice car park man who takes our car, do we then have to take our luggage to the ship?

How far is it?

Will we have to put labels on our luggage with our cabin number?

Can someone give the run down of what happens. Sorry for the newbie questions but you guys have been there and done it all before. ;)

As soon as you get your luggage out of your car, its taken by the luggage guys and you then just take your carry on things to the ship with you. Make sure your cabin number labels are on your luggage before you get it out of the car, otherwise who knows where it may end up!

It can be some hours before it turns up in you cabin (and we have had to get our steward to find our bags on one or two occasions as they were very slow at arriving), but at least you don't have to struggle with your own suitcases.

Don't forget that you can take soft drinks etc in your carry on, as they can be more expensive on ship, depending what and how much you drink. As its Southampton, you don't have far to carry anything!

Have a great cruise.

You should have already received a car parking sticker with the name of the ship on to attach to your windscreen if you have booked with CPS.

You should receive personalised luggage labels with your cruise excursion book six weeks before departure.

You drive up to the cruise terminal. You will find there are plenty of people to direct you. Your cabin luggage is taken from you. You get a receipt for your car and then walk into the terminal with your hand luggage to check in.

It's all very easy and well organised

Brian

Once you have got rid of your car just walk into the terminal building and you will be directed to check in. Depending what time you arrive you will be given a card with a letter on it, say "G", you then wait till your letter is called then go to the check in desks.

You will need your passport plus your tickets, you will then be asked for a Credit Card which they swipe and this is your onboard account. You will get a card, like a credit card which is your room key and your card for anything you buy onboard.

Then walk through security and you are onboard.

Enjoy your cruise I am sure you will and come back for many more.

Magpie

The process is VERY quick and you have to have your wits about you... On our first cruise the porter unloaded all our cases and wheeled them off before we had a chance to look round, he also wheeled off my hand luggage! So , as you pull up, check the number of cases are loaded onto trolley (and that can be as many as you want..2,3,4, etc,) CHECK you have taken everything out your car as within seconds it will be driven away from you by a CPS driver (have you got coats, camera? , etc etc), While the porter is unloading you will be signing a form to have your car removed, KEEP this form with your passports in your safe in the cabin as you will need it when you get off the ship to release your car keys to you can collect your car - don't pack it in your luggage. The car park is very near to the baggage hall.

Here is a photo journey from approach to dock gate to embarkation, this was taken at Ocean Terminal, you maybe at this one or perhaps Mayflower.. find out which dock gate you are at before you set off as you approach Southampton docks you will need to be aware of dock gate number to get in right lane..

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/NewOceanTerminalBerth46May09?authkey=Gv1sRgCMmwg_iQk5nJswE#5342423009479201858

click link above.

You should have already received a car parking sticker with the name of the ship on to attach to your windscreen if you have booked with CPS.

You should receive personalised luggage labels with your cruise excursion book six weeks before departure.

You drive up to the cruise terminal. You will find there are plenty of people to direct you. Your cabin luggage is taken from you. You get a receipt for your car and then walk into the terminal with your hand luggage to check in.

It's all very easy and well organised

Brian

Brian

I travel in 3 weeks, and I think a new procedure is in place with CPS, you now have NO key fob or window sticker.... you have to print off a A4 window sticker onto white computer paper, fold in half and attach to screen (how naff eh)

Magpie

Obviously before you leave home, take car key off your keyring and keep separate to hand in at docks, leaving house keys for you to look after...

Brian

I travel in 3 weeks, and I think a new procedure is in place with CPS, you now have NO key fob or window sticker.... you have to print off a A4 window sticker onto white computer paper, fold in half and attach to screen (how naff eh)

LL

The "new" procedure has been in force for about a year now and works well.

The self printing window sticker is fairly new though

Brian

Boarding is done in order of time of arrival at the terminal.

Brian

Oh that's interesting, because our paperwork states boarding at 2pm. We will probably arrive a couple of hours earlier but I wouldn't like to wait in the lounge all that time.

Oh that's interesting, because our paperwork states boarding at 2pm. We will probably arrive a couple of hours earlier but I wouldn't like to wait in the lounge all that time.

Checkin and boarding starts at noon. There are usually a lot of people at that time and it may take 30-40min to process them after which there is a bit of a lull until coaches start arriving around 1pm. Lunch is served in the self service restaurant. You are given a lettered card when you arrive and then called forward in groups to check in and then board. This is at Ocean terminal where the lounge is before check in. At Mayflower the lounge is after checkin and you amy have to wait a short while in the lounge.

Brian

I found on both my Ventura cruises that check in opened soon after 11.30!

I have a 15.00 check in time for Oceana on tuesday but will eat a good breakfast in the hotel and call a cab to the Ocean terminal at about 10.30

Last cruise I was given a 'D'. hold on, she said, you are travelling on your own, have a 'A' :D

This forum is great. Thanks for all the replies there are some great tips, it sounds as if the procedure is well organised but forwarned is forearmed as they say.

I've looked through my documentation and I have indeed been sent a sticker from CPS for the windscreen. :)

Really looking forward to our first cruise.

If arriving by taxi it just draws up, there's immediately a porter ready to take your luggage, and you walk into the terminal building to get your boarding card ready to be called for check-in, simple as that.:)

What?

Can someone please tell me the procedure if parking the car elsewhere and arriving by taxi at the terminal?

Archived