Live from the Golden

cynbar

We just had 3 weeks on the Golden. Paul was the cruise director during our sailing from San Juan-New York-Southampton. He can usually be found in the Sports Bar for a little while in the evening. If you see him, tell him hi from the Duke and Duchess of Seattle.Dan Smith

I am cruising to the British Isles on the Golden July 1.

I live on Mercer Island!!

Just curious if I could call you before I leave. I have a question about taxis in Dublin.

Thanks,

Lynn Beaufrere(I am in the book)

We got home yesterday (or I guess really today) - about 12:30 AM.

June 11 British Isles cruise was wonderful. There have already been many posts about the stops and tours so I don't think I need to go into detail on those. We really lucked out with weather. The seas were so calm - I really didn't even know I was sailing!!!!! I thought for sure having a balcony would be a waste because of the planned for bad weather, but what a surprise - I was out on the balcony every day.

I think the biggest surprise as far as ports went was Kirkwall. I had no idea what to expect, but found it delightful.

We spent 3 days in London post cruise and were definitely not prepared for 90+degree weather, but we managed to walk our feet off anyway, see 3 plays (1 each day), spend a lot of money on food (which is not hard to do in London) and in general just have a great time.

Everything went smoothly until we got home - last leg of a 17 day trip and the luggage didn't make it home - it got here the next morning so no big deal.

That's it for now - will be glad to answer any specific questions anyone might have.

Elaine

Hi everyone!

as Logie (hi there!) pointed out, the trains do not run as often on Sundays. The link for the train schedules is: http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/index.php

Check the schedule before you leave, the pursers desk gave fellow cruisers wrong info telling them the trains went every 15 minutes, even on sundays.

happy cruising!

We got home yesterday (or I guess really today) - about 12:30 AM.

We spent 3 days in London post cruise and were definitely not prepared for 90+degree weather, but we managed to walk our feet off anyway, see 3 plays (1 each day), spend a lot of money on food (which is not hard to do in London) and in general just have a great time.

That's it for now - will be glad to answer any specific questions anyone might have.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

I would really love to hear more about the London part of your trip as we are planning to do the same.....ex. what plays did you see & how did you get tickets (if you went to Leicester Sq. for tickets, how early in the day do you recommend and are there any other tips?)

Did you do any walking tours and/or hop-on-off buses and which companies would you recommend. If you would like to answer me directly, or else on the board, I would love to hear from you:) . Thanks.

Nancy (ermmfm@rogers.com)

Nancy, we took a walking tour today with my amateur dramatic group of Shakespears's London. It was excellent. I will post about it on the Northern Europe board on Monday. It is bed-time now and we are shattered from a very busy weekend. Will bring the info onboard to 1st July sailing.

Cinnamon

Lynn/Logie,

Welcome home!

Although we will be doing the Western European Capitals on July 31st, I loved reading your reviews and if you'd like to pour over your pics with someone outside your family, we'll be up at our Vegas home July 9-23rd and would love an indepth overview!

Jeani

j18ktleo@adelphia.net

I would like to know if the show lounge/theater & the dining rooms are cold. From past cruising, I have experienced very cold dining rooms. This will help to know how to dress & whether to pack a sweater. I am on the 7/21 sailing & doing the traditional late seating. Thanks!

Must drill on the 5/22/05 sailing was pre-sailing (I think 4PM, if I remember right).

I'm always cold, so I thought the dining rooms were chilly, but I don't know if others would agree with me. We had late traditional dining.

We were on the June 11 British Isles. Muster was pre cruise (about 4:00). We had late traditional too and I was always chilly in the dining room. I can't remember about the lounges/theaters, but I always carry a sweater with me.

Even tho the Patter said that you had to use Princess transportation in & out of the port, there were taxis waiting at the port to take people into Dublin.

We have a rather long port call in Dublin. Can you use taxis to get to and from the ship in the early or late evening, from 6-10 PM?

Not sure if there were taxis available in the evening. There is a city bus provided for Princess transfers to and from the ship ($4 each way - they will charge it to your room). The last bus back was at about 5:30. Most everything closes up by 5 anyway. We took a morning tour and stayed in town after and walked all over - took just about the last bus back. I think they stay in port late so that people can partake of the evening dinner show/tour offered. There was an Irish show on board that evening and it was great.

Question for those who have done 'Amsterdam on your own'. We are looking at booking a private tour that leaves from an office near the Central Station and the info on the Princess bus to Amsterdam says we are dropped off at 'museum square'...where is that and is it a long haul to the Central Station from there? :confused:

Jeani

Question for those who have done 'Amsterdam on your own'. We are looking at booking a private tour that leaves from an office near the Central Station and the info on the Princess bus to Amsterdam says we are dropped off at 'museum square'...where is that and is it a long haul to the Central Station from there? :confused:

Jeani

It's not right near it. If you do a search for the canal bus you'll be able to see on the map just how far apart they are. Frommers also has a map of the sites in Amsterdam and you should be able to see on that.

We have a rather long port call in Dublin. Can you use taxis to get to and from the ship in the early or late evening, from 6-10 PM?

Spongerob,

There should be no problem getting a taxi back to the ship later in the evening. I was concerned about that prior to the cruise and it turned out to not be an issue. My recommendation is for the pub crawls. You will have a great time in Dublin!

KG in Tennessee

Lynn/Logie,

Welcome home!

Although we will be doing the Western European Capitals on July 31st, I loved reading your reviews and if you'd like to pour over your pics with someone outside your family, we'll be up at our Vegas home July 9-23rd and would love an indepth overview!

Jeani

j18ktleo@adelphia.net

I am not the best photographer, and it is tough to take pictures when you are cold and trying to move along quickly, but I will email you my web shots site so you can view the slide show

Thanks, Elptn. I'm sure that the pubs are open past five!

Any comments on the off-ship dinner show in Dublin?

I did not hear of one single person who did this show??

And in case no one mentioned this the pubs close in London at 11:00 p.m. Can you beleive that!! :(

Archived