Say goodbye to DODs and Hurricane cups

dotshub

Just got off the Dream, and as of this week, they no longer have the Drinks of the Day or the big plastic hurricane cups they used for them.

Instead they have a "Daily Drink Special", which is in a smaller glass, at a "sale" price of $7.55 or 7.75. No more discount for refills. Another Carnival tradition bites the dust after 35 years.

Very sad.

Just got off the Dream, and as of this week, they no longer have the Drinks of the Day or the big plastic hurricane cups they used for them.

Instead they have a "Daily Drink Special", which is in a smaller glass, at a "sale" price of $7.55 or 7.75. No more discount for refills. Another Carnival tradition bites the dust after 35 years.

Very sad.

Carnivore loves cutbacks. Newbies love em. No more shrimps and escargot gone. Whats next? Chocolate Mint on Pillow

grrrrr!!!!

Very sad.

Are you sure that their shipment of cups just didn't come in? Was this confirmed by anyone of some type of authority on board?

This seems strange. Its not even a cutback. Those cups probably average out to be less than 5 cents each with the amounts Carnival purchases. They make tons of money on them. I can't see them getting rid of the cups. Daily Drink Special vs Drink of the Day just sounds like the same thing under a different name.

Carnivore loves cutbacks. Newbies love em. No more shrimps and escargot gone. Whats next? Chocolate Mint on Pillow

Not a fan of cutbacks but you cannot blame Carnival for the escargot drought. This is an industry wide thing :rolleyes:

Shrimp cocktail....I can agree with.

What no more sugary 80% slushy ice way overpriced artifically dyed drinks! I'll survive fine with my BV bottle of rum drank straight up or over a few cubes.

Finally a change that doesn't affect me.

What no more sugary 80% slushy ice way overpriced artifically dyed drinks! I'll survive fine with my BV bottle of rum drank straight up or over a few cubes.

The drinks are still available. According to what the OP is saying the CUPS are no longer available and there will no longer be a discount for refills.

No, no...they are still there....just called "Daily Drink Specials" now - I guess :rolleyes:

exactly my thoughts .No more rum punch with alittle banana liquor and cheap rum( and not much rum either)

Is this a late April fool's joke?!?

I wish!

One of the bartenders I talked to said it was the first week of the change, I dont know if this is some kind of test by Carnival waiting for feedback or if its a done deal. Or how soon it will spread to the rest of the fleet.

I know the bars had different signs where they used to say Drink of the Day, and which flavor it was, and how much it cost. the new signs read something like this: (sorry, i should have taken a pic)

Daily Drink Special $8.75 (price crossed thru, and then $7.75 written beside it ).

So i guess if you bought one days' flavor on a different day it would cost an extra dollar.

First day was the normal funship special. Other days were different than the usual flavors. And the glasses they were served in were about the size of the glasses they use for cokes. smaller than the hurricane cups.

And the glasses they were served in were about the size of the glasses they use for cokes. smaller than the hurricane cups.

Well, I have never sailed before, so not sure of the size, I was just looking forward to getting the first DOD in a hurricane glass. Overall, no big deal, just would have been nice to partake in the "tradition"....

Well, I have never sailed before, so not sure of the size, I was just looking forward to getting the first DOD in a hurricane glass. Overall, no big deal, just would have been nice to partake in the "tradition"....

Agree, it's not very festive to run around with a thin plasic glass. It's tradition to overpay for that hurricane glass.

Isn't this already in place on Liberty since 2.0 upgrades?

I seem to recall they no longer have the DOD glasses on Liberty,

they have the Rum Bar etc huge glasses, the new "blowfish" and disco ball

available at some point but no more DOD "Best day" or whatever glasses?

My guess is they will start selling the "yard" glasses etc, like they do on Liberty. Carnival may have figured that Senor Frog's is making $$ on them

and they plan to follow??

Dod was originally designed to be sold to be people as they laid on their loungers in the sun.

It is hard to sell these drinks when the occupants of most of the lounge chairs are towels, cheap paperback books and towels. Ever seen a sandal buy a dod? Neither have I.

Archived